Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can this seat be fixed?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Can this seat be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 05:34 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Can this seat be fixed?

I have this classic seat on my Le Mans Centurion that will not stay on. Can it be fixed and how?

Old 02-26-24, 05:43 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
The duct tape is a bad sign.
Old 02-26-24, 06:03 PM
TLit

Originally Posted by Koyote
I just applied it today. I tried glueing the metal prongs into the seat a while back which did not hold.
Old 02-26-24, 06:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I would likely just get a new saddle, the bike was not a high end bike back in the day, the saddle looks pretty toasty and you can find modern vintage saddles. Here is a great source for them: https://www.somafab.com/parts/saddles
You can also get a saddle that may even work better for your rear end that is a newer design.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-27-24, 02:40 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
That's a bad accident waiting to happen, the seat comes off and the rails jab you in the butt or worse. Seriously. Get a new saddle. If you want traditional leather and durable, get a Brooks or similar, I don't recall if you can still get an Ideal. Brooks also has synthetic material that is impervious to water.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 02-27-24, 06:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Easily fixed with a new saddle. Broken human body not so easily fixed. I have numerous spares, I will send you one for the cost of shipping, $12-15. It is an Oval, I believe that is Fuji's brand, and is very comfortable and in great shape. I have been using it, but I just acquired one of my favorite saddles, so the Oval is being replaced. It came on a barely used bike that I bought. PM me if interested.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-27-24, 07:39 AM
TLit

When I read last night it probably cannot be fixed I ordered this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173850659085

I'm pretty cautious, rode about 10 miles yesterday with it shifting underneath; 250#, 6'6". 68cm bike.
Likes For TLit:
Old 02-27-24, 10:10 AM
TLit

I got it apart; I'm not seeing any way to put the metal pronged unit in as the plastic frame doesn't seem to be adjustable.

Old 02-27-24, 10:20 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Why would you want to bother?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-27-24, 10:24 AM
TLit

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why would you want to bother?
Because I'm frugal and don't throw out things that are not broken.

It looks like it worked its way out of the plastic frame; one opening to hold the "U" end and the other opening holds the two prongs; it's flexible so I'm thinking that it may be possible to get it back together.
Old 02-27-24, 10:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by TLit
Because I'm frugal and don't throw out things that are not broken......
OK, that's a reason, so here's a hint.

It's like stringing a bow.

During manufacture, the frame is fixtured and flexed upward, which shortens the nose to back rail distance, allowing the top to be fitted. In use, your weight pushing down lengthens the rails, keeping the top secured.

So, your job is to improvise a way to flex (not bend) the rails up the same way so the nose can clear.

Note that if the rails are bend down where they are clamped, fitting it back together will be that much harder.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-27-24 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-27-24, 10:34 AM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts

It looks like it worked its way out of the plastic frame; one opening to hold the "U" end and the other opening holds the two prongs; it's flexible so I'm thinking that it may be possible to get it back together.
There's "frugal" and there "hoarder-adjacent" - sometimes something is simply dead and it's time to let it go....
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 02-27-24, 10:47 AM
TLit

Originally Posted by 13ollocks
There's "frugal" and there "hoarder-adjacent" - sometimes something is simply dead and it's time to let it go....
I've known hoarders and that is not a problem I have. "Waste not want not" is a good saying from Franklin; if things are broken and beyond repair that's another issue. In many ways our society is a throw away society, things and people....I'll go with frugal for now. I'm reluctant to get sucked into the hyper civilized society with zero tolerance for things that are not perfect or up to spec.. Appreciate the inputs.
Old 02-27-24, 10:53 AM
FBinNY 

......"Waste not want not" is a good saying from Franklin; .....
I'm with you and wish you luck. However, before investing the effort, make sure there are no cracks near the two rear rail pockets.
Old 02-27-24, 12:06 PM
13ollocks

