Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes. compatable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 12:24 PM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts

hi. so i have a folding zizzo liberate with an 8 speed cassette. i've been reading forums and folks say that 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes will fit on this wheel as they're basically the same thickness. i wanted to put a ten speed cassette on the zizzo and took it to the bike shop near me to have them do this. they say they can't ,as its only good for the 8 speed cassette on it now. there is no spacer behind the cassette was the explanation to me. i'm not convinced that i can't put an 10 speed cassette on this bike along with chain change and shifter change. any enlightment out there for me going forward. thanks.
Old 02-21-23, 12:38 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
A 10 speed cassette will fit on that freehub. Typically when you buy a 10 speed cassette it will come with a 1.0mm spacer, which goes behind the cassette. You can easily buy one if it didn't.
Old 02-21-23, 12:39 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
You'll need a 10 speed shifter because the cable pull is different per shift. Also a 10 speed chain because they are narrower to fit between the cogs.
Is this all Shimano compatible?
Get a new LBS, unless you aren't telling the rest of the story.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-21-23, 12:39 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
A 10 speed cassette would fit on your wheel. However, unless you have friction shifting you will need a new shifter and chain as well. To be figure out exactly what you might need more details about your bike other than that you currently have an 8 speed cassette will be needed
Old 02-21-23, 01:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
out of curiosity what benefit are you looking for with the change? l

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-21-23, 05:29 PM
jdogg111

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
out of curiosity what benefit are you looking for with the change? l
closer step ups or downs.
Old 02-21-23, 07:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
closer step ups or downs.
Closer spacing is dear to my heart!!!
Bad knees, 28% lung capacity and now going on 80.

Possibly a different cassette & chain ring can give you the gears you need AND maintain "adequate" spacing.
IF you never use the 11T and don't have any hills, a 13-26T cassette "might" do the job.
A 1x8 is pretty minimal for a 1 X anything.
You know your terrain, self & bike best.
Old 02-22-23, 03:39 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
It'll fit, and the other posters should note you already mentioned you'd be replacing the shifter and chain, too. Your bike shop is run by fools, go somewhere else.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 03-01-23, 05:02 AM
kommisar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jdogg111
hi. so i have a folding zizzo liberate with an 8 speed cassette. i've been reading forums and folks say that 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes will fit on this wheel as they're basically the same thickness. i wanted to put a ten speed cassette on the zizzo and took it to the bike shop near me to have them do this. they say they can't ,as its only good for the 8 speed cassette on it now. there is no spacer behind the cassette was the explanation to me. i'm not convinced that i can't put an 10 speed cassette on this bike along with chain change and shifter change. any enlightment out there for me going forward. thanks.
9 speed will work without issue. A 10 speed cassette has a dished large cog (not flat like rest of them) which will require the derailleur to move further inboard when the chain is running on it. This could cause the derailleur cage to contact the tire, particularly if the bike has small wheels (406) and wide tires (2.1"). I cannot mount a 10 speed cassette on my recumbent because of this issue.

Last edited by kommisar; 03-01-23 at 05:07 AM.