Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bicycling can make our Mind and Body younger, but does it change our Cells?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 09:17 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts

I'm grateful for the benefits Bicycling has given me. The elevator died in our 20 floor office building. Even young fit people pooped out after 10 floors. Like all of us bike riders, I was just getting warmed up at that level.
On the other hand, there are things that are genetically lying in wait for us. They are programmed into our cells. The ugly things we all have seen our friends or parents endure that start with the letters....
I sure wish bicycling could change my hand in those matters. Or can it?

Last edited by AJW2W11E; 08-21-23 at 09:21 PM.
Likes For AJW2W11E:
Old 08-21-23, 09:36 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
We are genetically programmed with lots of different genes, but many require that something press a button to make them run. That button is bigger and easier to push if we are sedentary, take part in certain chemical pleasures, or are otherwise unhealthy. And should you hit that button anyway, being physically fit will help you get through treatment and increase your odds of recovery.

My family has a history of health issues which I have somehow managed to avoid so far (knocks on wood), and I give cycling a lot of credit for my good health and lack of problems.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 08-21-23, 10:17 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
My family has a history of high cholesterol that many choose to manage with a pill. I'll manage it with a pedal.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 08-22-23, 04:15 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Yes.

Effects of exercise on cellular and tissue aging - PMC (nih.gov)
Likes For Jughed:
Old 08-22-23, 09:32 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
It's just too much fun to not cycle.
That is what my brain cells tell me.
When my time is up, I hope to go gently in the night.
Until then = ride on! With vigor.
And celebrate the day.
Old 08-22-23, 11:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Lifestyle certainly affects how our genes are controlled, which in turn greatly affects our potential healthy lifespan. Science is now showing that genetics only play a relatively small part in determining how quickly we age. I think something like 15-20%. The rest is down to our lifestyle choices. Good news for those less fortunate in the genetic lottery who are able to make good lifestyle decisions. For example smoking alone knocks 15 years off the average lifespan along with all the associated ill-health along the way. Regular exercise on the other hand slows down the aging process.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-22-23, 12:58 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 837 Posts
The Fountain of Youth is genuine and well-known for those willing to listen: exercise and eat right.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-22-23, 01:09 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I'm grateful for the benefits Bicycling has given me. The elevator died in our 20 floor office building. Even young fit people pooped out after 10 floors. Like all of us bike riders, I was just getting warmed up at that level.
On the other hand, there are things that are genetically lying in wait for us. They are programmed into our cells. The ugly things we all have seen our friends or parents endure that start with the letters....
I sure wish bicycling could change my hand in those matters. Or can it?
Years of working construction and industrial maintenance makes my feet and knees from doing steps easily. But riding keep those things and my back working enough to keep working at all
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 08-22-23, 02:47 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Cycling has definitely changed my cell. I used to have an Iphone but with all the apps and sensors I run now I needed something with better battery life. Hence, a larger cell. Instead of 3 hours, I can now ride 10 hours non-stop. Cycling has definitely kept me young, or at least it's fooling this old body
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 08-22-23, 11:18 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by John E
The Fountain of Youth is genuine and well-known for those willing to listen: exercise and eat right.
Agreed 100%. But,....and unless,...
One gets some cancers, or tumors, or a bad surgery, or Parkinson's or severe memory loss, or dementia, or all of the above, or....(fill in the blank)
The USA food supply & distribution system is massive and seeks efficiency. Citizens have been GMO'd and hormoned extensively for decades now, maybe science will someday discern the effects.

Then there are those who lived near crop dusted fields. Downwind from nuclear test sites. Downstream from nuclear, industrial, or agricultural discharge sources. Close to airports. Military exposures (agent Orange thru mid-east oil fires & burn pits)

you ain't gettin out of this life alive.
Old 08-23-23, 05:16 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Agreed 100%. But,....and unless,...
One gets some cancers, or tumors, or a bad surgery, or Parkinson's or severe memory loss, or dementia, or all of the above, or....(fill in the blank)
The USA food supply & distribution system is massive and seeks efficiency. Citizens have been GMO'd and hormoned extensively for decades now, maybe science will someday discern the effects.

Then there are those who lived near crop dusted fields. Downwind from nuclear test sites. Downstream from nuclear, industrial, or agricultural discharge sources. Close to airports. Military exposures (agent Orange thru mid-east oil fires & burn pits)

you ain't gettin out of this life alive.
The environment we live in is what ultimately causes us to age and eventually malfunction and die. Regular exercise and good nutrition helps to protect our bodies against the adverse ageing effects of our environment. Obviously it helps if we don’t live in a very polluted environment!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-23-23, 05:35 AM
Jughed

Loose quote from Joe Friel:

You will die at some point, but live better, stay healthy and die quickly - or don't and die slowly.

I've shared here before that I'm T2, and that quote rings loud and clear in my mind. I could die slowly with kidney failure, loosing limbs, neuropathy, blindness, stroke...

Cycling, especially at Z2 levels, increases mitochondrial function, improves insulin resistance at cellular levels, lowers body fat - improves just about everything. All T2 indicators and symptoms are nonexistent...

My FIL is in his 70's, has cycling group friends and non active friends. The difference in their appearance, mobility, overall health between the groups is very evident. Active, vibrant old men vs guys just struggling to walk in some cases. Look at Joe Friel himself - I pegged the guy in his 60's, the man is 80.

You have to assume the benefits begin at the cellular level...

