Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What does it take ...?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What does it take ...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 09:20 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Bikes: '67Schwinn, 72 Schwinn, 81 schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What does it take ...?

Want to learn by doing the Maintainance & mechanical tasks on:my 1967 Schwinn Varsity & 1974 Schwinn Super Sport.
So far tools came from my Auto tools; including Penitrating fluid, (I avoid Fire-wrenches) .
Want tools for crank - axles; especially cassette gears, ( including a Torque wrench ?)
Have Not seen a Kit specifically for the 10 spd Schwinn.,and hope to have something portable.
Would I get lost finding a Service Manual ? Maybe a Digital Copy??
Links/ suggestions appreciated >Slohan47.
Old 01-30-24, 09:37 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

there is an excellent trove of SCHWINN mechanical information over at https://www.thecabe.com

another free bicycle forum where most of the topics relate to American made cycles

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 01-30-24, 09:49 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
Most things on those two bikes can be taken apart with a set of box wrenches, or maybe a crescent wrench since they likely have a mix of metric and SAE sizes.

If you've never done it before the cranks look like they need a special tool to take them apart, but they usually don't. Look online for how the lock ring comes off and then it's pretty obvious from there.

If you want to remove the gears from the rear wheel you will need to find the correct freewheel tool. I suggest going to a local co-op or bike shop since this tool is not usable for anything else, you might need two different ones, and if you try to order it from the internet there is a significant chance you will order the wrong tool on your first try. Many local bike shops will break the freewheel loose for free because it only takes a minute if you know what you're doing (and it isn't too rusted in place).

If you want to true the wheels or replace spokes you need a spoke wrench. You can get one that handles multiple sizes pretty cheap. But if you're doing more than simple adjustments you probably need a truing stand. Again, local bike shop or co-op is your best bet.
Likes For albrt:
Old 01-30-24, 11:04 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Tools abound. A good start for a 70s bicycle along with your regular car tools are...

Cheap Cone Wrenches
Park MT-1 Wrench
Spoke Wrench
Chain Breaker
Chain Whip & Appropriate Freewheel Socket
PB-Blaster, Marine Grease, in addition to what ever Car Oil and ATF you are using

With the internet and youtube ya really don't need any books. Look up Sheldon Brown, and on youtube RJ the bike guy. Ya already found this forum. And by the way after 10 posts we do like pics when addressing a problem.

Oh... And dont forget to ask about a more comfortable seat and high tech expensive lubes that clean your chain automatically... Ha
Old 01-31-24, 10:11 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Your bikes have freewheels, not cassettes. Torque wrench would not be applicable, because freewheels thread on to threads on the hub, and tighten down the first time you pedal the bike. No need for a chain whip uniess you intend to remove the cogs from the freewheel body as part of the service, which the freewheel may not need at all.

I'm pretty sure your Varsity, and possibly the Super Sport, have one-piece cranks. Serviceable, but quite different from more modern common 3-piece cotterless cranks. RJ on Youtube, as mentioned above, covers the process.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 01-31-24, 10:40 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I'd start off with some basic repairs/upgrades and learn how to do those first. Replace the brake shoes. Make sure the chain functions properly--smoothly, with no kinks. Learn how to measure the chain while you're at it. Change out the brake and derailleur cables--both housing and inner cables. Clean up and polish the bike so you can see what you're doing. Remove any rust everywhere you can. Change the inner tubes and maybe even the tires.

I'd get all these basics down before moving on to wheel axles, headsets and bottom brackets.
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-31-24, 03:13 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
You will find out that working on most C&V bikes, at least from the late 70's and up, will require allen head wrenches (metric). It is something that a "car oriented" tool set usually do not have.
You can usually manage without a lot of proprietary bike tools for a while if you are just doing very simple maintenence and repairs, but eventually, you should gradually accumulate the special bike tools as you work on more bikes, as it will make the work much easier and you will get better results. Going through tool catalogues like the ones from Park Tools will help you discover what these special tools are and what they are for.

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-09-24 at 01:38 PM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 02-08-24, 04:35 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

there is an excellent trove of SCHWINN mechanical information over at https://www.thecabe.com

another free bicycle forum where most of the topics relate to American made cycles
-----
Thankyou "juvela"
I am now registared with the Forum suggested; but due to as my Dad-would say at Busy times "I've got too many Irons in the fire.>Perty sure that' meant Branding Iron for Cowpokes. I added your "Post" cause I did/Do not know how to "Surf" back to the post and cut/paste. More than you needed to know ? I've turned a new leaf, PRAISING what makes me feel better..

