Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Got honked at today :-(

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 07:56 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in Texas unfortunately and today I went out for a ride before dinner since I had a little time (about 8 miles), because I have recently started riding after a long sabbatical and am trying to get my legs built up for my commute.

I am on a two lane highway going through my small town (which has a speed limit at that point of 35 ) and am getting paseed by several cars. Suddenly I hear a honk and turn some guy and a woman passing me in their car and they slow down long enough for him to mouth "Get the f*&# off the road. They continue on and I politely give the finger ( I know, not the best thing to do, but I was pissed).

Here's the thing, I always stay practically right on the line near the shoulder unless there is no one around. It's not like I am taking up the whole lane. Why can't people realize that I have just as much right to be there as them?!? [/rant]
Old 10-15-05, 08:49 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lecterman
I live in Texas unfortunately and today I went out for a ride before dinner since I had a little time (about 8 miles), because I have recently started riding after a long sabbatical and am trying to get my legs built up for my commute.

I am on a two lane highway going through my small town (which has a speed limit at that point of 35 ) and am getting paseed by several cars. Suddenly I hear a honk and turn some guy and a woman passing me in their car and they slow down long enough for him to mouth "Get the f*&# off the road. They continue on and I politely give the finger ( I know, not the best thing to do, but I was pissed).

Here's the thing, I always stay practically right on the line near the shoulder unless there is no one around. It's not like I am taking up the whole lane. Why can't people realize that I have just as much right to be there as them?!? [/rant]
Why did you assume it was "their" car? It was probably his Daddy's car, the woman was his date from a second-rate online dating site, and he was trying to impress her with his manliness. Don't sweat it. Take comfort in the fact that the rumors of Erectile Dysfunction from cycling are just that, rumors, and although he won't be getting even a second date, you'd leave her staring at the ceiling in blissful shock for hours after a date.
Old 10-15-05, 09:18 PM
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey neighbor! you just have to let it go. Maybe i'll see you around on 156.
Old 10-15-05, 11:01 PM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I come to enjoy hearing "Get the f*ck off the road a**hole!" Well... it's direct and to the point and clearly expresses the speaker's feelings in an honest and non ambiguous way. I see it as a rare thing of beauty, crystaline and pure, like a haiku or the Unified Field Theory. It's almost the perfect phrase. Too bad it doesn't really work though.
Old 10-15-05, 11:05 PM
Pampusik
File Not Found

Bikes: two two-wheeled types

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do we let these things bother us long enough to post them on this message board?
Old 10-15-05, 11:13 PM
ArizonaAdam

Bikes: '13 Felt Z5, '13 Giant Anthem 29er, '05 Specialized Sirrus, 2021 Fairdale Taj, 2021 Surly Midnight Special, 2022 Surly Midnight Special

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a guy hoking at me the other day because he wanted to use the bike lane as his personal right turn lane, and apparently he thought I should pull my 45-pound loaded commuter on the sidewalk so he can get to the next red light 30 seconds sooner. Then he gives me one of these "put both hands in the air like, go figure, why are you still in my way" things. I just figured he was bitter because he's stuck in traffic like a dumbsheit and I'm enjoying a kick-ass morning commute.
Go figure,
Adam
Old 10-15-05, 11:18 PM
budster
beginner

Bikes: Trek 800, Gary Fisher Advance, Trek 2300 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in small-town North Carolina, a similarly bike-unfriendly place, and yeah -- the whole getting honked at/yelled at thing gets under my skin much more than I want it to. Until recently (and still sometimes now) I flipped off and/or screamed insults at a lot of these people.

What else can we do?

Well, we could get a horn that's as loud as theirs: https://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BE1500

We could arm ourselves and scare the living s**t out of them.

Or we could do the right thing: send them all to Ignoreland, where they belong.

I don't think their behavior has anything to do with whether we are sharing the road properly.

I think bike-annoyers fall into two broad categories:
1) Kids out to impress their would-be girlfriend and/or buddies;
2) Unhappy people of any age looking for someone to share their anger/misery with.

Either way, what they really want, of course, is a reaction from us. We win by not giving it to them, and they become less likely to repeat the behavior.

Still, I'm thinking seriously about getting that horn....
Old 10-15-05, 11:23 PM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to be flattered that they take the time to "talk" to you as they rush off to their destination.

People like that have issues that only a licensed practitioner can help with.
Old 10-16-05, 12:05 AM
LY2KW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get honked several times a day. Lithuanian drivers tend to be known as severely rude. A polite finger is what they expect from you. As if you were cager like them. Never. Instead, build yourself a shield, pretend you are deaf and blind. Let your ears filter these finger-call-honks. Politely ignore them.

This is the strategy I use. Think of honkers as of dogs. A typical lithuanian dog would not bark at a regular car. But wait until a real cyclist shows up. Rather than fingering I'd likely picture that honker as a dog. Not necessarily a smart dog. Let him bark.

Stay calm, they are inside their cages, they won't bite you. In the depth of their hearts they want to be as free as you are. A honk is just a polite way to say hello.
Old 10-16-05, 06:08 AM
rgilmore

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by budster
I don't think their behavior has anything to do with whether we are sharing the road properly.

I think bike-annoyers fall into two broad categories:
1) Kids out to impress their would-be girlfriend and/or buddies;
2) Unhappy people of any age looking for someone to share their anger/misery with.
Nahh. He thought the OP was slowing him down, taking minutes away from him that he could be spending lying on his sofa drinking beer, eating chips and watching TV. You were keeping him from the most important thing in his life. Sympathize with him.
Old 10-16-05, 06:15 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The best thing I've found to do is either ignore or give a, "Hey, Bob. How's it going?" wave and smile. They expect the finger. They wave seems to confound them.

