Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pedal washers for French thread pedals?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Pedal washers for French thread pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 07:10 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
When using washers for this kind of situation, the orientation almost always matters.

Most washers are stamped.
One side will have rounded edges, the other sharp ones.
Place the washer so the sharp edges face outward, not against the aluminium surface.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 02-09-23, 07:28 AM
reroll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
When using washers for this kind of situation, the orientation almost always matters.

Most washers are stamped.
One side will have rounded edges, the other sharp ones.
Place the washer so the sharp edges face outward, not against the aluminium surface.
Yes! You know about washers. Good to see someone who pays attention to details.
Likes For reroll:
Old 02-09-23, 09:10 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Jobst Brandt had a better solution: conical seats as used on automobile lug nuts. But that requires retrofitting cranks and pedals, and retooling pedal manufacturing. Pedal washers do help, and are much easier to utilize.
A conical seat and the average pedal installer would probably make for more exploded cranks than the world has ever seen.

And the Campy pedal eye breaks were probably because the threads were too tight. In the 80's I saw Campy threads so tight the pedal would barely start. Guess why there's a pedal tap in those big Campy tool boxes.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-09-23, 10:35 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
When using washers for this kind of situation, the orientation almost always matters. Most washers are stamped. One side will have rounded edges, the other sharp ones. Place the washer so the sharp edges face outward, not against the aluminium surface.
Glad I checked this topic one more time; I have a bag o' washers arriving and am eager to get pedals installed on a project.

Old 02-09-23, 11:52 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
The only cranksets I ever bought from brand new was a Stronglight 104 bis and a Stronglight 106, brand new in their boxes, back in the first half of the 80's, and I don't remember both having any washers for the pedal threaded holes......Bought lots of new pedals of different brands for my bikes, modern and C&V and also never encountered these said washers with them......Never found them on C&V bikes I"ve bought all these years too.So I don't worry aboit something I never saw and never suffered any consequences doing so all these years.​​​too.only time I encountered washers between two rolling components were between the rear hub and the freewheel, which is more like a shim for chain line clearance from the DS spokes.......

Last edited by Chombi1; 02-10-23 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-09-23, 04:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
A conical seat and the average pedal installer would probably make for more exploded cranks than the world has ever seen.

And the Campy pedal eye breaks were probably because the threads were too tight. In the 80's I saw Campy threads so tight the pedal would barely start. Guess why there's a pedal tap in those big Campy tool boxes.
Maybe so, but Campagnolo stopped including pedal taps in the "complete" tool box in the 70s. I bought mine in '85 and had to buy VAR taps separately. Here's the toolkit contents as shown in Catalog 18:

Campagnolo did continue to offer pedals taps in their "Special Tools section, but not included in the boxed kits:
Old 02-10-23, 06:42 AM
eaglerock

Bikes: 1952 Follis, 1952 Peugeot PC40, 1962 Follis Tour de Europe, 1971 Raleigh Int'l (died unhappy death 😢), 1972 Follis 472, 1973 Follis 572, 1973 Lambert Pro Grand Prix 24 carat, 1984 Trek 720, 1988 Bianchi Superleggera, 1995 VooDoo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
TA started making cranks in the early '60s and pedal washers (ref.137) came with each and every TA crank. Back then TA cranks had "blind" holes; not really a bottoming hole but a thru-hole that had a blanking plug pressed in to the backside. Those were held in only by a tight press fit, and a pedal would often push them out if its threads were too long. I wonder if the ones missing their blanking plug were simply assembled without the supplied washer, which let the pedal come thru too far?

Mark B
The early Campagnolo cranks from the 1950s had the same "blind" holes.

I seem to recall Richard Bryne (former CEO of Speedplay and patron of the Speedplay Pedal Museum, currently in drydock ) posting to the Classic Rendezvous Google group on this subject within the last few years. My understanding in both cases was that those plugged pedal holes were exclusively on aluminum crankarms, which were thicker than the traditional steel arms in order to provide equivalent durability (I've never seen a steel crankarm with a similar plug). But the universe of pedals up to that point (circa 1960) had all been designed for steel cranks; accordingly, the pedal axle stubs were shorter, because the pedal eyes were shallower, as was the case with the exquisitely beautiful TA pedals from the early 50s and the first generation of Campagnolo Record pedals in the late 50s.