Last edited by Slohan47; 02-08-24 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-08-24, 04:47 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thankyou for the GI - General Information albrt
Sometime in the Future I plan to Post an Edited Summary of the Advice Helpful members here have taken the time to respond
Old 02-08-24, 04:57 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thankyou for the GI - General Information zandoval
Sometime in the Future I plan to Edit the Advice; Helpful members here have taken the time to respond !
Old 02-08-24, 05:32 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
GREAT STARTER TASKS smd4
Thankyou for the GI - General Information
Much Good direction/ advice for sure; I'll do a RIPLEY> Believe IT or NOT:::::::?
I've done MOST of the tasks you mentioned

Sometime in the Future I plan to Edit the Advice; Helpful members here have taken the time to respond !
Old 02-08-24, 05:39 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
GREAT STARTER TASKS Chombi1
Thankyou for the GI - General Information
Much Good direction/ advice for sure; I'll do a RIPLEY> Believe IT or NOT:::::::?
I've got MOST of the task-tools you mentioned AUTO SIDE -got down to cassette & COGs you accurately spoke of.
Have a [I Think] 24 spline ??Casette Removal tool coming & i'M HOPING THE rIGHT-STUFF !

Last edited by Slohan47; 02-08-24 at 05:43 PM. Reason: ADD cOMMENT
Old 02-08-24, 05:45 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
A used copy of Glenn's Bike Repair, a vintage book for your bikes' era.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 02-10-24, 05:04 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Searched for Glen's Repair Book; found at ABE's Used- $4 for 1st Edition. AlsoService Manual: Insurance that most likely the Job will be done "RIGHT" meaning robably not be on side of the road wondering WHY?
thankls BTinNYC
Old 02-10-24, 06:25 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 1,163 Posts
I did my first bottom bracket overhaul live on this forum. And I found it to be just like adjusting old school automobile wheel bearings. Practice, practice.
Likes For seedsbelize2:
Old 02-11-24, 07:03 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Tons of good advice.
Its always nice to see a picture and some tools eye candy like the campy tools that came with the top of the line Paramount bike from SCHWINN. This makes for a nice show with my paramount but not what I use for rides as I have a bag with common tools for all my rides. Many threads on tool bags riders carry, search BF

Velox tire patch kit
15mm Wrench - Brev Camp Italy - 769 "Peanut Butter" named
Classic 5mm "Pineapple" Allen wrench from Campagnolo
Vintage Campagnolo Crank Puller Extractor Tool VGC
Vintage Campagnolo T Handle Tool 8mm Allen Hex Key
4mm / 5mm not marked
The 7mm is marked Cinelli.
The 5mm is Campagnolo.

Last edited by joesch; 02-11-24 at 07:06 AM.
Likes For joesch:
Old 02-11-24, 09:34 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 545 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Welcome to the forum. Tools abound. A good start for a 70s bicycle along with your regular car tools are...

Cheap Cone Wrenches
Park MT-1 Wrench
Spoke Wrench
Chain Breaker
Chain Whip & Appropriate Freewheel Socket
PB-Blaster, Marine Grease, in addition to what ever Car Oil and ATF you are using
I’m a car guy and agree with 👆.

Since we’re talking about 50+ y/o bikes I would add some sort of container, brushes and degreaser for cleaning stuff with caked on dirt and grease. I don’t know how many small brass wire brushes I’ve used up.

A cheap digital caliper for measuring stuff gets used very often by me.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 02-11-24, 10:12 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
The original idea of Schwinn bike engineering was to keep it simple. Any task could be accomplished with a 1/2" wrench, flathead screwdrive, and large adjustable wrench for crank and headset locknuts. The one piece Ashtabula cranks are the simplist of crank BB design and require no specialty tools.

I think the only metric nuts on a Varsity will be for the Weinmann brakes, 8,9,10mm. Seatclamp and stem/handlebar adjustment will be 1/2". Pedals are 1/2". Super Sport will be the same except for the stem bolts which are 12mm.

Both your bikes will have 5 speed freewheels that most likely are Atom/Millard and require a splined design freewheel remover... Combined with adjustabke wrench or pipe wrench will unscrew counterclockwise.
Likes For big chainring: