Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are expensive bikes necessary? (Moral conundrum.)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 09:55 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been thinking about something recently. I'm a bit morally torn with what I've been thinking. So here it goes.

I live in the US. People can buy whatever the heck they want, provided they have the money for it. But the question I often ask myself is... why?

Why do people spend multiple thousands of dollars on a Ultegra equipped, fully carbon road bike when a 105 equipped, aluminum one would preform equally well? (Yes, different materials ride differently, but let's ignore that for now.) The vast majority of people who ride these bikes can't and won't take advantage of those extra few grams saved or the extra few milliseconds that the Ultegra shifts faster. Now, I'm not comparing bargain components to top of the line components; Cairis vs. Ultegra. That's obvious. But 105s vs Ultegra? Can you take advantage of that minute change?

As an asside. More expensive mountain bikes do justifiably offer better performance, so the price range/features would have to be upped for a similar comparison.

BUT, this is a free country. People are free to spend their money as they see fit. But why do I feel... odd, when I think about a college kid riding a ~$1500 mountain bike as a commuter back and forth to his dorm? Why am I mad when I see that same bike with a rusted chain and cassette, left out in the rain every day, never oiled or washed? I'm not jealous. I don't want any of those bikes. I am perfectly happy with what I have. I feel bad... for the bikes.

A few times now I've seen people who ride VERY expensive (to me) mountain bikes, ~$3000+, but don't take care of them at all. Some of them don't even know how to adjust a derailleur. Now, I could see this being OK on a road bike. Often times road bikes are set up and adjusted by the shop. Since they're not often jarred, chains usually don't fall off and things don't often need adjusted. This isn't the case with mountain bikes. Every hard jolt or even minor wrecks have the opportunity to knock your chain off or knock things out of alignment. If you mountain bike alone, you NEED to know some basic maintenance to be safe. I posted this in another thread, but one of these bikes was RACED, and the rider never changed the chain in the 4 years they had the bike. It was SO bad that it wouldn't even mesh with the chainring anymore. I just don't get it. Why does that make me mad?

No, I'm not fuming. I'm not generally an emotional person. But I always feel a twang of anger when I see a situation like this.

So I guess the question is this. Why pay the premium for a bike (whether road or mountain) when a much cheaper bike offers 95% -98% of the performance of the bike you just bought. Especially if you don't intend to take care of that bike and there's no way you could ever take advantage of that very minute performance gain. Again, I'm not talking bargain vs. entry level bikes here. The difference between ciaris or similar and 105s is much more that a 5% performance change. I'm talking about a $1500 road bike vs. a $3000-$4000 road bike. Or a $2000 mountain bike vs. a $5000 mountain bike.

I'm not looking for an argument. I'm not calling people stupid for spending this much money on their bikes. People are free to spend their money how they wish. I just don't know. I'm torn. Has anyone ever felt the same way?
Old 07-09-15, 10:03 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What you buy is your own business.

What everyone else buys is their business.

I'm no psychologist, but if you have an emotional response to others possessions, that sounds like a personal issue (possibly an indicator of a more deep seated issue) that you should probably focus on rectifying.
Old 07-09-15, 10:03 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
one would first have to decide if bikes were necessary at all...and then they would have to decide how what bike anyone else had or did not have affected them at all...then they would have to decide if morals exist... and then what makes something moral....I guess there is an unlimited number of things that would have to be decided before one could consider if expensive bikes were moral... and what about a jelly filled pastry, would those be moral?
Old 07-09-15, 10:05 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Why does anyone need a $1500 road bike when an $850 one will do the job?
Old 07-09-15, 10:21 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I saw a person riding a rusty bike yesterday. And someone else eating a jelly roll. It was a good day!
Old 07-09-15, 10:45 AM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I had expensive road bikes and mountain bikes and did not like them. I ride old school Huffy bicycles because I like them.
Old 07-09-15, 10:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I like German Machined parts , they dont come cheap.
Old 07-09-15, 10:53 AM
RR3
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
105 is garbage. Doesn't last. Heck, I wouldn't even put ultegra on my bikes. Did you ever hear that the cost of something is not the initial price?

So I guess the question is this. Why pay the premium for a bike (whether road or mountain) when a much cheaper bike offers 95% -98% of the performance of the bike you just bought.
Because once a rider has spent say a 1,000 hours in training, they cannot get anymore improvement. They are maxxed out and they might have only increased their VO2 max by 15% in total. Spending a couple grand or even ten grand for that additional 5% in performance is cheap in comparison. That is why. For those who have the money, it is a no-brainer.
Old 07-09-15, 10:58 AM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could extend that train of thought to expensive cars, expensive houses, cellphones, clothes, etc.

