Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Black Campagnolo Shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 05:55 AM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts

Does anyone know more information about these black Campagnolo shifters? I'm wondering about the color really. I haven't found any shifters anodized black like this. Was this an option when bought new back in the day? An option I just don't know about? Or was it popular to anodize or change the color in a different method at home?

After a quick look at Velobase.com I'm thinking the are Campagnolo 1013/5 1013/6, Record.

If it helps the shifters are on a 1976 Merz touring bicycle with canti brakes and a drivetrain you'd expect to find on an old touring bike. I tried contacting Jim Merz for a build sheet but he didn't have one for this serial number.

Old 05-16-20, 08:31 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Campagnolo never made or sold those shifters in black. That was done aftermarket.

It was once fairly common to take your parts to your local plating shop to get them anodized. I remember doing it for customers at the LBS where I worked. You want those purple? Sure.
Likes For Salamandrine: