Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding with bruised/broken ribs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 08:17 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts

Have any of you tried riding with bruised or broken ribs? I think I damaged my ribs a couple weeks ago in a bike crash, hurts to climb or stand up, but can ride without pain otherwise. Think I am good to go? I took a couple days off the bike after the crash, and my physical therapist told me to take it easy lifting and twisting for the next 4 weeks. Had an unproductive argumentative time with the work doctor (He wanted to treat my scratched back for some reason, refused to treat my hand which was bleeding badly, and continued to engage with me about the tetanus vaccine after I told him there wasn't a chance in hell)
Old 08-29-23, 08:38 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Dear sweet Larry,

Ride your bike and if it hurts, ride slower.

My experience was with a rock garden and a hardtail last year. Bucked me off and proved to me just how good my leg guards are. My chest was not protected.

This was early April and it hurt through maybe September or October last fall. Every day was better than the previous.

I never stopped working, playing with my kids, riding my bike, rock climbing, or laughing, though they all hurt. Pretty much all the time.

I think you’re going to live.

Edited to add, get the tetanus shot dumbass.
Old 08-29-23, 08:51 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Yep…… had a very bad accident ending up basically impaling myself on the handlebar stem of a vintage steel Peugeot. Broke pretty much every rib on my right side taking about a month before I tried getting back on a bike and just let my body tell me what was too much.
Old 08-29-23, 09:31 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
The most important thing is to ignore the advice of the doctor.
Old 08-29-23, 10:00 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Another player decked me with an elbow in an ice hockey game 4 weeks ago and busted three ribs. I kept riding but pulled the plug on ice hockey until they healed.

I've broken a lot of bones over the years. They really do not hurt compared to neuropathy pain
Old 08-29-23, 10:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Try to keep the rubber side down while healing - it reduces the time to heal = Bigly.
Old 08-29-23, 11:47 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
...Had an unproductive argumentative time with the work doctor (He wanted to treat my scratched back for some reason, refused to treat my hand which was bleeding badly, and continued to engage with me about the tetanus vaccine after I told him there wasn't a chance in hell)
Come on Larry... More then 90% of road rashes get infected. They are a burn, not a scratch. As far as the tetanus shot, well its obvious you have never seen someone die of tetanus. Keep your tetanus vaccination up to date. Its a survival skill.

As far as the ribs, often bruised ribs hurt longer then broken ribs. I have found compression and splinting the best help for rib pain. Lots of small pillows when you are sleeping. Spandex chest compression when your up and around helps. Tapping and large ace wraps around chest and ribs is discouraged now days, but back before the 70's it was a standard method of treatment.
Old 08-30-23, 03:22 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Hey Larry! Sorry to hear about your accident. Yes, been there done that. Sounds like you've already discovered how to position your body to ride with minimal pain. Carry on in that fashion. Ribs can take a good bit of time to heal. Just go by feel; listen to your body and ride on accordingly.
Old 08-30-23, 04:15 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Yep. Last year when my handlebars assploded.

3 broken ribs, broken collarbone, broken shoulder, busted up knee, road rash.

I rode 6 miles back to my truck.

Was riding full time the next week.

I must say so myself - I'm pretty bad assed!!!

But for real, non of it actually hurt that much. The road rash was worse than the bones.
Old 08-30-23, 04:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The most important thing is to ignore the advice of the doctor.
Actually when it comes to work/company doctors I have found that to be good advice.
Old 08-30-23, 05:17 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
A water ski vest in one size too small.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 08-30-23, 10:49 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
A water ski vest in one size too small.
Also useful for those pesky puddles.
Old 08-30-23, 11:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Have any of you tried riding with bruised or broken ribs? I think I damaged my ribs a couple weeks ago in a bike crash, hurts to climb or stand up, but can ride without pain otherwise. Think I am good to go? I took a couple days off the bike after the crash, and my physical therapist told me to take it easy lifting and twisting for the next 4 weeks. Had an unproductive argumentative time with the work doctor (He wanted to treat my scratched back for some reason, refused to treat my hand which was bleeding badly, and continued to engage with me about the tetanus vaccine after I told him there wasn't a chance in hell)
Get the vaccine dumbass. Don't listen to dumb ****s telling you vaccines cause this or that. Vaccines are a large part of why we don't have 50% infant mortality anymore. It's hard to believe one has to tell people that in the 21st Century, but there's been a big resurgence in stupidity lately.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-30-23, 12:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
QUOTE=genejockey;23000125]Get the vaccine dumbass. [/QUOTE]On the other hand, it's interesting to watch the plan unfold.
Old 08-30-23, 12:08 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Get the vaccine dumbass. Don't listen to dumb ****s telling you vaccines cause this or that. Vaccines are a large part of why we don't have 50% infant mortality anymore. It's hard to believe one has to tell people that in the 21st Century, but there's been a big resurgence in stupidity lately.
Reminds me of a hippie doofus friend of mine. I mentioned using WD-40 to get the brake/shifters on my road bike working again.

