Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Data Overload

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Data Overload

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-23, 09:48 PM
Caveman

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Pivot Mach 5.7, Cannondale Capo, Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Ultimate Gravel, Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Data Overload

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy that just rides. I don't train so I couldn't care less about watts, route maps, Strava or almost anything else. I do have a basic Garmin GPS I use to keep track of the basic data for the ride I'm on. Distance, avg speed, elapsed time, feet climbed, time of day, etc. I don't store any data. I don't care what I did last week, last month or last year. My GPS is capable of downloading routes but I don't bother. I either just wander or follow the guy in front of me. Worrying about data spoils the zen of my ride. Sometimes I feel good. Sometimes I don't. That's all I need to know. So am I the only anti data rider here? Anybody else just ride for the day and stay in the moment?
Old 09-07-23, 10:09 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Caveman
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy that just rides. I don't train so I couldn't care less about watts, route maps, Strava or almost anything else. I do have a basic Garmin GPS I use to keep track of the basic data for the ride I'm on. Distance, avg speed, elapsed time, feet climbed, time of day, etc. I don't store any data. I don't care what I did last week, last month or last year. My GPS is capable of downloading routes but I don't bother. I either just wander or follow the guy in front of me. Worrying about data spoils the zen of my ride. Sometimes I feel good. Sometimes I don't. That's all I need to know. So am I the only anti data rider here? Anybody else just ride for the day and stay in the moment?
I'd want to know my HR more than anything. Keeps me safe on the ride. I've almost redlined out there, 190 bpm+ on a climb, and it tells me when to back off and play it safe.
Likes For macattack71:
Old 09-07-23, 11:53 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I ride with a head unit with HR and cadence but mainly I just like to log all of my activities on Strava so I know where I went and how many miles/ft elevation I covered each week/month/year. Sometimes I try to keep it in zone 2 or maintain a certain cadence but I don't really look at it during the ride, moreso after the ride.
Old 09-08-23, 12:08 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Yeah, I don't get it, however to each his own. Now get out there and smile for a few miles.
Old 09-08-23, 02:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by macattack71
I'd want to know my HR more than anything. Keeps me safe on the ride. I've almost redlined out there, 190 bpm+ on a climb, and it tells me when to back off and play it safe.
I’m curious why you think there is a safety issue here. Do you have a heart condition that requires monitoring? Or is this just a fear of what might happen if you hit the red line?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-08-23, 02:58 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Worrying about data spoils the zen of my ride.
So stop worrying about data then.
Old 09-08-23, 05:38 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
I have all the data, look at it on some rides and on many rides I just ride.

It is kind of like content on the radio, TV or internet - just twist the knob to the left or right if you don't like what you see/hear*

* "Knobs" and "dials" are ancient technologies, kinda like those old bikes you see with gigantic front wheels and tiny rear wheels.
Old 09-08-23, 05:46 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
But bro, don't you wanna be training in zone 5 with the exact proper cadence while you play with your onboard computer for no reason to prepare for your upcoming triathlon that you finish last place in? Lol its ******g bicycle riding.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 09-08-23, 05:55 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I am a 65 yoa drunk so not sure I would want to know my HR. I figure if I am riding my heart is ticking. I too just like to ride without too much to think about. I have done ~5500 miles this year and my buddy talked me into getting the free strava app so occasionally I use that for kicks but basically just gives the same info my bontrager computer does ie ave speed max speed and distance. sometimes I like seeing my max speed. but like the OP mostly just like to ride but really only like riding 50-100 miles at a time. for some reason I feel rides shorter than 40 miles are disappointing.
Old 09-08-23, 05:55 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
At 59 I'm fairly anti-tech, but I do wear a simple Garmin watch so I can upload my ride data to Strava. Prior to this tech, I was recording rides in a daily planner. But similar to the OP, even though I race, I don't train, I just ride.

A nice benefit to uploading data is knowing how many miles each bike has (for maintenance reasons).
Old 09-08-23, 05:58 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by DonkeyShow
But bro, don't you wanna be training in zone 5 with the exact proper cadence while you play with your onboard computer for no reason to prepare for your upcoming triathlon that you finish last place in? Lol its ******g bicycle riding.
heck true story I do not even now what zone 5 means. I see some other terminology being used on ride posts that I have no idea what they are either. Sometimes I have thought of googling them to see but then decide I am probably better off not knowing.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 09-08-23, 07:46 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by macattack71
Just curious: where is the redline and what happens if you go over it?
Old 09-08-23, 07:51 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
heck true story I do not even now what zone 5 means. I see some other terminology being used on ride posts that I have no idea what they are either. Sometimes I have thought of googling them to see but then decide I am probably better off not knowing.
Ppl use buzzwords to keep out the noobs while making their hobby seem interesting.
Old 09-08-23, 08:12 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
maybe flatline.....
Likes For jadmt:
Old 09-08-23, 08:40 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Worrying about data spoils the zen of my ride.
It's good that you don't let your own data spoil the zen of your ride but it sounds like others' data does spoil the zen of your ride. That doesn't sound very zen.

A student asked a Master, "Has a data user Buddha Nature?" And the Master said, "Mu."
Likes For RChung:
Old 09-08-23, 08:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by RChung
It's good that you don't let your own data spoil the zen of your ride but it sounds like others' data does spoil the zen of your ride. That doesn't sound very zen.

A student asked a Master, "Has a data user Buddha Nature?" And the Master said, "Mu."
That was my late mom's favorite koan.
Old 09-08-23, 08:59 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
On my Sears speedometer, it starts at 30mph and ends at 40mph, which is where the numbers end. Now if I have to 'splain what a speedometer is to anyone...
Old 09-08-23, 09:01 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'm only half loaded.

90-95% of the time, I don't care about HR or power. I am riding to have fun but also want to get an exercise benefit and therefore, I use by breathing zen to feel the right effort.

Once in a while, I do a serious ride with certain power and time durations in mind.

The rides all get logged, most to ensure I am not doing too much.

I really hate Strava heads on group rides.
Old 09-08-23, 09:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
On my Sears speedometer, it starts at 30mph and ends at 40mph, which is where the numbers end. Now if I have to 'splain what a speedometer is to anyone...
Does it have the spinning cable and the spider which engages with your spokes?
Old 09-08-23, 09:13 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
I'm not anti-data, I just don't care enough to put any device on my bike. I don't even have a cell phone. I know from asking others on the route or just knowing the routes.
Never used Strava, never recorded or logged anything. Riding road bikes around 40 years now, mountain bikes around 33.
Old 09-08-23, 09:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I have wandered from keeping track of stats
Old 09-08-23, 09:17 AM
big john

Does it have the spinning cable and the spider which engages with your spokes?
I had one of those as a ute. "Cadet". It had a plastic thing that stuck between the spokes and drove the cable. It broke pretty quickly.
Old 09-08-23, 09:23 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I had one of those as a ute. "Cadet". It had a plastic thing that stuck between the spokes and drove the cable. It broke pretty quickly.
One of my first speedometers had a hole in the back and the wind blew on the bladed speedo needle and made it move. I don't recall it being very accurate.

Edit: Also had to pedal hard on my fifty's cruiser to make it move at all. Looked pretty much like this:

Last edited by Jack Tone; 09-08-23 at 09:53 AM.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 09-08-23, 09:33 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by big john
It not only measured speed but controlled it, and all without batteries. Now them were some data!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-08-23, 09:45 AM
big john

It not only measured speed but controlled it, and all without batteries. Now them were some data!
Add one of those growling/whirring generators and you had to lay down some watts!
Likes For big john:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.