Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.
View Poll Results: What decade would it be manufactured?
1960s
0%
1970s
0%
1980s
100.00%
1990s
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Vintage Fuji Sagres - any info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 12:24 PM
thevintagefuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage Fuji Sagres - any info?

Hi everyone - first-time post here. I've had this bike passed down from a family member who has since passed, so I can't get any info from the original/last owner. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the year this might be from, and if it is a sought-after model etc. I won't be selling it, but I wanted to know how much it is worth and whether I should put money into restoring it further. Any info would be appreciated! The site won't let me add pictures for some reason, so any work around this would help. Cheers from Canada.

Serial number starts with SI.

Last edited by thevintagefuji; 04-17-23 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added serial #
Old 04-17-23, 12:40 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by thevintagefuji
Hi everyone - first-time post here. I've had this bike passed down from a family member who has since passed, so I can't get any info from the original/last owner. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the year this might be from, and if it is a sought-after model etc. I won't be selling it, but I wanted to know how much it is worth and whether I should put money into restoring it further. Any info would be appreciated! The site won't let me add pictures for some reason, so any work around this would help. Cheers from Canada.

Serial number starts with SI.
You can add photos to your gallery in your profile page.

This is a 1986 Sagres. Notice the MSRP handwritten on it.

Old 04-17-23, 12:43 PM
TugaDude

And this is 1985, for example. Cheaper by quite a bit. You can find most Fuji catalogs online.

Old 04-17-23, 01:02 PM
TugaDude

Pic Assist...

Old 04-17-23, 01:09 PM
TugaDude

It is probably mid 80s, maybe 1985. That might be what they referred to as Platinum, not sure. 1984 had a color called Slate, but it appears darker in the catalog.

As far as value, it is in decent condition, not great, not a rust bucket, but one thing that would exclude it from any interest from myself and probably others is the dent in the seat tube. That's a pretty good crease. Will it cause the bike to fail? Doubt it, but it is unsightly and personally I never purchase a bike with dents.

I think that frame would fit many, so that helps as far as popularity.

Is there any value in restoring it? No. Refurbishing yes. It might make someone a decent, dependable rider. I'm thinking college students, etc.
Old 04-17-23, 01:23 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Classified as a "Sport Touring" bike. The Valite frame and relaxed geometry provide a very nice riding and handling bike. I have an '86 and it's one of my favorite bikes to ride. Well worth restoring and/or upgrading.
Old 04-18-23, 03:38 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by TugaDude

As far as value, it is in decent condition, not great, not a rust bucket, but one thing that would exclude it from any interest from myself and probably others is the dent in the seat tube. That's a pretty good crease.
I'm not seeing the dent.
Old 04-18-23, 06:28 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I'm not seeing the dent.
There appears to be a dent just below the decal on the top of the seat tube. Looks like a crease in the metal to me. Could be something else but sure looks like a dent to me.
Old 04-18-23, 09:06 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 1,774 Times in 638 Posts
There appears to be a dent just below the decal on the top of the seat tube. Looks like a crease in the metal to me. Could be something else but sure looks like a dent to me.
I'm seeing what looks like a dent also in this location it looks like it could cause problems with the seat post. With the post crammed the whole way down I would be concerned that it is stuck . For me a significant dent in this location would be a deal breaker. As for dating based on the clamp on shifters and brake levers I would say it is likely a 1984 built bike sold in 1985.
Old 04-18-23, 11:08 AM
Jeff Neese

I agree with you that a dent (any dent, to me, no matter how small) is disqualifying. I'm not saying this isn't dented, but I'm still not seeing it. I guess the OP is going to have to weigh in.
Old 04-18-23, 11:23 AM
TugaDude

This is where it appears to be. I say appears because all I can do is go with what my eyes tell me,

Old 04-18-23, 04:54 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
An odd location for a dent but the OP will have to let us know. Otherwise I think the Sagres is worthy of new consumables and bearing service. A good mid level machine. Before investing in any parts be sure that the seatpost and stem are adjustable and that the wheels are reasonably straight and round and hubs are not sloppy