Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommend good gear ratio? moving from 4-speed to 7-speed geared hub

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 03:34 AM
hkckoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all bike enthusiasts. Currently riding in the city in a mixed flat/hilly terrain (well there is one hill that I am struggling with)
I am mostly using 4th and sometimes 3rd gear. 2nd when climbing slight hills and the 1st gear only on the one steep hill that I am struggling with. but like 80-90% of time I am in 4th gear. So from the new 7speed hub I would appreciate a slightly harder gear than I currently have, sometimes I get bored when riding on flat terrain.

This is what I came up with, I am open to suggestions as to a ring/cog combination that would do better.
https://ritzelrechner.de/?GR=SAX8&KB...Z2=14&UF2=1380

Yes, I do use 18 inch wheel, my bike frame is highly specific/non-standard. I use this to move around https://halfbikes.com/

Though I must say I am afraid of such a setup, as I am rarely using 2nd gear on my current hub, seems like I would lose first 4 gears on my new kindernay hub.
Any recommendions?
I am not sure I will be able to fit a 12t 9-spline cog on the hub, but I think it is possible, then the ratio would look like this
https://ritzelrechner.de/?GR=SAX8&KB...Z2=12&UF2=1380
and seems like a better suited option, but this is my first time building up my own gear setup.
thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-13-23, 05:25 AM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
According to this page:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html

For a 5-8 speed IGH your second highest gear should be ~5.6 development. Since you want a bigger gear, I would adjust this formula so that your 3rd highest gear was ~5.6 meters development. I would bias my sprocket choices toward the largest cog and largest chainring practical to achieve this, definitely larger than a 12t. The reason being that larger cogs wear longer than smaller ones.
Old 01-13-23, 08:14 AM
hkckoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, thanks, this is useful info, so from these findings, going for 14T cog and 46T chainring seems like a better option
https://ritzelrechner.de/?GR=KND7&KB...Z2=14&UF2=1380
I am just not sure how much I will utilize gears 1-3 with development 2.2-3.5meters when I am rarely using 5-6m development on my current sturmey archer hub (first two gears)
Old 01-15-23, 07:51 AM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Looks good. Ride it. It is relatively cheap to adjust your gear range by changing the rear sprocket if you don't like the current setup.
Old 01-15-23, 08:05 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
You didn't mention what brand of 4 speed you currently have but both Sturmey Archer and Shimano 4 speed hubs are direct in first with no underdrive gears.
Switching to a 7 speed Shimano hub will give you underdrive gears and a slower ratio at the top end than you currently have so you will want either a smaller sprocket or a larger chain ring for sure.
Old 01-15-23, 11:07 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
You didn't mention what brand of 4 speed you currently have but both Sturmey Archer and Shimano 4 speed hubs are direct in first with no underdrive gears.
The Halfbike 3 uses an SA hub, but I wonder if it is a specific OEM product made for their machine? Otherwise the gearing should be high enough. With the normal 4 speed hub, if the cogs are 42/14, it would range from 54 to 113 gear inches, I think. That would be 4.3 to 9.0 meters. Do I have the chainring and rear cog correct?

Otto
Old 01-15-23, 12:01 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
WTF. TROLL-advertisement..
116 GI = way over 30 mph. On that clown POS standup scooter that will only do flat MUPs ???

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-15-23 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-16-23, 02:35 AM
hkckoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ofajen
The Halfbike 3 uses an SA hub, but I wonder if it is a specific OEM product made for their machine? Otherwise the gearing should be high enough. With the normal 4 speed hub, if the cogs are 42/14, it would range from 54 to 113 gear inches, I think. That would be 4.3 to 9.0 meters. Do I have the chainring and rear cog correct?

Otto
yes, half bike 3 uses standard sturmey archer RX-4, the one with drum brake. no OEM product. the chainring and rear cog are correct.
Old 01-16-23, 02:37 AM
hkckoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Switching to a 7 speed Shimano hub will give you underdrive gears and a slower ratio at the top end than you currently have so you will want either a smaller sprocket or a larger chain ring for sure.
yes, that is true, current hub has no underdrive gears, this new hub has 3 underdrive gears. i guess i will start with 46T/14T and go from there, thank you all.
Old 01-16-23, 02:39 AM
hkckoo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
WTF. TROLL-advertisement..<br />116 GI = way over 30 mph. On that clown POS standup scooter that will only do flat MUPs ???
<br />yes, because everyone wants to be riding their bike standing up, go buy three for the price of two now.