Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you carry cold groceries?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 02:48 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Just thinking if I ever were to use my bike, probably with InStep kid trailer attached to get groceries, how do most of you haul the cold/frozen stuff? Cooler with ice inside?

I usually shop at 2 different stores across the street from each other. It would take me 15-20 minutes to bike there, and 15-20 to bike back, plus the stuff from the first store sitting for the time I'm in the second store. So the stuff from the first store could potentially be out in very hot weather for as much as 45 minutes or so - probably not good for things like milk, frozen fish and chicken, etc.
Old 07-30-12, 03:31 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I buy cold stuff in batches and pack them together so they keep each other cold.

I'd buy as much cold stuff as you can from one shop. You can always buy the smaller load of cold items from shop #1 and take it into shop #2. Tell them you are buying groceries from them and you'd like to pop a bag of perishables into their coolers for a few minutes. I doubt they will mind if you are a regular customer. Then you only have the ride home to deal with. 15-20mins shouldn't need any protection.

I've never troubled with a cooler - too bulky and never seemed needed.
Old 07-30-12, 03:46 PM
khergert
loaded, ready and peddlin

Bikes: Trek 520, Cannondale H600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Jandd grocery panniers with the covers. Pack the cold together, shade from the sun and you will be fine. I buy gallon jugs of milk, and they hold the cold good. 1/2 pints might be different. I'd be partial to one store at a time. Leaving stuff on the bike is taking a chance. You'll be ok for day after day, and then one day, you'll be short. You could always try morning shopping. these days, I get the heavy stuff once a week or so via pickup, and get the day to day small stuff by bike.
Old 07-30-12, 05:46 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Well I normally go shopping once a week for everything. We try our darndest to not have to go to the store between the weekly trip. Problem is there is cold stuff that one store might have that the other might not have. And we drink lactose-free and almond milk around here, so I usually have to buy 4 or 5 half-gallon cartons every week. PITA even with a car.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 07-31-12 at 09:39 AM. Reason: milk, not mile lol
Old 07-31-12, 09:08 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I bought a bunch of grocery store insulated bags. A few are canvas outers with mylar looking insulation inside and zippered tops, the rest are just space-age tech looking plastic bags with ziploc closures. The plastic bags go inside larger canvas bags so they dont get tore up in the trailer/freeloaders. Since we do almost all of our grocery shopping on bike and our two grocers are in opposite directions from the house, we pick one store at a time. Since both stores we shop are equally a 15-20 minute ride from the house, we just use the insulated bags and have never had issues, even on days when the kids are being "pokey". And like others have said, pack all the cold stuff together.

Another trick/tip if you must hit two stores on the same day is bring a thick wool blanket and wrap the cold stuff (inside insulated bags of course) on all sides inside the trailer. Wool is an excellent insulator and that extra few layers may buy you enough time to make another quick stop.
Old 07-31-12, 09:41 AM
PatrickGSR94

Thanks, yeah I bring canvas bags to one store (Aldi). One of them is the insulated/zippered type (aluminum foil bubble-wrap insulation inside) which I use for all the cold stuff as it sits in the car while I'm in the other store. It's usually fine if there's something like a bag of frozen chicken or fish inside with the other stuff. But for not-as-cold stuff like salad and cheese I'd be a bit more worried about them staying cold. I guess I could get a couple of those reusable plastic ice pack things to stick in there.
Old 07-31-12, 10:54 PM
MadCityCyclist

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Salsa Mukluk II, Trek 7500, Raliegh fixie, 3 SS cruisers, JC Higgins Color Flow, Junker Flying Jet, KHS F20-A, Worksman trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a cooler because some items may thaw and get wet during the ride home, so when it is in a cooler (with or without ice) there's no leakage issues.
Old 08-01-12, 03:10 PM
kevbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I stop on the way home from other trips...mostly my work commute. Buying a week of groceries at once was not the norm before cars and must-have-a-car suburbs. Use a bike on a bike's terms...don't try to force fit it into car duty. Note that the interior of a car gets hotter than a cooler would in the shade though... So just find a shaded spot to lock up.
Old 08-03-12, 06:12 AM
dayworks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry them like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cooler.jpg (99.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-03-12, 11:12 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
your cold groceries may be different than mine, as I only need to shop for one. But I found a an ozark trail cooler, 6-pack with removeable hard liner that fits into a wald folding basket perfectly. The other basket carries a full reusable grocery bag.
Old 08-03-12, 11:26 AM
PatrickGSR94

Yeah yesterday I purchased FIVE half-gallon cartons of milk along with several other cold items.
Old 08-03-12, 11:46 AM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I add some Ortlieb spare parts to those soft side coolers one can buy almost anywhere. Look for the ones that have the hard plastic insides.
Basically a few of these parts-->https://www.ortliebusa.com/ProdList.asp?scat=21
Plus one of these-->https://www.igloo-store.com/products/...softiglobasics
Equals a relatively inexpensive insulated pannier.