Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ixon IQ Premium Bike Light may be the best Bike Light I've ever seen (Lumotec Cyo Pr)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ixon IQ Premium Bike Light may be the best Bike Light I've ever seen (Lumotec Cyo Pr)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 09:46 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've been using a B&M Luxos U dynamo light since August on my main commuter bike, replacing a Light & Motion Urban 700. The Luxos is not as bright as the Urban 700 but has several advantages. As others mentioned, the Luxos shaped beam uses its light more effectively, and you never have to worry about batteries going dead. (Although I never had that problem with my battery powered light, as I charge it every day that it's used.)

The biggest advantage of the dynamo light for me is that there is no penalty for running it on high and thus having to worry about the battery running low. I typically run my Urban 700 on medium or low to extend the battery life between charges. However, I can run the Luxos on high as much as I want, so it's effectively just as bright as the Urban 700 (which I usually run on medium when it's dark outside). On a similar note, I can extend my commute distance in the late afternoons and evenings without worrying about the battery running low on my light.

I've been considering buying another B&M light, probably the Ixon IQ Premium, to install on my other touring bike since I can easily swap the dynamo wheel between those bikes. The prices are so much cheaper if ordered direct from Germany that it might be nice to have two bikes equipped with dynamo lighting.
Old 12-29-15, 12:15 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Batteries are a waste, dyno hubs are really the way to go if practicable for your wheel/fork etc.

That said, i love my headlight. It's the Lumotech Lyt LED, Standlight, Auto Sensor, w/ Switch. It has a "on" a "lyt" sensor switch and "off". The selector is a dial type affair on the back of the housing. I like that i can reach it while riding even though it is down above the front fender.

I wonder what the beam shape difference is between handlebar mount and fork crown mount? I like it where it is, low and not in other people's faces and easy to aim for best visibility.

- Andy
Old 12-29-15, 12:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
Batteries are a waste, dyno hubs are really the way to go if practicable for your wheel/fork etc.

That said, i love my headlight. It's the Lumotech Lyt LED, Standlight, Auto Sensor, w/ Switch. It has a "on" a "lyt" sensor switch and "off". The selector is a dial type affair on the back of the housing. I like that i can reach it while riding even though it is down above the front fender.

I wonder what the beam shape difference is between handlebar mount and fork crown mount? I like it where it is, low and not in other people's faces and easy to aim for best visibility.

- Andy
I doubt the difference is very big.

How many lux is your light rated at, and how fast are you comfortable going with it?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-29-15, 03:24 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by ign1te
Question
If you, like me, find the IQ premium to be too dim, what other brighter lights do you recommend?
Give the Fenix BC30 a try. That's what I would get if I were in the market for a battery powered headlight that's brighter than the B&M.
Old 12-30-15, 09:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
If the new IQ Premium is that bad for you, take another $500 down to your LBS and ask for the biggest, brightest light they've got. (Do they still make HID bike lights?) You'll blind any traffic (walking, cycling, or motorized) coming toward you -- at least until the battery runs down -- but you should be able to see the nematodes crossing the street. (Unless, of course, you're dazzled by the reflective traffic sign half a block up.)