Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Brooks Cambium

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Brooks Cambium

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-23, 02:44 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Brooks Cambium

I realize saddles are completely subjective but I’m curious if some of you like Brooks Cambium on long rides and tours.

I tried a C15 a while ago and my butt didn’t like it. Specifically, the shape of the saddle between the area where the sitbones rest had a bump/rise that pushed into my perineum. The shape was like the letter C (turned 90 degrees). Everything else about it was very comfortable.

I picked up a C17 and because it’s wider, that bump isn’t bothering me. Sit bones go where they do, and the space between them is flat. It’s more like the letter D. One short ride seemed good. Going to try a 2hr ride tomorrow. If it’s really good I’ll keep it. And I’m hoping it would be good on the longest rides I usually do (and beyond as I work on increasing distance).
Old 09-03-23, 03:14 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
What we think won't matter. What you think will. For example. I do not like the Cambium saddles. I prefer their leather ones. Also, perineum pain with a saddle, especially the Brooks, is due to how the bike is set up. generally speaking it results from a too high saddle height, or too much reach. The seat being too far forward can cause it too. Generally though, dropping the saddle height will magically fix the problem, never to return again.
Old 09-03-23, 04:21 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I have 2 c17's and a b17 and prefer the C17's altho I like the B17 too. I can do 100+ mile rides and never once think about the seat. my longest ride is 111 miles and seriously never once thought about the seat, zero perineum discomfort, I have done many 80mile + rides this year on the C17's one is a C17 special which is slightly different than the regular C17 but both are nice for longer rides. mine are set perfectly level.

Last edited by jadmt; 09-03-23 at 04:24 PM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 09-03-23, 08:30 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
I've switched to Cambium C17 this summer, after going through my third leather saddle in four years..

The Cambium may not be as comfortable as worn leather, but I could ride 100kms (60 miles) wearing regular shorts and underwear. Until, that is, we experienced hot weather (close to 40C/100F), at which point it became seriously uncomfortable after 50kms (30 miles), sweaty pants sticking to the saddle surface.

Lightly padded bike pants appeared to solve the problem, by wicking away the sweat.

The plan is to ride next summer on the Cambium.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 09-03-23, 08:52 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by gauvins
I've switched to Cambium C17 this summer, after going through my third leather saddle in four years..

The Cambium may not be as comfortable as worn leather, but I could ride 100kms (60 miles) wearing regular shorts and underwear. Until, that is, we experienced hot weather (close to 40C/100F), at which point it became seriously uncomfortable after 50kms (30 miles), sweaty pants sticking to the saddle surface.

Lightly padded bike pants appeared to solve the problem, by wicking away the sweat.

The plan is to ride next summer on the Cambium.
How did you manage to go through three leather saddles in four years? Mine is still perfect after 12 years, and my brother still has the Brooks that came on his used bike in 1972.
Old 09-04-23, 07:56 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by phughes
How did you manage to go through three leather saddles in four years?
Soaked after a night-long rain followed by a day-long ride. Once is enough to alter the shape, 3-four times and the saddle gets uncomfortable. WRT Selle Anatomica (by far the most comfortable saddle I've owned), they are known to stretch over time. I could probably get one more season but would rather start a long tour with a fresh saddle.

I am still undecided. I plan a cross country ride on Cambium + Patagonia's Nether bike liner (which doesn't feel like a diaper and can be worn during dinner in town). I am also considering purchasing a new Selle Anatomica skin. Will eventually update.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 09-04-23, 08:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I ride a C13 on most used long distance bike at the moment. I also use a B17 and Berthoud Aravis on other long distance bikes. The C13 is not quite as comfortable as either of the leather saddles but is considerably better than the light racing saddles like Fizak 3D Printed POS saddle and others. Not dealing with rain is worth the tiny loss of comfort. I have to be careful with positiioning when down on the aero bars to keep the boys happy, otherwise a fine saddle.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 09-04-23, 08:18 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I ride a C13 on most used long distance bike at the moment. I also use a B17 and Berthoud Aravis on other long distance bikes. The C13 is not quite as comfortable as either of the leather saddles but is considerably better than the light racing saddles like Fizak 3D Printed POS saddle and others. Not dealing with rain is worth the tiny loss of comfort. I have to be careful with positiioning when down on the aero bars to keep the boys happy, otherwise a fine saddle.
been thinking of trying a C13 as someone has one for sale locally. I guess a bonus is quite a bit lighter than the c17 altho a few ounces is forgotten a 100 miles into a ride...
Old 09-04-23, 08:19 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by jadmt
been thinking of trying a C13 as someone has one for sale locally. I guess a bonus is quite a bit lighter than the c17 altho a few ounces is forgotten a 100 miles into a ride...
It was rail shape, not weight for me.
Old 09-04-23, 08:26 AM
jadmt

i wonder will this seat post work with the c13 rails?
Old 09-04-23, 09:50 AM
phughes

Soaked after a night-long rain followed by a day-long ride. Once is enough to alter the shape, 3-four times and the saddle gets uncomfortable. WRT Selle Anatomica (by far the most comfortable saddle I've owned), they are known to stretch over time. I could probably get one more season but would rather start a long tour with a fresh saddle.

