Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fear of Biking

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-21, 07:14 PM
Pokegama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fear of Biking

I have been a lover of bike riding since I was 6 (Im now 68) I have logged miles and miles. In 2018 I had 3 cervical (7-disks) fusions. I hopped back on my bike after regaining my balance. ( I had to relearn how to walk and grasp with my hands) A year ago, my Lumbar started to shift and I had trouble with my balance, again, and had to stop biking, thus Lumbar (5-disk) fusion last fall. I bought a 7 speed trike-but it is hard to ride and not the same. I hope to get on my bike again, but I have developed a fear of biking. Im looking for advice on how to over come this fear and learn how to ride again (like a little kid I guess)-at most, or learn how to get used to riding the trike at least. Thanks so much!
Old 04-23-21, 07:31 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I would avoid riding on public roads. Try to find a wide, flat and uncrowded bike path and build up your confidence.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-23-21, 07:32 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
A couple of things. First is that people tend to see all fear as irrational. That if they're afraid of something, it's because their monkey brain is all messed up and they just need to go for it.

It sounds like, physically, you've been through some stuff and may not be operating at 100% capability. I would first ask whether this fear is a perfectly justified signal from your body that maybe you're not as in control of your bike as you once were. If this is the case, it might be safer for you to stick to a trike, and of course, there is nothing wrong with that. You're miles ahead of people who choose to sit on the couch.

If you can honestly say that you are perfectly capable of riding a bike, then I would recommend finding a bike with cruiser geometry that keeps your butt low and back. This allows your feet to easily reach the ground while seated and lowers your CoM, reducing the severity of fall injury. I believe it also reduces the potential for going over the bars when braking. Cruisers also tend to be more stable.

What kind of bike do you have right now?
Likes For smashndash:
Old 04-23-21, 07:49 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I don't know. Those fears sound totally rational to me.

I broke my ankle rather severely a few years ago. I turned 50 on crutches. It had nothing to do with biking, but it forever changed my ability to bike. I am rather more cautious now. Low gearing and disc brakes on a custom bike was my way of addressing this.

Is the trike upright? You might prefer a recumbent trike, especially if balance continues to be an issue. My son has a friend who had a stroke that impairs his balance. The recumbent trike is an almost magical means to liberation.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-23-21, 08:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If, more likely when, I have balance issues, I’ll probably look for a lightweight e-assist recumbent trike.

I would more fearful of cornering on a standard 2 rear wheel trike than riding a bike.

John
Old 04-24-21, 08:37 AM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
I'm 68 y/o and while I don't suffer with serious back issue as you, I know that my balance skills are not what they use to be. Your fear is rational.

Old 04-24-21, 08:52 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Add some Good Strobe Lights for Day and Night Safety

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 04-24-21, 09:05 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

SIX Lights

Old 04-24-21, 09:10 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
If you haven't tried a recumbent trike, I would see if you can find a place that would let you test ride.

I met a guy on the road a year or so ago who was in a similar situation. He had been a serious cyclist/tourer but back problems made it impossible to ride a road bike or any upright bike. When I came across him he was doing hill repeats on his trike getting in shape to do a San Francisco to L.A. ride. He said the trike was a blast and he was enjoying cycling as much as ever.

I hope you find something that will allow you to keep cycling but don't discount the fear as just something to overcome.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 04-24-21, 09:18 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
You don't say what sort of trike that you have. I'm guessing that it's an upright delta (1 wheel in front and 2 in back). As others have suggested, you should try out a "tadpole" recumbent trike. These have double wheels in front and are more stable. They are on the expensive side but perhaps you can find a shop to work with you. I recommend browsing BentRider Online for additional insight.
Old 04-24-21, 09:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I'm expecting that the day will come that I too am a little wobbly on and off a bike. I figure at that time I'll be looking for a recumbent trike.

Hope I can get enough crap out of my garage by that time so I'll have a place to store it. Might just have to build another garage! <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-24-21, 11:26 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Since you asked how to overcome your fear, the first question is what will be the impact to your back if you fall/low speed crash on your bike? If your doctor says it could be catastrophic and impact even a basic quality of life, then your fears are well founded and overcoming them may not be the prudent thing to do. Look for a recumbent trike and go have fun. But if your doctor has told you not to worry about riding and that a fall or low speed crash won't be any more of an issue for you than anyone else, you "might" be able to overcome your balance issues/fears.

A few years ago I was at the gym and I saw an older woman balancing on the hard platform side of a Bosu ball on one foot and extending the other leg while using weights in her hands. Very impressive. I talked to her, not that I would ever attempt what she was doing, but she said it really helped her with her balance especially as she is getting older. I use one in a doorway at home, so I can catch myself and not fall (and use both feet), to help me continue to surf. I'm just starting to use it again in hopes of getting back in the water after more than a year and a half. At 69 we'll see how that goes, but I feel it helps with my balance regardless.

