Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire Pumps- for backcountry

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tire Pumps- for backcountry

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-23, 09:08 AM
Vaughan51

Bikes: Mountain Goat Escape Goat, Rocky Mountain Edge, Salsa Fargo Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
F* mini pumps. My pumps are as big as the frame will allow them to be. I'm a fan of Zefal pumps.

My repair kit also has a few valve guts and the tool for it. One more thing you should carry, a piece of canvas. If you slash your sidewall you would not be able to repair or replace the tube because it would pop at the gash unless you wrap it in said canvas.
I need to look at valve guts they should be easy enough to put in with the tube patches. I do carry a roll of gorilla tape 1" wide. It makes for good rim tape and it seems strong enough to patch a sidewall. Although I do change my tires out annually so I'm guessing as a gravel rider the chances of splitting a side wall are remote.
Old 09-08-23, 09:23 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
If you boot a tread hole using the Park boot, don't expect it to last more than 10 miles on rough terrain. Use a piece of old tire and duct tape it to the inside. Trust me, I learned that lesson very well but only once.

I have a couple Lezyne pumps, they have never let me down. You just have to learn to use them properly.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 09-08-23, 03:57 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I bought this Tiakia pump the other day and I'm extremely impressed with it.

Amazon.com : Tiakia Mini Bike Pump,Portable Compact Bicycle Pump,High Pressure Frame Pump 260PSI- Air Hand Pump Fit Presta, Schrader & Woods Valves,Aluminum Alloy Durable Tire Pump for Road/Mountain/BMX Bikes : Sports & Outdoors

Has a dual sliding cylinder so it expands to 3 times it's length. Haven't tested the "260 psi" rating but filled a tire on a scooter in seemingly a dozen strokes. Quite well made.

As an aside, I don't understand why you need a high volume pump to find a leak in a tube? What am I missing?
I got one as well. Highest rated pump on Amazon. The biggest complaint about it (ie, why it's not even higher rated) is that when used on presta valves it may unscrew the core on removal. There's a simple fix though: use the presta Schrader screw on adapter and this issue becomes a non-issue.

I was surprised at the apparent build quality and ease of use.