I am still undecided. I plan a cross country ride on Cambium + Patagonia's Nether bike liner (which doesn't feel like a diaper and can be worn during dinner in town). I am also considering purchasing a new Selle Anatomica skin. Will eventually update.
Gotcha. Yeah, Selle Anatomica saddles don't hold up as well as the Brooks, but they are definitely a very comfortable saddle. My B17 has been soaked many times over the years but it still good. I do keep it treated with Proofide, when I remember it, and I do carry a cover. If it is parked outside and I believe it may rain, I cover it. I have a good Brookes cover, and a simple shower cap. If it begins to rain while I am riding, and it looks like it will be a fairly heavy rain, I will quickly throw the shower cap over it. I don't obsess over it though.
Old 09-04-23, 10:10 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
I am also considering purchasing a new Selle Anatomica skin.
I'm sure you know, but for others, the Selle Anatomica Series 2 saddles have consumer-replaceable tops, and there's a choice of tops including tensionable weatherproof rubber. Note: Brooks England Cambium rubber saddles (made in Italy) do not have any tension adjustment.
Old 09-04-23, 10:52 AM
gauvins

Originally Posted by tcs
I'm sure you know, but for others, the Selle Anatomica Series 2 saddles have consumer-replaceable tops, and there's a choice of tops including tensionable weatherproof rubber. Note: Brooks England Cambium rubber saddles (made in Italy) do not have any tension adjustment.
Yes. thing is that I emailed SA asking for advice (rubber vs leather) and the exchange devolved into a complaint resolution script (different support staff interjecting at different points). I was in Europe at the time (touring) and was able to get Cambium locally, so I never closed the loop with SA.

Have you tried their rubber skin? If so, did it work for you?
Old 09-04-23, 02:02 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Have you tried their rubber skin? If so, did it work for you?
No, sorry. I like their leather.
Old 09-04-23, 03:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I have C17s (or same width Cambiums) on 4 or 5 bikes so I like them.
Old 09-04-23, 10:23 PM
flyingowl_

Bikes: Dahon-Tournado(touring)/KHS F-20R(commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am using c17 on my commuter, really nice saddle, but need adjust to a comfortable angle.
Old 09-05-23, 06:19 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
My C17 has served me well for ten years. That said, I haven't taken any high mileage trips on it. My only quibble is that the older fabric top develops a tear near the nose. It's happened twice. If I buy another I'll try the newer rubber top.

Old 09-05-23, 07:34 AM
jadmt

what was it about the rail shape (i know the c13 is different) that you went with the c13?
Old 09-05-23, 07:38 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Interesting thread since the OP doesnt ask anything or push for others to chime in.

But then here are all these responses. I really think thats mainly due to how much this saddle is enjoyed.
I have 3 old style C17s with the cotton tops that fade to an unmatchable tan, and 2 current C17s with the 'weatherproof' top. Only 1 has a cutout and while I like it, I really dont think about it any more or less than the non-cutout style.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-05-23, 10:38 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by flyingowl_
i am using c17 on my commuter, really nice saddle, but need adjust to a comfortable angle.
What is the issue?
Old 09-05-23, 01:17 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Interesting thread since the OP doesnt ask anything or push for others to chime in.

But then here are all these responses. I really think thats mainly due to how much this saddle is enjoyed.
I have 3 old style C17s with the cotton tops that fade to an unmatchable tan, and 2 current C17s with the 'weatherproof' top. Only 1 has a cutout and while I like it, I really dont think about it any more or less than the non-cutout style.
Haha I knew folks would jump in so I figured I would toss this out here and see how she goes
Old 09-05-23, 03:17 PM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by jadmt
what was it about the rail shape (i know the c13 is different) that you went with the c13?
7 x 9
Old 09-07-23, 05:34 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I have a c17 canvas with the same worn nose, and a "all-weather" carved c-17. I prefer the carved all-weather.

I also have a B17. It's very comfortable, but for my daily rides, I prefer the C-17 so I don't having to worry about rain, snow and salt.
Old 09-07-23, 11:53 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I realize saddles are completely subjective but I’m curious if some of you like Brooks Cambium on long rides and tours.
The Brooks Cambium saddle line is a direct result of Brooks not wanting to lose the ever-growing "vegan" marketplace where mostly young people refuse to purchase any animal based products for food or clothing. Or bike saddles. It's a gimmick. A nicely thought out and well made gimmick, but nonetheless, I firmly believe that in a world with fewer "tender sensibilities" regarding animal products / by-products that the Cambium line would not exist. Unless Brooks is running low on those special cows.
-
A good thing to keep in mind is that 99% of EVERYTHING is made from animals or petroleum. Even vegetables (if they were ever fertilized). So before you go through needless suffering, realize that the alternative to animals is likely petroleum made.

If you must get a Brooks, get one (or more) of the leather ones. Seriously.

(Disclosure: I rode Brooks saddles exclusively for 30 years. Then IMO synthetic materials far outpaced the comfort level of my best Brooks saddles. Back in the day Brooks leather saddles were hands down the best, longest lasting, most comfortable (after break-in) saddle you could buy. Past 20 years I've gone with modern (Space Age) materials, research, and manufacturing. Only so much you can do with a slab of leather, or rubber covered in cotton)

^^That said, the Cambium saddles do not feel comfortable to me. Your results may vary.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-07-23 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-07-23, 12:00 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts

I leave my saddle cover on when it rains like that. Rode through many rains events, saddle is still going strong.