We could all "get by" living in 10 x 10 apartments with $5000 Smart Cars, basic brick cellular telephones and potato sacks for clothes.

Does the guy who owns a Lamborghini but has no idea how to maintain it really deserve to own that car?

If it makes you feel better, consider that every person who buys a $4000 road bike made by the same company that made your bike in part help that company sell you your bike for just a little less than otherwise.

If nobody bought Lamborghinis, and let's face it, nobody really NEEDS a Lamborghini, the company would cease to exist.
Old 07-09-15, 10:59 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
There is no such thing as a need.

i buy nice bikes because I want them.
Old 07-09-15, 11:19 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You could ask similar questions about virtually any item. Why buy a $40,000 car when you could get by with a $500 used junker? Why spend $1,500 on a 105 equipped bike when you could buy a used bike on Craiglist for $150? Why spend $50 on Levis when you could buy $5 jeans at a thrift store? Why buy a 6-pack of craft beer for $9 when you could buy PBR for $4. Why spend $50 at a nice restaurant when you could eat at McDonalds for less than $10?

If it makes you feel any better, buying more expensive products helps the economy, creates jobs, etc. Arguably it's better spending $2,000 on a bike than blowing the same amount of money on liquor and cigarettes.
Old 07-09-15, 11:38 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
You could ask similar questions about virtually any item. Why buy a $40,000 car when you could get by with a $500 used junker? Why spend $1,500 on a 105 equipped bike when you could buy a used bike on Craiglist for $150? Why spend $50 on Levis when you could buy $5 jeans at a thrift store? Why buy a 6-pack of craft beer for $9 when you could buy PBR for $4. Why spend $50 at a nice restaurant when you could eat at McDonalds for less than $10?

If it makes you feel any better, buying more expensive products helps the economy, creates jobs, etc. Arguably it's better spending $2,000 on a bike than blowing the same amount of money on liquor and cigarettes.

But it's not the same. I specifically asked about say, a 105 bike compared to a ultegra. There isn't a large difference there in performance, but there IS a large difference in price. Obviously cheap bikes vs. actual bikes are going to be different.

I'm specifically asking about bikes that are VERY similar in performance, but MUCH different in price.
Old 07-09-15, 11:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
I don't have, and have never had a bike worth over $1000. I soundly believe in letting someone else pay the ridiculous new prices, and then buying the bikes used when they get tired of them.

If I wouldn't want to ride a 50 pound MTB(ish) up a hill on a paved road, I certainly wouldn't want to ride it up a steep technical mountain trail.

As road bikes converge to 15 to 25 lbs... I wonder if the greater amount to be gained is in the superlight MTBs.

I'm still not sure about the idea of MTBs with only half a fork????
Old 07-09-15, 11:43 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33

I'm specifically asking about bikes that are VERY similar in performance, but MUCH different in price.
I ride road bikes, but I am more of a MTBer or SSer. With MTBs, I cannot picture bikes with similar performance and extremely different prices. Do you have a road bike example?
Old 07-09-15, 11:45 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
There is no such thing as a need.

i buy nice bikes because I want them.
There are needs. It helps me to keep these needs in perspective. The real needs, in order of importance: oxygen, water, food, sleep and clothing/shelter. Everything else is a want. Everything.

Ben
Old 07-09-15, 11:48 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My grandfather use to give me abuck one in a while with the stipulation that before I spent the dollar, or any part of it on anything. I had to tell him what I intended to purchase. So I would tell him I was going to spend say the entire dollor on something. Then he would always say do you want it, or need it.

Grandpa taught me to think about the value of money, need v/s want. No you do not need an expensive bicycle. But if you are not robbing your kids of say school cloths, or you family of basic nessessaties.

Buy what makes you happy, enjoy it, as you might not be alive in a to buy it if you put it off.
Old 07-09-15, 11:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
I ride road bikes, but I am more of a MTBer or SSer. With MTBs, I cannot picture bikes with similar performance and extremely different prices. Do you have a road bike example?
My "Team Dumpster" and "Jessica J". Team Dumpster/aka Jessica was a mid-priced late '89s/early '90s Reynolds 501 sport frame that had been hit by an SUV hard. With a frame repair, replacement fork and on hand parts, set up as a fix gear, it became the most fun bike i had owned since my racing bike 25 years before. Knowing that frame wasn't long for this world and unwilling to take it into the hills for fear of it breaking, I had a replacement made of ti with nearly identical geometry but with a much more versatile rear dropout (Jessica J). Same fun! Just more because I can ride this bike on any hill. $105 vs $4000+. And if I were to time my flattish loop on the two bikes in the same gear, they would be identical.