This is an 80 year old man... im guessing his cells are doing just fine.
Old 08-23-23, 08:02 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Uhh, how would fitness, or any other physiological process, occur without changing cells?
Old 08-23-23, 10:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

‘Atomic veterans’ overwhelmingly denied benefits for illnesses related to radiation exposure during service (nbcnews.com)

Live long and healthy to US veterans. Yeah, right.
Old 08-23-23, 10:44 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Old 08-23-23, 10:54 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
According to David SInclair, longevity is 80-90% epigenetic. A bit deeper than cells, but I guess the answer is "yes"
Old 08-23-23, 11:52 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
First of all, the original post is a bit of a mis-statement. Nothing actually makes one younger, better health and feeling younger, or better, for sure. I think the two biggest factors in how one ages are; first, the genes inherited when born, the second being environmental factors. Everything else kind of follows along with those.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-23-23, 01:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
It also helps to be healthy enough and have the freedom to live a lifestyle that allows the individual to devote the time, energy and resources required to live a lifetime of "exercise and eat right."

Some posters seem to believe that everyone starts out with the same state of good physical/mental health and the same living conditions, and those that ate and exercised "right" stayed healthy or even improved, while those that did not follow the guidance of nutritional and exercise "experts" all became unhealthy if not physical wrecks as a result.
Old 08-23-23, 03:42 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Exercise and diet can help a person to enjoy a better quality of life as we age, but it won't reverse ageing. I don't care how many internet experts claim to have a secret to longevity, it's biologically impossible to reverse ageing no matter how you exercise or what you eat... As far as "eating right ", there are way too many variables and interpretations of what a proper diet is, some people eat what is considered unhealthy by the " experts " and they still manage to live to be 90 or 100 years old. Nutrition is so simple and yet so many people make it way too complicated
Old 08-23-23, 10:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
As stated above, being physically active will not ensure longevity but from what I have read, your flame will burn brighter and then extinguish more rapidly than the sedentary beset by prolonged illness and a slow death.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-24-23, 05:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
As stated above, being physically active will not ensure longevity but from what I have read, your flame will burn brighter and then extinguish more rapidly than the sedentary beset by prolonged illness and a slow death.
Physically active people's flame (or "active" lifestyle) may become dimmed sooner than expected by illness, accident/injury or financial or environmental circumstances despite their best intentions and/or compliance with an "expert" or author's recommended exercise or diet regimen.

Bicycling is fun and healthy; don't believe in tall tales about it's magical prophylactic powers to ward off disease/illness, or as an ersatz Fountain of Youth.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-24-23 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-24-23, 08:15 AM
Jughed

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Physically active people's flame (or "active" lifestyle) may become dimmed sooner than expected by illness, accident/injury or financial or environmental circumstances despite their best intentions and/or compliance with an "expert" or author's recommended exercise or diet regimen.

Bicycling is fun and healthy; don't believe in tall tales about it's magical prophylactic powers to ward off disease/illness, or as an ersatz Fountain of Youth.
Not a fountain of youth...

But

Not only can cycling (exercise in general) help ward off disease, but it can absolutely reverse some diseases. Heart disease, T2 Beetus, hypertension...

Take insulin resistance/T2 for example. T2 can be caused by a disfunction of mitochondrial cells.

Role of Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Insulin Resistance | Circulation Research (ahajournals.org)

Z2 exercise can prevent and fix mitochondrial disfunction... and that condition can cascade into all sorts of complications/diseases.
Old 08-24-23, 09:10 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Exercise and diet can help a person to enjoy a better quality of life as we age, but it won't reverse ageing. I don't care how many internet experts claim to have a secret to longevity, it's biologically impossible to reverse ageing no matter how you exercise or what you eat... As far as "eating right ", there are way too many variables and interpretations of what a proper diet is, some people eat what is considered unhealthy by the " experts " and they still manage to live to be 90 or 100 years old. Nutrition is so simple and yet so many people make it way too complicated
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike

This is a good readable book by an “actual expert” on the aging process and how we may be able to slow it down or even reverse it to some degree. These are real scientists doing actual peer reviewed science. Big Pharma is already starting to worry about future profits.

https://www.amazon.com/Lifespan-Why-.../dp/1501191977

Exercise and nutrition are apparently very important factors in determining how quickly we will age and eventually die of age related illness. You can certainly stack the odds either in your favour or against with some fairly simple lifestyle choices and they are not always completely intuitive.

Last edited by PeteHski; 08-24-23 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-25-23, 09:28 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
I was just reading in Faster After 50 that athletes tend to have longer telomeres which typically get shorter in non-active people after each cell replication.

Wikipedia defines a telomere as “A telomere (/ˈtɛləmɪər, ˈtiːlə-/; from Ancient Greekτέλος(télos) 'end', and μέρος (méros) 'part') is a region of repetitive nucleotide sequences associated with specialized proteins at the ends of linear chromosomes. Telomeres are a widespread genetic feature most commonly found in eukaryotes. In most, if not all species possessing them, they protect the terminal regions of chromosomal DNA from progressive degradation and ensure the integrity of linear chromosomes by preventing DNA repair systems from mistaking the very ends of the DNA strand for a double-strand break.”

So yes, dear reader and OP, cycling can change your cells.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-25-23, 11:15 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Several here have pointed out illness, injury, etc/ as factors beyond our control that can drastically affect the aging. But - this from experience (and no, I have not done the double blind study or documented this in any useful way) - bicycling radically affects how prepared my body is to deal with those issues.
Likes For 79pmooney:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.