Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Did your single-speed miles make you stronger on all of your bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Did your single-speed miles make you stronger on all of your bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-23, 07:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Been riding MTB since the 90s.I rotated SS into my MTB lineup for a few years in the late 2000’s.

I don’t think it improved my fitness overall, but it improved some of my riding skills.

Same is true of my periodic return to rigid bikes and flat pedals.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-16-23, 11:56 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I was going to ask if he was a C.R.C. of A. guy but then did a search. Wow! One of the few guys still around in the '60's who had been a record-setter 30 years earlier. (Don't know how I remembered he was associated with the Century Road Club.)
Great guy, he single handedly ran the club (CRCA) until he was no longer able to, and then it took a bunch of folks and committies to fill his shoes. I switched to Kissena after his passing.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 10-17-23, 04:32 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
Novel idea -

Just keep your traditional geared bike in one gear for the ride... use different single gears for different rides. Work on all aspects of your pedal stroke - grinding, spinning, whatever... then shift gears like a normal human being when you are tired of all of that nonsense!!
Likes For Jughed:
Old 10-17-23, 06:47 AM
88ss

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Another advantage of the simple single-speed bike is it's simplicity. I am not talking about the reliability, but the simplicity of operation. Kids generally grow up with single-speed bicycles, not to mention the BMX that has a huge following. So one of the things I was looking for in single-speed riding was a return to the simplicity of youth. If you think about a coaster-braked bicycle then you are talking about a cycle with only two controls, the pedals for power and braking, and the bars for steering. I have seen a lot of cyclists who are young or not experienced riding around on multi-speed bikes and not using any of the gears properly on the flat or going up hills. If you have a single speed, fixie or otherwise that is geared to work well on the hills in your area, and you are not worried about setting any speed records and just traveling at your own relaxed pace, a single-speed bike could give a unique and simple cycling experience. Also nothing is more pure in looks than a single-speed coaster-braked bicycle without all the gearing, cables, derailleurs and brakes hanging on it.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-17-23, 07:16 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I briefly commuted on a single speed a few years ago and noticed I was using harder gears on my multi speed bikes after about three months.

sort of related; this past Sunday the wife took the kids and bikes to their school at the bottom of a big hill in our neighborhood to ride in the parking lot, so I hopped on my early 90s Schwinn BMX to join them. The ride back up the hill (130' up in 1/2 mile) was interesting. I paper-boyed it! haha I was thankful to be able to do it at 59 years old.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-17-23, 08:48 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
Last year I picked up a single-speed road-style bike locally used and cheap, this year I put 1800 miles on it using 44/15 gearing. No way for me to objectively judge, but my strong feeling is that it made me an all-around stronger and faster rider for the miles I was on a regular road or mountain bike, anyone else have a similar experience with their single and multi-speed bikes? I think it taught me how to spin better and faster, got me used to using my legs to accelerate a bike so shifting is less necessary, and the extra grunt work seems to have made me stronger than in recent years where I just rode multi-speed bikes. Some love single-speeds, some won't ride without a few dozen speeds at their fingertips, but I have learned to respect them both. None of the other old guys I ride with has one and they don't want one.
Yes I am a much above average climber.

The reason is simple and its not imaginary; a coach explained to me and showed me evidence that riding a single speed bike over time even if its not all your rides converts your fast twitch or type 2 muscles from anaerobic (poor endurance, sprint only) to aerobic metabolism increasing their mitochondrial density because you use them so much. So basically riding a single speed helps you sprint harder faster longer.

I have a 34/17 Salsa Stormchaser I absolutely love. Very simple, great city, family, bike path or commuter bike. I bought it to ride in rain to put away wet after riding hard. I clean it and oil the drivetrain maybe once a year original chain lasted me 2,500 miles and its not bad on hills as long as I am not dealing with monster climbs of excess length. But hills up to 7-8% up to 1/4 mile or say 4-6% at 1/2 a mile or less no problem can do that all day because that's the area I live.
Likes For Attilio:
Old 10-17-23, 12:59 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
i been singling/fixing all my life cause derailleurs were too complicated for my tool set and i consider myself stronger for it ....................................................but if you"ve read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" you'll probably think I'm much weaker for it
Old 10-17-23, 07:42 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
I briefly commuted on a single speed a few years ago and noticed I was using harder gears on my multi speed bikes after about three months.

sort of related; this past Sunday the wife took the kids and bikes to their school at the bottom of a big hill in our neighborhood to ride in the parking lot, so I hopped on my early 90s Schwinn BMX to join them. The ride back up the hill (130' up in 1/2 mile) was interesting. I paper-boyed it! haha I was thankful to be able to do it at 59 years old.
Is it a Schwinn "superstock" ?
Old 10-17-23, 07:45 PM
88ss

Today I finished getting a fixie put together from an old Nishiki ten-speed frame in my size a friend gave me a year or two ago. So I am looking forward to having fun with it, will take some photos of it and put them up soon.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-18-23, 08:22 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
Is it a Schwinn "superstock" ?
I'm no expert on BMX bikes, but it appears to be a low end model I think. It's a chrome steel wheel coaster brake called a Phantom. I did a patina preservation on it. The biggest challenge was the potato chip rear wheel. Looked like it was run over by a car.

prior to being fixed:

after:

thanks for asking. Apology to others for the highjack.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-18-23, 07:31 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

There is something else ss gave me.

Better balance.
It gave me the opportunity to do what I wouldn't put any rear derailleur through.
It gave me the knowledge that cold is about clothing and mind over matter.

It gave me the confidence that I can in any weather.

(I obviously geared down for winter) that was a 46t

Ps, I wouldn't advice clipless in snow to anyone else, but I wouldn't change it either!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 10-19-23, 03:44 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by Metieval
There is something else ss gave me.Better balance.It gave me the opportunity to do what I wouldn't put any rear derailleur through.It gave me the knowledge that cold is about clothing and mind over matter.It gave me the confidence that I can in any weather.(I obviously geared down for winter) that was a 46t
Ps, I wouldn't advice clipless in snow to anyone else, but I wouldn't change it either!
Thanks, all great points and observations. I picked up some front/rear fenders to put on my single-speed for this coming winter, also a rear package rack too......