Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Maui: "You Need a Car" -NOT

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Maui: "You Need a Car" -NOT

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 05:14 PM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I worked in Maui Feb 7 - 14, 2006. According to the guidebooks/forums you need a car to travel in Maui. I had no problems, traffic is polite, streets in towns have 75% good shoulders. It's an island with a volacano and most people live on the eastern valleys. To ride around the island can be done, but very hairy.
I used a fixed gear (39/15) Surly Crosscheck with S & S couplers, no freewheel (mistake) and $15 bmx pedals. Incidentally I painted the bike to glow in the dark. I rode 60 miles round trip in about 10 hours one day. I commuted 4 miles to work x3. When it rains it's still 74 degrees, so you don't need jackets, socks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
Maui_1.jpeg (59.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpeg
Maui_2.jpeg (40.5 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-26-06, 06:44 PM
DerekU2

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Dauphine, 1997 GT Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My honeymoon will likely be in Hawaii come September. I'm trying to decide if I should bring my bike or not. I imagine there's some beautiful scenery out there and the fiance has already given me the go ahead for a day on the bike while she hits a spa or something...
Old 02-26-06, 08:52 PM
EXCALIBUR
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DerekU2
My honeymoon will likely be in Hawaii come September. I'm trying to decide if I should bring my bike or not. I imagine there's some beautiful scenery out there and the fiance has already given me the go ahead for a day on the bike while she hits a spa or something...
Bring your bike to Hawaii. The weather is usually nice most of the year. Just be mindful of the traffic. Q: Which island will you be staying at?
Old 02-27-06, 04:44 PM
Pampusik
File Not Found

Bikes: two two-wheeled types

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anybody have any experience biking Oahu? I will go to Honolulu (UHM) next week and am trying to figure out if I should bother trying to line up a bike to use while I'm there...
Old 02-27-06, 08:17 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pampusik
Does anybody have any experience biking Oahu? I will go to Honolulu (UHM) next week and am trying to figure out if I should bother trying to line up a bike to use while I'm there...
I learned to ride a bike on Oahu, windward side. One reason I turned down a job in Honolulu (in 1998 or so) was that the area where the job was didn't seem bikeable from what I could gather on the internet back then. There were some activists trying to make it better so line up a bike and report back to us ok?
Old 02-27-06, 08:52 PM
2mtr
18 dog baby

Bikes: 2008 crosscheck complete, 1984 Pugeot fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
honolulu, despite what everyone says, is great (knock wood) to ride. I guess it does help that I'm a two meter tall, 22 year-old bike messenger. but still, it's fine with the proper defensive riding techniques.
you should definitely line up a bike; this place is great. i'd offer myself, but i only have one bike and I use it for work and to get to class (at UHM).
the bike shop on king offers some pretty good rentals. not the best, but pretty good

i went to lahina last summer and didn't get a car cause I assumed there'd be mass tranist. Wrong. So I just shuffled around lahina for three days in the dirt.
shoulda gotten a bike...
Old 02-28-06, 06:08 PM
Pampusik
File Not Found

Bikes: two two-wheeled types

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I'll look for a bike around King St. and loop back in a few weeks on how it went on the island...