I've known hoarders and that is not a problem I have. "Waste not want not" is a good saying from Franklin; if things are broken and beyond repair that's another issue. In many ways our society is a throw away society, things and people....I'll go with frugal for now. I'm reluctant to get sucked into the hyper civilized society with zero tolerance for things that are not perfect or up to spec.. Appreciate the inputs.
I'm also a big fan of "repair/adapt vs replace", but only if the repair is functionally on par with the original. You're putting 250# on a part of questionable reliability - and I'm not thinking about the usual "seat post impalement" that people bandy about, I'm thinking about the more mundane possibility of the saddle giving way under your weight and you losing control. Even if you manage to bend the rails to get them to fit, if you don't get them straight, you'll likely end up with a lopsided saddle that brings its own ergonomic problems. Repairing stuff is worthwhile and fun, but it's important to pick your battles - if the best you can achieve is a bodge vs a proper repair (and I'm not saying you can't repair it, I'm just imagining myself in your situation), it's time to consider replacement.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 02-27-24, 12:23 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Because I'm frugal and don't throw out things that are not broken...
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Of course I dont admit I am a cheap bastard with lots of time on my hands... Ha...
Old 02-27-24, 12:43 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Most bike shops have a box of swap-out saddles underneath the workbench. You could ask.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 02-27-24, 06:56 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
As someone who rehabilitates dozens upon dozens of saddles a year, I will say that any saddle where the rails won't stay securely attached to the pan (such as the one here) is truly and sincerely broken, and should be sent to a well-deserved retirement.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 02-27-24 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-29-24, 09:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Ok, but that saddle is pretty obviously broken. I also like to fix and reuse things whenever possible, but there is a point of diminishing returns, and that saddle looks well past it.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-29-24, 09:41 AM
TLit

The question I'd have is that these bike seats are put together in the factory with the semi-flexible plastic molded and melded together with the metal frame. Once the metal frame comes apart from it, it can't be reassembled? What happened with mine is that it came apart a while ago and there is such a disparity between the span of the mounting prongs to the metal that there does not seem to be any way to reassemble it even if had been nearly new.
Old 02-29-24, 09:56 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
As someone who rehabilitates dozens upon dozens of saddles a year, I will say that any saddle where the rails won't stay securely attached to the pan (such as the one here) is truly and sincerely broken, and should be sent to a well-deserved retirement.
Agree but there is still an option to turn it into bike saddle art, calling our friend
pastorbobnlnh
Old 02-29-24, 10:18 AM
13ollocks

The question I'd have is that these bike seats are put together in the factory with the semi-flexible plastic molded and melded together with the metal frame. Once the metal frame comes apart from it, it can't be reassembled? What happened with mine is that it came apart a while ago and there is such a disparity between the span of the mounting prongs to the metal that there does not seem to be any way to reassemble it even if had been nearly new.
Sometimes things are simply "not user-serviceable"
Old 02-29-24, 11:19 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
That saddle is broken. Ergo, you should throw it out.

Unless you don't mind riding crap, this generally isn't a hobby/sport for the frugally-minded.
Old 02-29-24, 01:41 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
I have this classic seat on my Le Mans Centurion that will not stay on. Can it be fixed and how?
Have you been lifting the bike by the back of the saddle? That's the common way for this damage to occur, particularly if you do it with luggage on the bike. Lift by the seat-post, frame or pannier rack to avoid it happening again.
Another possible cause is that the rails have been bent, in which case you need to bend them back before refitting the top. It can be hard to check this, although any bend in the straight parallel part of the rails is a sure sign. Also the plastic may have deformed through age, not much you can do about that..
To get the top back on I used to use my biggest flat screwdriver as a lever, and clamp a rail in the bench vise if it reaches, otherwise put a vise-grip on the rail and hold that in the vice (in either case beware of tubular or alloy rails which can be crushed or chewed up). This leaves a hand free to wrestle the top. Having checked the sockets are clear, put the front in first, then lever the individual rails into place.
If you get it well seated and it comes apart again you might as well give up and get a new one.

Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-29-24, 01:52 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I have duct tape on the nose of the saddle on my utility bike - it's still a perfectly good saddle, albeit possibly 50 years old. I could strip the leather off and use it like that, or re-cover it, but until I do duct tape protects those little ragged edges where the leather has worn through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.