Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

New Job - Potential Conflict

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 10:16 AM
TuckertonRR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I might get a new job, which is not an office-based 9/5 type job. It would be at a warehouse, and I would have "on call" hours; (they mentioned a 2-hour time from when they call, to when I wouldhave to be there).

Anybody here work that type of schedule? I'm trying to figure out if bike commuting would still work for that kind of work. Not too much concerned about smelling/looking "good" (as opposed to a strictly office environment) but I might consider moving, as the local bus doesn't really go near there, and that bus isn't a 24-hour bus. Anybody regularly commute home/to work during odd overnight hours?

Don't know if this would belong on carfree or commuting. I figure car-free might find some better responses though.
thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-06, 10:28 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I work from 3 PM to 11:30 PM at the hospital and I've been bike commuting exclusively for almost four years now. Night time commuting presents it's own set of challenges--most commonly concerns about lighting/visibility and crime. Are you worried about these issues or something else? How long will your commute be if you get the new job, and how far are you accustomed to riding now?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-27-06, 11:23 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My work has me here at all different hours.

The big question is what is your commuting route like? At night, some streets are much safer than others. My commute at night can be the most peaceful, or the most frightening.

I'd say, go for it unless you see something that is a show stopper.
Old 06-28-06, 12:20 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckertonRR
I might get a new job, which is not an office-based 9/5 type job. It would be at a warehouse, and I would have "on call" hours; (they mentioned a 2-hour time from when they call, to when I wouldhave to be there).
Would you be on-call 24 hours a day?
How long is the ride from home to work?
Old 06-28-06, 06:46 AM
TuckertonRR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, yes, it is an "on - call" type work, with a two- hour call notice. Two hours would *really* be pushing it for me on a bike to get there. I'm thinking a train - bus - bike - car combo would work out best. The most likeley is using the "Patco" line from NJ to into Philadelphia. It's pretty reliable, and runs 24/7.... On the other hand I *may* just move to closer to the location. Most houses in that area aren't bad, but Philly's weird.....you go two blocks one way, it's ok...two blocks the other way, it gets bad in a hurry (vacant houses, overgrown lots, drugs, etc etc)
Old 06-28-06, 10:38 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckertonRR
Well, yes, it is an "on - call" type work, with a two- hour call notice. Two hours would *really* be pushing it for me on a bike to get there. I'm thinking a train - bus - bike - car combo would work out best. The most likeley is using the "Patco" line from NJ to into Philadelphia. It's pretty reliable, and runs 24/7.... On the other hand I *may* just move to closer to the location. Most houses in that area aren't bad, but Philly's weird.....you go two blocks one way, it's ok...two blocks the other way, it gets bad in a hurry (vacant houses, overgrown lots, drugs, etc etc)
Two hour commute one way? I would definitely move if the job was great. Any city these days has pretty spotty neighborhoods, and there are no guarantees how one neighborhood will go in the next 5 or 10 years. I would look for an area near work with a small viable business/shopping area nearby and good bus or train service. Inner ring suburbs fit the bill in some metro regions. If you decide to move, your next step might be consulting with Philly locals who can understand what you're looking for and give you some good advice. A good realtor might be able to help.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-28-06, 11:09 AM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
My hrs are from 2:00 to 10:30 pm. I ALWAYS ride to work, weather permitting. I usually, but not always, take the bus home since it's at night and I don't really like riding at night. The exception to that would be on a Friday night and if it's really nice out and I might want to check out the happenings downtown (girl watching is best done on a bike!). All of Dayton's busses have bike racks. My commute, however, is only seven miles one way.
Old 06-29-06, 10:03 AM
TuckertonRR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Two hour commute one way? I would definitely move if the job was great. Any city these days has pretty spotty neighborhoods, and there are no guarantees how one neighborhood will go in the next 5 or 10 years. I would look for an area near work with a small viable business/shopping area nearby and good bus or train service. Inner ring suburbs fit the bill in some metro regions. If you decide to move, your next step might be consulting with Philly locals who can understand what you're looking for and give you some good advice. A good realtor might be able to help.

Well, I sort of am a "local" - I've known people in the area for like 15 years (unfortunately, no spare places available!) and I've done some searching, and the places are reasonably priced enough. I may just make it work, if I ultimately decide on doing it.
Old 06-29-06, 01:01 PM
Pampusik
File Not Found

Bikes: two two-wheeled types

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing's impossible.
Old 06-29-06, 07:55 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's easy for us to recommend that you move, but it's hard for us to all get a feel for how attached you are to your current place. I don't know how many of your friends live over there in NJ instead of within the city... whether you have church ties or other activities that you'd have to change or abandon if you moved.

I've heard about a couple of different Philly apartments you might be able to live in if you moved, though. But I'm not sure what kind of place you would look for-- they might not suit you.
Old 07-06-06, 02:58 PM
TuckertonRR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerewa
It's easy for us to recommend that you move, but it's hard for us to all get a feel for how attached you are to your current place. I don't know how many of your friends live over there in NJ instead of within the city... whether you have church ties or other activities that you'd have to change or abandon if you moved.

I've heard about a couple of different Philly apartments you might be able to live in if you moved, though. But I'm not sure what kind of place you would look for-- they might not suit you.

Thanks, cerewa
actually most of my mates are in the city & PA suburbs. Don't really know too many people in NJ ....
So it wouldn't be really hard to move - ( I HATE moving though!!) .. Plus I do kinda like where I am - nice little backyard for my tomato plants.

If I'd move, it'd be in South Philly (but those prices!!!!!!!)
Old 07-07-06, 12:20 PM
maximusvt
going downhill fast

Bikes: 1995 Trek Mountain Track, 1976 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like moving might really be worth it. Get a two hour notice, for a job that is an hour away, hop on your bike and you're there. True, moving is a b!tch... Do you have a car or know people with cars that can help you out?

It's a tough call but it's your call.