Ben
Old 07-09-15, 11:56 AM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have the bucks, go for it. When I was a teenager, spending $100 was a very big deal. Now, $100 is pocket change. What really irks me are people that borrow money to buy frivolous items. Some friends are perpetually broke because they luxury items on credit. Like getting a bank loan to buy a stereo. I broke my own indebted cycle many years ago when I finally got fed up with being broke. After I paid off my house, I never used credit again. Now, I am considering spending $16,000 on a custom built high end bicycle. I am considering very slowly because it is $16,000 but it is $16,000 that was saved.
Old 07-09-15, 12:00 PM
stevebiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Why does anyone need a $1500 road bike when an $850 one will do the job?
Because you can't get a good, full carbon road bike for $850. At least not of any quality, that I know of.

Full carbon is more comfortable than a cheaper aluminum bike, which is probably what you're referring to when you say $850. That's why I spent $1,800 on a new 2012 Scott CR1. And I don't regret it one bit.

Of course, if a cheaper bike will "do the job" for you, then that's the correct choice. Otherwise there is no correct choice. Buy what you want.
Old 07-09-15, 12:14 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
No, expensive bikes are not necessary. Of course not.

Whether buying something that is expensive but unnecessary is immoral, is something better asked of a religious leader than an enthusiast forum.
Old 07-09-15, 12:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Hmmm...
Perhaps a 2014 NOS bike vs a 2015 New bike of the same model???

Used bikes?

There is always the question.... 105 vs Ultegra vs Dura Ace????

There is a huge variety of bike frames on the market. Steel, Stainless, Titanium, Aluminum, Carbon Fiber.... yes, each different, but prices are all over the board. There is also buying a brand name. Colnago vs Scott????
Old 07-09-15, 12:27 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
I'm a bit morally torn with what I've been thinking. Has anyone ever felt the same way?
The Ennui of ownership, interest in what other people spend their money on and confusing moral issues with economic ones are not hobbies of mine.
Isn't this sort weak self congratulating hair shirted un-boasting an A&S topic for agonizing over while online at Starbucks?

-Bandera
Old 07-09-15, 12:32 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
But it's not the same. I specifically asked about say, a 105 bike compared to a ultegra. There isn't a large difference there in performance, but there IS a large difference in price. Obviously cheap bikes vs. actual bikes are going to be different.

If you are specifically asking about Ultegra vs 105, my view is that it's not worth paying the extra money purely from a performance standpoint. I have bikes with 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace components. Quite frankly, the DA components have worn out or broken quicker than Ultegra, and the weight savings are minimal. I will almost always buy Ultegra over DA parts unless I can buy the DA stuff for the same or less money. I don't have as many 105 components, but the few that I own generally have a lower quality of finish compared to Ultegra and are slightly heavier, but they function just as well.

One of the nice things about bike components is that you can often buy new parts from a particular group (eg, Ultegra) that are lighter and higher quality than a more expensive group (eg, Dura-Ace) from a few years previous. However, more discouraging trends are the continuing trends toward lighter components and more complexity that often lead to less durability and sometimes more problems. For example, chains will wear out much sooner with 10-11 speed groups than older 8-9 speed groups.
Old 07-09-15, 12:34 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What is the conundrum and whose is it? I cannot find that in the original post.
Old 07-09-15, 12:42 PM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RR3
105 is garbage. Doesn't last. Heck, I wouldn't even put ultegra on my bikes. Did you ever hear that the cost of something is not the initial price?

Because once a rider has spent say a 1,000 hours in training, they cannot get anymore improvement. They are maxxed out and they might have only increased their VO2 max by 15% in total. Spending a couple grand or even ten grand for that additional 5% in performance is cheap in comparison. That is why. For those who have the money, it is a no-brainer.
I assume you are referring to a professional rider getting paid to be on a bike correct?
Because if you were not getting paid to ride and you maxxed out your performance why would you pay a lot of extra money for nothing other than a mechanical increase in speed?
Because it looks more impressive on Strava?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.