When a pedal intended for a steel crankarm was mounted on an aluminum crankarm, the extra depth of the pedal eye left a few threads exposed at the back - unsightly, inelegant, and an accumulation point for road crud. More persnickety crank manufacturers like Specialites T.A. and Campagnolo plugged the empty space with an aluminum insert. Later, when aluminum cranks were displacing steel cranks in the peleton, pedal axle stubs got longer to provide more contact with the full pedal eye. For non-blinded arms, this just meant the axle stub filled the full depth of the pedal eye; for blinded holes, tightening the longer axle stub into the hole pushed the plug out of the back of the crankarm.

Here's another point: Not only did TA include pedal washers with their cranks, but on their pre-80s cranksets, they machined (or cast?) insets specifically to fit those pedal washers. Regardez:

Personally, I use pedal washers on every alloy crankset I mount, and I used them on the one carbon crankset I owned for about five minutes fifteen years ago. Why not? They only cost a couple bucks a set, and they may help to prevent/postpone a potential traumatic accident-causing breakage.

(and yes, I use French threaded cranks+pedals on most of my bikes, with generic 9/16" pedal washers I mostly grab up at Rivendell headquarters on my many journeys through nearby Walnut Creek; the size difference is too trivial for me to notice. Frankly, until I read this thread, I never even considered that there might be different sizes of pedal washers)

Peter in Berkeley
Likes For eaglerock:
Old 02-14-23, 10:26 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Maybe so, but Campagnolo stopped including pedal taps in the "complete" tool box in the 70s. I bought mine in '85 and had to buy VAR taps separately. Here's the toolkit contents as shown in Catalog 18: Campagnolo did continue to offer pedals taps in their "Special Tools section, but not included in the boxed kits:
NOT French like the OP, but the last couple of times I installed new (spd) pedals in existing Campagnolo cranks, they were eye-poppingly tight to install. I am a couple of hours away from the next install; I tried test-fitting by fingers, and again tight. And I happen to have a set of generic (not Brev. Camp.) pedal taps. I do not want to remove too much metal -- these are taps, not thread-chasers -- but is this a normal 'thing' to run a tap through on Campy cranks?

Old 02-14-23, 10:46 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
NOT French like the OP, but the last couple of times I installed new (spd) pedals in existing Campagnolo cranks, they were eye-poppingly tight to install. I am a couple of hours away from the next install; I tried test-fitting by fingers, and again tight. And I happen to have a set of generic (not Brev. Camp.) pedal taps. I do not want to remove too much metal -- these are taps, not thread-chasers -- but is this a normal 'thing' to run a tap through on Campy cranks?
Italian standard thread form uses 55 degrees; ISO is 60.
Old 02-14-23, 04:05 PM
tiger1964 

So, as I understand that, the diameter and TPI are the same, the threat profile is steeper on ISO than Italian? That implies:
(a) Thus why I have quite a bit of resistance putting SPD pedals on a Campy crank (and I presume this is Campy used on an Italian or an English bike? My Sutherland's manual says "English and Italian pedals are interchangeable"). and
(b) I'll guess that the tap set I have had the ordering description "9/16-20 Right & Left Hand Thread Tap HSS 9/16'' - 20 TPI for Bike Crank Repair" with no detail, AND the SPD pedals are both ISO, so a "good fit" with each other?
(c) And, finally, if I tap them out with what I have, that should work but it could be problematic to go back to Campy pedals?

Old 02-14-23, 04:33 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
That makes a lot of sense, but...

Anyway, not only all the bikes I've owned over the years, but the years I worked in bikes shops while in college... never saw them. Perhaps a more recent invention?
Been around a long time. I've seen people post that they use them religiously but I rarely seem them.
Old 02-24-23, 03:12 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by Roypercy
I'm putting the finishing touches on a bike with a Spidel crankset threaded for French pedals.
I wanted to apologize to the OP for any topic drift.

When using washers for this kind of situation, the orientation almost always matters. Most washers are stamped. One side will have rounded edges, the other sharp ones. Place the washer so the sharp edges face outward, not against the aluminium surface.
I almost 100% would have gotten that backwards!

Well, I just tapped my Campy cranks out, yeah it took a little metal out but really fine. SPD pedals went in like velvet, and then just when I got finger-tight I realized I had left out the washers! All is well now and I have several pairs of washers now for future projects.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 02-25-23, 10:46 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by romperrr
I've never heard of pedal washers on any bike. Is this a common practice?
My Zeus crankset has them. (Seller gave me a note warning he had very hard time finding them, finally locating some with a pair of dust caps at great expense) I'm not that fanatical on originality and wouldn't hesitate to use 9/16" washers, but took great care to not lose these when overhauling the bike. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 02-25-23 at 10:58 AM. Reason: add pic