Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just got this Peugeot and have no idea what I've done

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just got this Peugeot and have no idea what I've done

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-21, 01:52 PM
Ayeobe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for the link, though i am really wanting some white or gum/amber wall tires. If it were a diffrent frame i'd love some black walls.

I barely road around the block today and my legs were screaming, so im thinking its break time... hopefully ill be able to get back out there maybe Tuesday?

Guys, i did a thing....

Old 05-03-21, 06:29 PM
Ayeobe

guys help me fight off the urges... i just found the holy grail.
seemingly untouched fully decked out with lights and fenders Mixte... if nobody stops me, im going for it...

PS: How much would you pay for this if you had to have it? heh
Old 05-05-21, 06:25 AM
ellei.oh

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I recently acquired an 'in pieces' 1975 Peugeot UE-18 Mixte as part of a CL buy for something else. Although it's not in the best shape would definitely need some love put into it, it introduced me to the Mixte style bikes and I am just in love. I just love the lines and I have to say your bikes and your finds are making me a little jealous. I wish I had half the options that you have! I will definitely be checking back on this thread as I have to know what happens with that holy grail Mixte - it's beautiful.
Old 05-07-21, 07:19 PM
Ayeobe

Hey i appreciate your comment and im happy you're joining the fold of Mixte Appreciation Society.

I missed out because i have a tiny car and ive only cheated my way into getting bikes in by taking off the front wheels... the fender would have made that not an option.
Tomorrow, im going to pick up roof bike racks, and maybe next week-end im going to pick up a roofrack specific to my vintage Honda, so i wont let this happen again!

I'm sure ill get another chance to find that holy grail. Hopefully with the frame pump! that one did not have one.

In other news, my red Mixte is coming along nicely! it's a contender in the Clunker 100 challenge... i have more faith in the bike doing 100km or miles than me doing them but...
Today, i replaced the Derailleur, 15$
put a tire on: also 15$
picked up fenders i hope to use for it, also 15$
That puts me at 70$ of installed parts Canadian, so 57USD
and tomorrow im going to pick up what looks to be a Peugeot rear wheel from a more recent model, 20$, but it will allow me to bring the original rear wheel to get fixed..its kind of not good.

PICS.

this thing is all sorts of messed up... ill try to save it but im not sure i even should

before photo of the wheel..

progress.

It's like a whole new bike?!?

Handle bars cleaned up miiint, and that's a used but much less likely to kill me tire. the old tire was so bad it actually fell appart when i tried to remove it..

That back rack puts the bike over budget (i think) but i wanted to see what it looked like.. nothing is actually installed yet.
Old 05-07-21, 08:02 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 489 Posts
Very nice bikes and a nice job you're doing on a budget. I think you need to change your forum name to Peugeotman!
Old 05-08-21, 06:21 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Very nice bikes and a nice job you're doing on a budget. I think you need to change your forum name to Peugeotman!
Much like the "Crazy Cat Lady Starter Kit," I picked up three Peugeots yesterday. So I now own four Peugeots. How did I end up with so many French bikes? What does that make me?
Old 05-08-21, 09:24 AM
ellei.oh

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That red mixte looks great! Great finds on the replacement pieces. If you don't mind sharing, where did you get the replacement derailleur? I just looked at mine and I'm going to replace mine as well. Thanks!
Old 05-10-21, 09:05 PM
Ayeobe

so far i have gotten everything locally, there are a few people selling some vintage bike stuff for cheap.. ive been trying to find, buy, and sell recently. so far, i have only bought..

I'm trying to find frame pumps, now. Both bikes have the braze on brackets, so clearly i need at least one.. i found some nice ones on the rainforest webside, but i have yet to see if i can actually use one. still have to measure the distance..
it's getting kind of draining to search all the time for deals, and also so many things slipped through the cracks (like that white beauty) that its kind of disheartening but its part of the challenge.

I really need to get the wheel on the red one dealt with, and then ill likely end up riding it to work. i need to get the miles on, i need to quality for the clunker 100!

Anyway i've been pretty lucky with parts, for sure.. hopefully that luck holds, because i'd like to make it into a bit of a side deal, where i can buy, restore and sell nice vintage bikes.
The issue is my default is just buy and keep..
Old 05-18-21, 06:43 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayeobe
I'm trying to find frame pumps, now. Both bikes have the braze on brackets, so clearly i need at least one.. i found some nice ones on the rainforest webside, but i have yet to see if i can actually use one. still have to measure the distance..
Are you still interested in frame pumps? I have one from the PA10 of the three Peugeots I picked up, although it seems inoperable. Maybe useful for parts, etc.? PM me if interested...
Old 05-23-23, 09:49 PM
Ayeobe

I vanished. But im back!

