Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain Philosophy

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain Philosophy

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 05:30 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Do you see what the problem is ?
No.
Old 11-10-20, 01:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klXLLtzR-Uk
Old 11-10-20, 01:31 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Soft lighting and hipster beard warning!
Old 11-10-20, 03:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Soft lighting and hipster beard warning!

....and tats. He does, however, state clearly what I've been trying to convey about how an elongated chain link hits the sprocket teeth at just the right place on the teeth to create wear. And the idea that the smaller the cog, the faster the wear, because those teeth hit the chain that many more times in a revolution of the pedals is well stated. I was hoping that with the visual aid, and the pointing, it would make sense. I admit that the waxed, curled ends on that 'stache are a distraction.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-10-20, 03:08 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
....and tats. He does, however, state clearly what I've been trying to convey about how an elongated chain link hits the sprocket teeth at just the right place on the teeth to create wear. And the idea that the smaller the cog, the faster the wear, because those teeth hit the chain that many more times in a revolution of the pedals is well stated. I was hoping that with the visual aid, and the pointing, it would make sense. I admit that the waxed, curled ends on that 'stache are a distraction.
He also has the obligatory black t-shirt with print on it
You're right about the contents, though.
Old 11-16-20, 09:42 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 24 Posts
KMC here. Sorry to revive this a week later. Thanks for the love above. A lot of info and opinions to digest in this thread, but I wanted to make a few small points.

- We have different levels, and thus quality, of chains. Our premium 8 speed chain is X8 which has a chromized pin (that doesn't rust) for extended durability. Our base level 8 speed chain is Z8 (new model names started a couple years ago). Z8 does not have a chromized pin.
- We offer anti rust coatings, including premium EPT where all parts are coated pre-assembly making it almost bomb proof. Your chain will wear out before it significantly rusts.
- We don't suggest running a chain past the recommended wear length of 0.8% as performance is affected and it will affect increased wear on other drivetrain parts.
Old 11-17-20, 12:07 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Originally Posted by Papa Ado
KMC here. Sorry to revive this a week later. Thanks for the love above. A lot of info and opinions to digest in this thread, but I wanted to make a few small points.

- We have different levels, and thus quality, of chains. Our premium 8 speed chain is X8 which has a chromized pin (that doesn't rust) for extended durability. Our base level 8 speed chain is Z8 (new model names started a couple years ago). Z8 does not have a chromized pin.
- We offer anti rust coatings, including premium EPT where all parts are coated pre-assembly making it almost bomb proof. Your chain will wear out before it significantly rusts.
- We don't suggest running a chain past the recommended wear length of 0.8% as performance is affected and it will affect increased wear on other drivetrain parts.
Thanks for the reply. But if the price of the drivetrain parts are comparable to the price of the chain that what are you really saving?

I got maybe 3 months on this chain. Rust is not an issue.
Old 11-17-20, 12:14 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I'd recommend replace the chain fairly frequently - that will reduce wear on the cassette and you won't have to change that so frequently. I won't recommend a chain-changing schedule - that depends on how clean/lubed you maintain your chain. Neglectful chain maintenance - replace chain often. Fastidious chain maintenance - replace chain less often.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Got a question about chain replacement intervals on lower end drivetrains.

I built a high power mid drive ebike in June. Replaced the chain at 0.75% stretch, maybe 1500 miles. Since it is a heavy bike, heavy rider, big motor that gets ridden hard figure 1500 mile isn't unreasonable. I purposely went with a 1x8 set up so I can use the cheaper (and allegedly stronger) chains, typically KMC z51's.

But during a search for ebike chain life came across a number of people who said to throw out the chain stretch tool and just replace both the chain and the cassette when it starts to skip. Said no point wasting even inexpensive chains to protect only slightly more pricey cassettes. One even suggested buying a stock of 11 and 12 tooth replacement sprockets because those tend to wear out the fastest.

Just bought a stack of 8 speed compatible KMC chains for under $10 each (got some blue ones for $6). Notice most 8 speed cassettes are under $20. Have to admit the idea has merit.

One worry is the front chain ring is specific to the hub motor, is difficult to source and runs $125. It is a wide and narrow so figure less likely to wear due to no shifting?

What do you think, save the chain stretch tool for the pricey 10&11 speed drive trains and ride the cheaper ones?
Old 11-17-20, 01:13 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

How do you propose measuring "wear". Actual elongation or between the rollers? KMC Gauges seem to suggest the preferred KMC method is between the rollers?

From experience and measuring with a digital calliper I know all chains have some slop in the rollers and not all rollers are the same diameter. A new KMC x10 chain measures ~132.25 mm between 12 rollers (11 links). Adding 0.8% comes out to 133.3 mm, but the actual elongation measured on the pins would be much less, as the rollers, in my experience, wears significantly before the chain is actually elongated to any significant degree.

Can you please elaborate?
Old 11-17-20, 09:07 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Thanks for the reply. But if the price of the drivetrain parts are comparable to the price of the chain that what are you really saving?

