Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My new $7,000 bike and the futility of justifying the price to the average person.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 07:36 PM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts

The average cost of a pack Marlboro Reds in the US is $9.73. The average cost of a six pack of Bud in the US is $7.25. The average weed smoker in the US spends about $2500 in a year according to a weed smoker I know (this may be more or less). $9.73+$7.25 = $16.98 a day for the booze and butts. $2500/365= about $7 a day for weed. $16.98+$7 = $23.98 a day. $23.98 x 365 = $8,752.70 in a year for the average American to satisfy his or her self gratification. $8,752-$7000 = - $1,1752. So I'm still short since I do not smoke tobacco, consume alcohol or use weed. This is the best I can do. And this expense is for just one year, the expense for average self gratification goes on year after year until of course the medical expenses kick in. My last bike which I paid $3000 for in 2008 has lasted me for seven years. This is the best way I can explain the cost. People look very confused and dumb when I explain it this way. The pedals and some special wheels increase the cost of the bike.

SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Dura Ace 2 - SUPERSIX EVO - ELITE ROAD - ROAD - BIKES - 2015

Last edited by Ray9; 02-16-15 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 07:49 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why bother tryibg to explain to people who just don't understand? They probably don't understand why you even waste all that time cycling to begin with.
Old 02-16-15, 07:57 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
What if you like to ride bikes, smoke weed, and drink beer?
Old 02-16-15, 07:59 PM
OntheRun.

Bikes: Klein Q-Pro Carbon Team, Bridgestone MB-3, Mercier Kilo TT, BB17 Karma

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
What if you like to ride bikes, smoke weed, and drink beer?
Smoke weed and then go for a ride. Best thing ever.
Old 02-16-15, 08:05 PM
basqueonacaad

Bikes: CDALE CAAD10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what color scheme?
Old 02-16-15, 08:20 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, no point trying to justify the cost of our bikes to anyone but ourselves. To a non-cycleinst even the price of big box bikes seems to be high.

Consider the initial cost of your wife's wedding ring somewhere in the ballpark of $569K / ounce, and at that rate, $154M for a 17 lb bike.

Yet my personal limits on bikes would be very high at $2K - I cannot justify a $7K bike. Heck, I hated paying $10K for a car. "Wow, nice bike! How much did you pay for that?" Shrug ... "can't really remember, 'bout 1/2 retail maybe." (No matter how I purchased it, always "half-retail maybe.."
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 02-16-15, 08:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Spending $7000 dollars on a bicycle is futility... I could easily purchase 4-5 different bikes with that amount of money, instead of wasting all that money on just one bike, and I would still have some change left to buy many cases of beer. I bet all the LBS employees are having a great big laugh amongst themselves every time they sell such an expensive bike to somebody.
Old 02-16-15, 08:23 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
...all the LBS employees are having a great big laugh amongst themselves every time they sell such an expensive bike to somebody.

Why would they laugh?
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 02-16-15, 08:35 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
7K is pocket lint for some.. and a lot to others.. don't judge... I like his logic.
Old 02-16-15, 09:13 PM
simplybao

Bikes: s-works FSR stumpy, custom Lynskey, Trek Madone

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll get flamed for this, but I smoke. I drink. And I like expensive bikes :-). What's a lot of money is relative. For some, $500 for bike is crazy expensive. $7K? That would be crazy talk for most. I have $1K in my wheels....but to each their own right?

I use no justification. I just spend and when asked, I just say enough
Old 02-16-15, 09:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Why discuss this with ANYBODY except your spouse (if any). What you spend on a bike, or any hobby, or what you spend on ANYTHING is nobody's business. (as long as you're not using a stolen credit card). It's nobody's business how much you make, or what you do with it. Ride your bike and play your cards closer to your chest.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-16-15, 09:26 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Seven grand for that?! When just 3 more will get you this?!?

Cheezus!
Old 02-16-15, 09:27 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
real nice but I think you should have gone for the diamondback Serios AF, all you ever wanted in a road bike and more
Old 02-16-15, 09:30 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why discuss this with ANYBODY except your spouse (if any). What you spend on a bike, or any hobby, or what you spend on ANYTHING is nobody's business. (as long as you're not using a stolen credit card). It's nobody's business how much you make, or what you do with it. Ride your bike and play your cards closer to your chest.
+1 exactly
Old 02-16-15, 09:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
+1 Absolutely!
Old 02-16-15, 09:52 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spending $7000 dollars on a bicycle is futility... I could easily purchase 4-5 different bikes with that amount of money, instead of wasting all that money on just one bike, and I would still have some change left to buy many cases of beer. I bet all the LBS employees are having a great big laugh amongst themselves every time they sell such an expensive bike to somebody.
This type of response is exactly why you shouldn't explain how much you paid for your bike. Unless you're a high end cycling fanatic, you're going to think someone is stupid for spending $7k on a single bike.
Old 02-16-15, 10:23 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Why is it anyones business what you or I spend on our bikes. It is our money, and we have a right to spend it on anything we want.
Old 02-16-15, 10:29 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
+1

I am completely honest and upfront with my wife about the cost of my hobby(s). That doesn't mean she knows exactly what I spend or how much my bicycles cost. That being said... the household comes first... after our health of course. Nothing is overlooked, set aside, or let go to support ether of our interests. And if at all possible people should have interests, hobbies, activity's, passions. After all this isn't a rehearsal for life. This is it!

It's rare that someone comes right out and asks how much my bicycle(s) cost. Generally they try to bait a response saying something like: "I hear these bikes can cost over a thousand dollars".

I always give a vague responses. I say things like: "You know how prices for toys are... you can spend as much as you want".
"Yeah... but the recumbent bikes are REALLY pricey".
"I always shop for sales".
"Mine is only an entry level... for that style of bike".
"I could have spent less but I would have had to drive 50 miles to the next big bike shop.... and I hate to waste gasoline".
"I have no other vises!"
And my favorite: "I was having a mid-life crisis. It was ether the bicycle... or a 19 year old red head. I decided the bicycle would be better for my health"
Old 02-16-15, 10:41 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If someone asks me the cost of my bike(s) I just tell them $200. They don't know the difference, but it seems believable to them. Those who know the truth don't need to ask.
Old 02-16-15, 10:43 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I am an adherent to the $400.00 rule.

If someone asks what you paid for your bike at a party or other social setting with non-cyclists, tell them $400.00
This gets appreciative nods and comments like "I heard you were quite the biker"
(oh, how I cringe inwardly when called a "biker")
This is usually followed up with, "That must really be a nice bike"
Your next move is to say "Yes it is, I like it, thank you".

Then the conversation can move right along to some other subject.

The alternative is a drink spit out, as below, if you tell them the real cost of your bike.
Old 02-16-15, 10:54 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
Why would they laugh?
Cuz they're smoking' weed and drinking beer with your money... Duh!

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 02-16-15 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-16-15, 11:02 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Honestly, I'm glad that there are people who can, and do spend this kind of money on a bike. More power to them!
Old 02-16-15, 11:09 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
True story...I'm teaching a university business law class and as an example I say, "Suppose I'm selling one of my bikes for $200 and another for $2,000, how might the contracts differ in form?" The class laughed and someone said, "Who would spend $2,000 on a bike, is it made of solid gold?"

So much to teach and so little time.
Old 02-16-15, 11:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Was the whole point of this thread just a way of announcing that you got a new bicycle?

And/or are you trying to justify the bicycle to yourself?
Old 02-16-15, 11:53 PM
RoadTire 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would they laugh?

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Cuz they're smoking' weed and drinking beer with your money... Duh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.