Staying too far to the right can lead to getting side-swiped. The most common bicycle/motor vehicle crash. I suggest making your line about 3-4 feet to the left of the white line to help mitigate this.
Old 10-16-05, 07:15 AM
danimal123

Bikes: 1991 (?) Trek 1420; 2006 Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm frequently tempted to yell and give the finger, but a few weeks ago it hit me:

If that person's life is so miserable that the only thing that will make them feel better is yelling/honking at me, then I'm happy to have been of service. They'll get filtered out of the gene pool soon enough.

Ignore 'em. You'll live longer.

Dan
Old 10-16-05, 10:31 AM
d2create

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blow him a kiss. Insecure rednecks love that.
Old 10-16-05, 10:40 AM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride on, secure in the knowledge that, it they are honking, they
1. See you
2. Are not enjoying life nearly as much as you are
3. Are likely in much worse physical condition
4. Are much more stressed
5. Are paying alot more for fuel
6. Are possbily breaking the law
7. Are accumulating bad karma points for their next cycle
8. Are not enjoying life nearly as much as you are

Or, just FIDO - Forget It, Drive On.

But I like to point & laugh at the morons.

Last edited by Da Tinker; 10-16-05 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-16-05, 11:01 AM
Severian
META

Bikes: Gary Fisher Aquila (retired), Specialized Allez Sport (in parts), Cannondale R500, HP Velotechnic Street Machine, Dented Blue Fixed Gear (retired), Seven Tsunami SSFG, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Hardtail (alloy version)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I've often thought about investing in an air horn and a marine flare gun (those are legal to carry anywhere). Thank god for "Hackers"
Old 10-16-05, 11:02 AM
chipko
cool babies...

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Trek fixie(Stolen), Gary Fisher MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blow him a kiss.
This and the afore-mentioned wave and smile are my preffered methods of dealing with hecklers. The kiss option can be dangerous. In one instance an irrate motorist felt like i had insulted him sufficiently that he pulled a u-turn to drive by again and scream at me about my sexual orientation. I used to be a huge advocate of the finger, but i slowly became more and more amused about the things that people get upset at. I am fascinated that someone considers my use of the road such an offense that they get so irrate, or maybe i am just a convenient taget for their utter dissatisfaction with their lives.

Friday i was on my commute and i was stopped at a light and this city bus behind me wants to make a right on red and i am in the way so the drivers LAYS on the horn. man that was load. I just took my time to get going when the light did turn.
Old 10-16-05, 01:29 PM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
happens to me much more when i'm driving than when i'm biking, actually. not sure if that's a confession or a boast. but for some reason i take comfort in muttering 'can't you take something for it?' as they go by. i think the idea of prozac just makes me laugh.
Old 10-16-05, 02:20 PM
Huehue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it happens to me almost daily, mainly when i'm a bit in the lane while trying to avoid being doored
normally i reply with a quick "f*** you" or something similar (i just recently put some reflective duct tape on the middle finger of my gloves for those night-time commutes), but one time, a man had his daughter (couldn't have been more than 6) shout "get off the road" out of the passenger window at me. very couragous, dude, having a CHILD yell at the guy biking up a steep hill.

Last edited by Huehue; 10-16-05 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-16-05, 02:44 PM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tokolosh
happens to me much more when i'm driving than when i'm biking, actually.
Same here. I don't drive much, but the other day I had the misfortune of driving to a mall on a Saturday to do some shopping. I could not believe how rude everyone was, and I realize that when I get honked at on my bike it's nothing unusual. On the other hand, when you're on the bike you're basically in your underwear and you feel more exposed and take it a little different.
Old 10-16-05, 06:14 PM
jedi_rider
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm thinking of mounting a paintball gun on my handlebars...
Old 10-17-05, 08:22 AM
egonlou

Bikes: Specialized Roubeaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally throw an arm in the air like what would you like me to do and give them 'the look' or look back and with my left arm sweep from back to front as in 'the road is ALL yours, feel free to pass'.

Then when I catch up to them at the next light I ask "So are you there yet?"
Old 10-17-05, 08:26 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LY2KW
Never. Instead, build yourself a shield, pretend you are deaf and blind.

Stay calm, they are inside their cages, they won't bite you. In the depth of their hearts they want to be as free as you are. A honk is just a polite way to say hello.
I liked this post...it was kind of poetic.

Next time I get honked at, I'll reply with "Hello to you too, friendly cager!"
Originally Posted by egonlou
I like this too! Simple, nonaggressive, yet devastating.
Old 10-17-05, 09:16 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Apparently, I am missing out on this. I spend most of my time on the road and never have been honked at. I'm sure I will have the pleasure soon when I start a different longer route.
Old 10-17-05, 09:55 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by egonlou
I generally throw an arm in the air like what would you like me to do and give them 'the look' or look back and with my left arm sweep from back to front as in 'the road is ALL yours, feel free to pass'.

At which point they pull out the jammy and blow your head off.

<cynicism>People are ignorant and unhappy with their lives. This will never change, so we should get used to the honking.</cynicism>
Old 10-17-05, 11:45 AM
gmacrider
Ice Eater

Bikes: Specialized Rockhopper (summer), Nakamura Battle Pig (winter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by d2create
Blow him a kiss. Insecure rednecks love that.
I HAFTA remember to start doing this. A truly excellent suggestion - much better than the instinctive finger. Especially coming from an ugly biker guy like me. Heh heh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.