Maybe have a couple people spot you and try to track stand. I've never tried to track stand, and can't give you any advice, but if you can control your balance while standing still it might go a long ways to give you balance confidence when you are riding.

John
Old 04-24-21, 11:29 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I started riding again last summer/fall after about 10 years off. When I started, I was spooked for a while and rode mainly back streets, but after a while I started slowly getting desensitized and rode in progressively more traffic. After a month or so, I was back to riding to my shop downtown (Chicago Loop) straight down State Street (That Great Street). It didn't hurt that at that time there was hardly any traffic anywhere, but as it's come back I've been OK with it.

I don't think you should count on the way you feel the first few times out will be the way you will feel forever.

What still freaks me out, but it did before, is riding on multiple use paths where I have to deal with bikers and pedestrians who are totally clueless and inattentive and can do virtually anything at any moment, and I still won't go there. At least on the roads the drivers around here are scared of bikes and try to keep their distance, for the most part. Walkers don't give a second thought to suddenly doing a hard left without a glance behind them across a busy path to look at some shiny thing, and THAT is scary when you're ten feet behind and closing when they take off on their quest!

Last edited by mdarnton; 04-24-21 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-24-21, 01:02 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Will your doc give you a prescription for physical therapy to improve your balance?
Old 04-25-21, 08:23 AM
Shay Howe 
2 speed- slow and slower

Bikes: Gravity X-Rod 8

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
I don't think you should count on the way you feel the first few times out will be the way you will feel forever.
Decidedly not. I'm waiting on a shorter seatpost after a first spin around the block following a 30+ year hiatus, and if I went by that "first time out" feel I'd have a brand new bike for sale rather than new parts ordered. But balance in my case seemed to improve within minutes although I'm still going to need to be cautious until I get a few more miles of practice in. Getting the seat down to where I can stop without rolling over sideways (which was the end of my first and only ride so far) is the current priority and I'll go from there. Thus far every doctor I'm seeing is on board with the idea, assuming of course reasonable precautions.
Old 04-28-21, 03:57 PM
Gr33n_@pproach

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
I would avoid riding on public roads. Try to find a wide, flat and uncrowded bike path and build up your confidence.
I would definitely avoid it as well. I'm actually so scared of this pandemic that I'm aware I won't be able to ride as I used to until things are back to normal.
Old 04-29-21, 06:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Try sailing.
Old 04-29-21, 07:47 PM
Ayeobe

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Just hopped on the bike for the first time in 10+ years and i had a bit of a moment of fear ... but it sounds to me, as others have said, that your fear may be far more rational than mine was.

Even still, i hope you get back out there comfortably soon
Old 04-29-21, 11:42 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
If your doc and PT okay it, you might benefit from some conditioning time on an airdyne type stationary bike (involving both arms and legs) and/or a rowing machine if your spine issues don’t rule it out. These two machines and step-ups brought me back at the age of 60 after a bad motorcycle wreck that resulted in a full open book pelvic fracture with other injuries involving my lower lumbar spine, a collapsed lung, ruptured bladder, and associated MRSA infection from 5 surgeries and the prolonged hospital stay. The bosu ball is a good suggestion too, but the ol’ airdyne is still an awesome piece of exercise equipment and was a good and safe way for me to regain some muscle memory before getting back out on the road.
Good luck!
Old 04-30-21, 10:52 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Try sailing.
A small racing sailboat and a bad back is a recipe for disaster.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-30-21, 11:20 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
If you can afford it maybe look at a electric trike/recumbent? If cycling was a social activity for you and some of the problem is keeping up this might be the solution. Otherwise maybe doing Yoga or Taichi may help improve your balance?
Old 04-30-21, 12:13 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I too have been making changes to my ride, ridding style, and route. It's what I have to do in order to ride. I am pretty sure after my next fall I'll be grounded. I almost fear that more than an injury, so I am extra careful.

My friend recovering from a stroke fixed up a used WalMart three wheeler. He changed out allot of things on it over the months and had a good time doing it as he regained his balance. He replaced the crank, freewheel, and rebuilt the wheels. He also made major changes to his seat type and bars. Main thing is he had a real fun time doing it and I am sure it too was a good part of his recovery. He is now on a comfortable Hybrid two wheeler.

So what I am saying here is to adapt and overcome. As we get older it's a must...
Old 04-30-21, 01:42 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
SIX Lights
Is that an air horn?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-30-21, 02:35 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Is that an air horn?
RED> Friendly Horn
Blue > Marine Air Horn for Protection from Dogs

Old 04-30-21, 02:41 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

You are on your Own when this is YOU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.