I got maybe 3 months on this chain. Rust is not an issue.
You mentioned you used the Z51 chain, correct? We suggest the X8 for better durability.
Old 11-17-20, 09:11 PM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
How do you propose measuring "wear". Actual elongation or between the rollers? KMC Gauges seem to suggest the preferred KMC method is between the rollers?

From experience and measuring with a digital calliper I know all chains have some slop in the rollers and not all rollers are the same diameter. A new KMC x10 chain measures ~132.25 mm between 12 rollers (11 links). Adding 0.8% comes out to 133.3 mm, but the actual elongation measured on the pins would be much less, as the rollers, in my experience, wears significantly before the chain is actually elongated to any significant degree.

Can you please elaborate?
The easiest and most convenient way to check chain elongation is at the rollers which also includes other chain wear at the inner link sleeves and pins. It's not perfect but most users won't measure actual chain length so that is why we suggest 0.8% and offer "easy chain checkers" and "digital chain checkers" for most users.
Old 11-17-20, 11:06 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
The easiest and most convenient way to check chain elongation is at the rollers which also includes other chain wear at the inner link sleeves and pins. It's not perfect but most users won't measure actual chain length so that is why we suggest 0.8% and offer "easy chain checkers" and "digital chain checkers" for most users.
Thanks. I agree, its simple doing it between the rollers. However it doesnt answer the inherent question about "+0.8% of what?"

Do you agree with my measurements and calculation, - That the chain is spent at 133.3 mm measured between 12 rollers, as outlined before in #34? And if not, then what?
Old 11-18-20, 12:46 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

We suggest the X8 for better durability.
...thank you for producing these and selling them at a reasonable price. I think of the KMC X8 series as the Sedisport chain for the 21st Century.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 11-18-20, 01:19 AM
Papa Ado
almost like new

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Thanks. I agree, its simple doing it between the rollers. However it doesnt answer the inherent question about "+0.8% of what?"

Do you agree with my measurements and calculation, - That the chain is spent at 133.3 mm measured between 12 rollers, as outlined before in #34? And if not, then what?
0.8% wear overall so your calculation is correct. If you have the time, it may be more accurate to measure pin length for the same distance at 139.7mm (12.7mm*11) and base wear off of this benchmark which would thus eliminate any inconsistent wearing of the rollers (roller measurement kept for quick and easy solution).
Old 11-18-20, 08:55 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Stop saying 'stretch'.
I think it’s fair to say that the chain as a single unit elongates, or “stretches”, even if none of its component parts actually elongates. The parts wear and rearrange slightly over time, resulting in the collective taking on a new, longer, shape. The chain also bends around sprockets, even though no individual part of the chain is actually bending, but no-one’s harping on about that.
I think, after the billionth time, we can talk about chain “stretch“ without having to be reminded, for the billion-and-first time, that no single part is actually stretching. We get it, really 👍

Last edited by Litespud; 11-18-20 at 09:02 AM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 11-19-20, 07:37 AM
Pop N Wood

You mentioned you used the Z51 chain, correct? We suggest the X8 for better durability.
Well turns out I ordered two Z51's, an X8 and two blue Z510's,all on sale. Unfortunately z510's are single speed chains.

I like KMC chains...
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 11-19-20, 08:42 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s as dumb as a bag of hammers.
I'm not sure why you think this is dumb. When I'm working on a project in my garage, I have to tote tools back and forth from my workshop. These may include hammers of different types and weights, which I carry in a canvas bag.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 11-19-20, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6195 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I'm not sure why you think this is dumb. When I'm working on a project in my garage, I have to tote tools back and forth from my workshop. These may include hammers of different types and weights, which I carry in a canvas bag.
<grin> I think a five gallon bucket superior. With it's rigid sides you can peer down into it and see what you want to grab. Or if you even thought to put it in and bring it with you. <grin> And yes I do sometimes have more than one hammer. Different types and different sizes for different blows.

(isn't BF just the greatest place? We can even argue over little bits of humor that others inject into the thread!)
( Moe Zhoost please read this with a chuckle. I think that was your main intention with your post. I'm just building on that thought)
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-21-20, 12:00 PM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Pretending you said something that was different to what you actually said, and then conclude on that basis that the other person's points was merely about semantics. Way to make shyte up, Novalite. Welcome to my ignore list.
The difference between rust and oxidation.
That was what the criticism in your reply was about.
Rust is a reaction with oxygen. It's an oxidation process.
The difference here is semantics,
Your ignore list interests me as much as your semantics: nothing, CargoDane.
Old 11-22-20, 08:14 AM
Pop N Wood

Originally Posted by Novalite
Since the pins are not stainless, and most wear happens there, and the chance is there that worn off steel particles get pressed into the stainless, causing it to rust anyway, what's the gain of the stainless link plates: nothing.
You know that is an interesting point. When I worked in nuclear power plant the mechanics clearly marked certain wire brushes as stainless only to prevent working non-stainless contaminants into stainless. Nuclear power plants use a LOT of stainless steel.

But I think in the case of a bike chain people are more worried about cosmetics, they don't want surface rust on the outer layers of links that are visible.

Don't know about you but my chains don't last long enough to rust anyway. I do store my bikes out of the weather and no longer live near the ocean so rust shouldn't be an issue with normal chain maintenance.