Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-23, 07:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
This is like your warm up period for you isn't it?
lol it was enough to get my 'fix'. You know you're from a snow burden state when you squeeze in a quickie in between life's priorities.
Old 08-18-23, 08:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts

Boeing Field

Lk Washington

Mupitude

More Lk Wa

Old 08-19-23, 02:02 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Got in a hot and humid 51 miles. However the St. John's River was very calm today.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-20-23, 12:52 PM
Troul 

75 miles. Went thru more hydration than expected.
Old 08-20-23, 04:15 PM
lex further

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I didn't ride today. That was way too hot. Planning to wake up at 6 am tomorrow when the temperature is still ok for riding. I am proud to say that i found a service which will write my paper for me https://paperfellows.com/write-my-paper, so i can spend more time riding these days. Late August - September is my favorite time of the year when the temperatures are still warm, but it is getting a little cooler than in the summer days. That's the time when i do long couple of days cycling trips.

Last edited by lex further; 08-24-23 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-20-23, 08:18 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
21.2 miles this morning with two 6% short climbs. Felt like a swamp out there. A new high visibility tech shirt I tried out would not even dry during the ride and stuck to my body. Maybe too heavy of material.
Likes For macattack71:
Old 08-20-23, 08:48 PM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
49 miles for my first ride after moving back to Hawai'i and I definitely was not up on my hydration.
Likes For 808HIcycler:
Old 08-20-23, 10:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

We are having severe smoke conditions today, so took a leisurely Zone 1 ride so as to not breathe too deeply. Covered 22 miles of total flat lands, but saw a couple of interesting sights.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-22-23, 06:13 AM
Troul 

Breezy 38 miles.
Old 08-22-23, 06:34 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 347 Posts
69 miles and 6k' gain this morning. Unseasonably nice weather right now. It was drizzly and in the 50s when I left the house...I was up in the cloud layer, it dried out about a mile down the hill and was perfect riding weather the rest of the day.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 08-22-23, 10:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
69 miles and 6k' gain this morning. Unseasonably nice weather right now. It was drizzly and in the 50s when I left the house...I was up in the cloud layer, it dried out about a mile down the hill and was perfect riding weather the rest of the day.
Nice climbing! Now I have climbers envy.

We had 3 days of wildfire smoke from British Columbia and E Washington. Got some ocean air in today and the smoke cleared and temps were in the low 70s. After a day off, felt energized and decided to climb the local hills. The gradients range from 5 to 14% so I went after the steeper ones trying to get a few PRs on some of the faves. Managed 4 and one 3rd fastest on a half miler. Distance was 42 with 3200’ on 2-3 mile climbs. Went to an Irish themed restaurant for dinner. It was a good day,

Last edited by rsbob; 08-22-23 at 11:51 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-22-23, 10:48 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 347 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Nice climbing! Now I have climbers envy.

We had 3 days of wildfire smoke from British Columbia and E Washington. Got some ocean air in today and the smoke cleared and temps were in the low 70s. After a day off, felt energized and decided to climb the local hills. The gradients range from 5 to 14% so I went after the steeper ones trying to get a few PRs on some of the faves. Managed 4 and one 3rd fastest on a half miler. Went to an Irish themed restaurant for dinner. It was a good day,

Today's ride was actually a pretty "flat" ride for me, usually my rides are on the other side of the golden ratio. I've learned to love climbing, as there aren't many flat roads around here.

Nice pics, the mountains in the PNW are just more "dramatic" looking than the west slope of the Sierra. We've got high mountains and plenty of climbing, but it's a very gradual buildup from the valley floor. Most of the really gnarly road climbs around here involve climbing out of river drainages and up a ridge line...or just mountain passes from the east slope.
Old 08-22-23, 11:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Today's ride was actually a pretty "flat" ride for me, usually my rides are on the other side of the golden ratio. I've learned to love climbing, as there aren't many flat roads around here.