He said, conspiratorially, "You know WD-40 is made with whale oil, right?"

I said, "I think it's something like kerosene and mineral oil." (Note: I was wrong.)

Researched it at home and then sent him a link to a page called "WD-40 Strange Facts and Myths." (Short version: no whale oil, now or in earlier formulations.)

Asked him what he thought of that info next time I saw him. He said, pityingly, "You didn't believe any of that, did you?"
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-30-23, 12:20 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
As Cousteau once said, it isn't pollution that's killing this planet, it's OVER POPULATION.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 08-30-23, 12:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
I crashed on the road in June '21 and broke 4 ribs, dislocated my clavicle, and bruised the bejeebus out of my shoulder, hip, and knee.
It sucked.
I took a week off, but rode just as often as normal after that. I was slower for a couple weeks and didnt push myself.

The crash happened on a rural highway- a car passed me and gave me a ton of room, like 10'. But as it pulled out to pass, it honked for some reason. I looked back to see why and as soon as I looked forward, I saw my front wheel hit a frost heave. The bike kicked out from under me due to hitting the frost heave at a bad angle and I slammed then slid along my left side.
No idea why the car felt it necessary to honk since they were giving me so much room.
Old 08-30-23, 12:27 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Get the vaccine dumbass.
Current research shows that it may be too late for some patients to take the dumbass vaccine.
Old 08-30-23, 04:06 PM
LarrySellerz

I think word for word what I told the doctor was "Given the intensity of the gaslighting surrounding the Covid vaccine, and the severity of my negative reaction, I'd be very hard pressed to get another shot of any kind, my faith in that medicine has been destroyed."

Honestly though, there was a mutual lack of respect. He thought I was crazy, and I thought he was incompetent and soft (He wouldn't treat my "severe" injuries, instead telling me to go to the hospital, took a picture of some scratches on my back to show to me.) Took a lot of hand wringing for him to suggest how to care for my hand without going to the hospital.
Old 08-30-23, 04:11 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
I think word for word what I told the doctor was "Given the intensity of the gaslighting surrounding the Covid vaccine, and the severity of my negative reaction, I'd be very hard pressed to get another shot of any kind, my faith in that medicine has been destroyed."

Honestly though, there was a mutual lack of respect. He thought I was crazy, and I thought he was incompetent and soft (He wouldn't treat my "severe" injuries, instead telling me to go to the hospital, took a picture of some scratches on my back to show to me.) Took a lot of hand wringing for him to suggest how to care for my hand without going to the hospital.
Aside from all else --- "soft"?
Old 08-30-23, 04:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

The only gaslighting around the COVID vaccine was by the people who politicized public health. Everything else, you can find all the studies online. You've had the tetanus vaccine before, almost certainly, but given the severity of the disease and how simple it is to prevent, you'd have to be stupid NOT to get a booster after dragging your skin across a filthy road and getting a lot of crap entering through your skin.

He may have legal reasons for telling you to go to the hospital, like limits on what he's allowed to treat.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-30-23, 04:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
*sigh* . . . . . SMH
Likes For BillyD:
Old 08-30-23, 04:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Another thing - we've discussed this before, when you said you didn't use sunscreen or wear a shirt and you weren't worried about Melanoma or other skin cancers - you're young, so you think you're invincible. Having had a big slice taken out of the skin of my right thigh to excise a melanoma, and my wife having to spend a long day at the Dermo having ever larger slices taken out of her forehead to get rid of a basal cell carcinoma, I can tell you that you will wish you weren't so cavalier with your body at this age.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-30-23, 04:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
He’s likely not equipped to treat you. He’s not a hospital. I spent a summer working at the world headquarters of Alcoa. Not exactly a mom and pop operation. There was both a staff doctor and a nurse. As well equipped as their digs were, I’m sure they would not treat potentially broken ribs.

“Funny” (read “twisted”) that you would ignore his advice and instead turn to an Internet forum.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-30-23, 05:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Aside from all else --- "soft"?
yes. He was taken aback by how scratched up my back was, and thought I would be or should be concerned. He wanted me to sit in the waiting room and wait for a ride to pick me up (I needed to go ride out and find my partner and tell him I couldn’t work.) He ignored my question about super glue on my hand like 4 times before telling me if I wasn’t going to go to the hospital, to wrap it tightly instead of glue.

The one saving grace was that the first thing I told him was that I didn’t want to be there, am getting a full time job with insurance soon, and cannot have this visit get back to HR and effect my employment and future health insurance. He convinced me HR wouldn’t care or get details. Only reason I was there was because good Samaritans accosted me when I was trying to find my partner and made me go to the medical center.

the thing I don’t get about broken ribs is that people say there isn’t anything you can do to treat them, and just live with the pain, and my
physical therapist said if I don’t take it easy they may not heal properly. Doesn’t add up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.