Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Fastback Carbon Road Bike on sale. Good deal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Schwinn Fastback Carbon Road Bike on sale. Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 06:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's unfortunate that you view Sora and Tiagra to be bottom end and not even worthy of being considered entry level.
Both are extremely reliable and popular for those who are looking for a bike thst is closer to the entry level price point.

We all have emotion based biases about something though.
Sora, Claris and Tourney yes either at or closer to the bottom but Tiagra no.
Old 10-13-23, 08:24 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah. I don't see it either. Thanks for pointing out my error.

I probably leapt to a wrong conclusion after reading about a couple being sent back due to mishandling during shipping but this bike definitely says "used-very good condition."

"First of all make sure you inspect the shipping box and bike itself diligently. I had to send back the first 2 I got for various reasons that made them unacceptable and they were all likely due to the shipping and the terrible boxes they come in (bent dropouts on carbon fork, faulty shifter, etc)." I figured this was the same bike, refurbished, but there is no evidence to support that.

I was wrong. Thanks for catching that.
The funny thing about amazon warehouse deals is that they're all described as used but that has no meaning other than the packaging has been opened or damaged sufficiently to be considered open. I bought a Park single arm pro shop stand that was listed as one of their low grades of used for just under 200.00, I figured the whole thing is a giant chunk of welded up steel so how bad could it be. The box was trashed but the stand was pristine and from the internal packaging had never even been opened. Big and bulky or heavy seem to get more box damage resulting in warehouse listings. I've also had things show up that were so clearly used they shouldn't have been relisted in the warehouse. That's the gamble though.
Old 10-14-23, 09:39 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
My kids had Walmart and Target BSO's growing up. The group sets were Shimano, and likely the cheapest possible Shimano. I never had any issue with them that bending the hanger or adjusting the DR wouldn't fix. Oh, and spraying lots of lube in the FW's since they left them out in the yard in the rain instead of putting them back where they belonged. This idea that a inexpensive groups are junk is getting old and tiresome. IMO, probably people think this because they used those groups BITD when they were still little kids that abused bicycles and weren't good at DIY yet.
That's something I thought about a lot. When I was a bike mechanic, the lower end components were more difficult to work on and adjust, so I just decided that they sucked. It didn't occur to me until much later that those bikes are less likely to be meticulously maintained or stored in kinder environments. I also didn't consider the fact that they were probably assembled in a big box store by someone who doesn't work exclusively with bicycles. Later experience similar to yours made me realize the stuff worked fine, maybe a tad less smoothly and definitely heavier.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
The funny thing about amazon warehouse deals is that they're all described as used but that has no meaning other than the packaging has been opened or damaged sufficiently to be considered open.
They sometimes put details under the exact item regarding its condition and reason. Still a gamble though. I ordered a duffle bag that was a return in as new condition. The problem is it wasn't the right product (was a smaller size valued at about half as much), and I'm wondering if that's why it was returned in the first place. Still, a short trip to Whole Foods took care of that.