Nice pics, the mountains in the PNW are just more "dramatic" looking than the west slope of the Sierra. We've got high mountains and plenty of climbing, but it's a very gradual buildup from the valley floor. Most of the really gnarly road climbs around here involve climbing out of river drainages and up a ridge line...or just mountain passes from the east slope.
My mother lives in Auburn, CA and I have driven the roads all over the Sierras in a 200 mile radius on road trips with her. In my teens and 20s I skied Heavenly and Alpine and Squaw, but would go as far south to ski Dodge Ridge. The rides around Auburn are rather punchy with short steep climbs but as you know, there are plenty of grades which go up and up at 3-5% for miles (Folsom to Auburn). I should have left one of my bikes with her the last time I was down. Next time I fly, I will take one and leave it.

and the 3200’ I did today was in about 9 miles. Legs still feel fine.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-22-23 at 11:55 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-23-23, 01:37 AM
MelvinBass

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I ride 20 miles, I broke my previous 18 miles record. hehe
Likes For MelvinBass:
Old 08-23-23, 09:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MelvinBass
I ride 20 miles, I broke my previous 18 miles record. hehe
New records are new records! Keep it up.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-24-23, 04:19 AM
MelvinBass

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rsbob
New records are new records! Keep it up.
Thank you.
Old 08-24-23, 12:11 PM
Airwolf641

Bikes: Giant Cypress 2

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm trying to average 20 miles every bikeride and hope to increase that soon.
Likes For Airwolf641:
Old 08-24-23, 06:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

47 miles with 2500’. Special guest was Harper. She is a real sweetheart.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-25-23, 08:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

So my work\life balance took a crappy turn this week, so I decided to take the day off and get a ride in. I was forced to stop at 65.37 when my chain broke. Well, it was a quick link failure, which reviewing the link, realized it was completely my fault. I did a re-wax of my chain the other day as it had been about 1500 miles since it took a swim in the hot wax bath. So when I put my quick link back on, I am guessing I did not get the inside part of the link on completely. As I was crossing a bridge, I came out of the saddle to put some more power in, I was lucky to maintain control of the bike as I almost put it on the ground. I initially thought I broke my pedal, then I realized my chain was on the ground. Chain looked ok as the hole did not look stretch out, but the quick link plate was bent. I thought I had a spare link in my bag, and I did, but it was for Shimano, and I am running SRAM now, so had to call my wife to come get me. So that was a day eh! After I got home, I realized I did not scrape all the wax off the inside outer plate, so it did not get a good lock.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-26-23, 12:58 AM
Troul 

65.37 is great, sucks that it was interrupted by a mechanical issue. IMO, toss that chain for a new one.
Old 08-26-23, 08:36 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Flat, hot and humid 41 this morning.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 08-26-23, 11:49 AM
Troul 

73 miles thru flooded counties.
Old 08-26-23, 01:25 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Troul
65.37 is great, sucks that it was interrupted by a mechanical issue. IMO, toss that chain for a new one.
Took the same bike out today for a hot and humid 40, rode fine, no noise or issues, but I have a chain on order to replace it. I thought about just removing the 2 links on both side, should be ok, but not sure if it would be too short for the 33 tooth cog I run, but I feel like it might be a little tight. Once the new chain comes in, I will put that on and then remove those links and keep it for spare links or I can use it with or sell it with a 28 tooth cog I have.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-26-23, 01:38 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Took the same bike out today for a hot and humid 40, rode fine, no noise or issues, but I have a chain on order to replace it. I thought about just removing the 2 links on both side, should be ok, but not sure if it would be too short for the 33 tooth cog I run, but I feel like it might be a little tight. Once the new chain comes in, I will put that on and then remove those links and keep it for spare links or I can use it with or sell it with a 28 tooth cog I have.
I've had a relatively new chain that busted a roller & another chain that the QL came off. Shortly after each one was put back together, it either came apart again or caused some noise that wouldn't go away. I've not let a 3rd mishap occur, as it might not end well for me next time. So now I stockpile new chains... downside is if technology changes & brings out a 1x15, chances are I'll have useless stock on hand if I make the switch. Lol
Old 08-26-23, 08:41 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Troul
I've had a relatively new chain that busted a roller & another chain that the QL came off. Shortly after each one was put back together, it either came apart again or caused some noise that wouldn't go away. I've not let a 3rd mishap occur, as it might not end well for me next time. So now I stockpile new chains... downside is if technology changes & brings out a 1x15, chances are I'll have useless stock on hand if I make the switch. Lol
So I took the chain off, removed all the wax and looking at every by eye looked ok, however once I brought out the calipers, it showed that the distance between the rollers for the first four links were off from one another. The first gap was .0015 and then it steadily reduced until the remaining links I checked were pretty much the same distance. Chucked the chain in the recycle bin. That was an interesting experiment I hope never to repeat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.