Please enjoy this single photo. Theres a reason i got off my butt and put the bike rack on the car, red Mixte is a test run.
Likes For Ayeobe:
Old 05-24-23, 10:52 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
...on top of a classic (or is it vintage? or just old?) Honda, dig the pop-up headlights.
Old 05-24-23, 06:40 PM
Ayeobe

Sneak peek of why i put my bike rack on the car and tested it.. this is going to be on my roof ASAP, a friend picked it up for me in Ottawa.
Also, it looks like it's the same as the red one i have, but the pedals and front sproket assembly look quite a bit more modern.. do those look like a repair, or are they actually some sort of late-70s Peugeot original equipment? My gut says they're replacement units..
Old 05-24-23, 08:44 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 119 Posts
I vanished. But im back!
Hopefully you spent the time riding.
Old 05-24-23, 09:11 PM
Ayeobe

Originally Posted by tgot
Hopefully you spent the time riding.
Among other things, but yea some riding was had! Been working at a garage though so im pretty tired. Still ride around and go places by bike, but the new Mixte will help. Fenders! lol.
Old 05-25-23, 01:56 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
...on top of a classic (or is it vintage? or just old?) Honda, dig the pop-up headlights.
For motorcars "vintage" is usually taken as meaning a manufacture date of up to 1930.
"Classic" is used to mean "I'm asking extra for this old banger because it's OLD"
Old 05-25-23, 06:06 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Don't feel bad. You're not alone with no 27 inch tires to be found where you are.

Wal-Mart Canada and Canadian Tire no longer list them on websites. My son works at CT and was told they were no longer ordering 27 inch tires. I personally can't find any 27s for sale here. You might watch for sales in USA or UK and order 4 so you have spares for the future.

Alternatively you could consider 700c rims and switch over..
I would look for Panaracer Pasela Protite in 27 x 1 ¼ inch, without hook-bead rims. Since the rims are original, these tires in their wire-bead version should fit perfectly. For the moment you just need good tires/tubes, not new rims, so I would not seek out 700c at this time, with the different tires they will require. One thing to consider is that steel rims are worse than aluminum (aka “alloy”) when braking in the rain. But if you remain in good control now, probably you do not need that upgrade urgently. In old bikes, even great designs in excellent condition, upgrading can snowball into an expensive and complex set of actions.

Last edited by Road Fan; 05-25-23 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-25-23, 06:55 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
I vanished. But im back!

Please enjoy this single photo. Theres a reason i got off my butt and put the bike rack on the car, red Mixte is a test run.
We bought an Accord like that when my wife was pregnant with our first kid. After we had the third kid, it was like playing Tetris to get all the car seats buckled in. They had to be in a specific order and location. If not for that, she loved the car and would have kept it for many more years.
Old 05-25-23, 07:30 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
For motorcars "vintage" is usually taken as meaning a manufacture date of up to 1930.
"Classic" is used to mean "I'm asking extra for this old banger because it's OLD"
So in a few years, "antique" (100 years) and "vintage" will mean the same thing, I guess. And after that, "vintage" will be older than "antique". Interesting that the year is fixed, regardless of the passage of time.
Old 05-25-23, 07:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
omg that mixte on top of that ole accord. love it.
Old 06-05-23, 06:18 AM
Ayeobe

I got me a new mixte! Please enjoy this one photo while i wait to upload more when im home..

This has a certain look i cant get enough of
Likes For Ayeobe:
Old 06-09-23, 07:08 PM
Ayeobe

OK!! i hope this is not too many photos. I need tires. I found them, dont worry. The handle bars, though, have play forward and back.. and obviously they're very tall, i think they gotta go down some for safety.

Also, the wheels DONT seem to have a year stamped in them, but they are Made in France and they look very original.
Stamped 1623156
Is this pedal assembly original?
What do you guys think? is this actually all original or did someone save parts from another bike? Also, is this a PX18?

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/29637585

Photos are not showing up, for some reason, so heres a link to the whole album...

Last edited by Ayeobe; 06-09-23 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Photo issues
Old 06-09-23, 07:39 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I think that is a UE-18; maybe around 1974-76? And no I don’t think those cranks are original; from what I can tell they should have been cottered in that era; cotterless came later with different decals etc.

Last edited by markk900; 06-09-23 at 07:44 PM.