Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Self driving cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 06:44 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Self driving cars

Do any of you who live in dystopian technocratic hellscapes encounter self driving cars regularly? The self driving cars at my work called Zoox have been acting wild lately, not slowing down for people. I was limit testing one today and went into its lane and it didn’t even slow down to avoid the head on. I just got a call from the head of security asking wtf I was doing, apparently the Zoox people decided to report it. Hopefully they deal with the problem instead of just whining that cyclists shouldn’t be riding towards them in their lane, cause I’m not allowed to test them anymore.

I heard Waymo is exploding in San Francisco.
Old 10-12-23, 07:00 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Well the answer of course is the development of self driving bikes 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 10-12-23, 07:20 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Who else do we know that will play chicken with an autonomous vehicle? Sure going to miss your sharp banter here Larry.

Edit-I'm going for a night ride tonight since I didn't have time during daylight. Thought I'd wear my all black rain gear and no lights=It's called being incognito Larry, you should try it some time, might speed things up for you.

Last edited by SpedFast; 10-12-23 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-12-23, 07:49 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
You are just collateral damage. We have seen the problems in testing with a person sitting at the wheel. Insurance companies have already stated they want no liability. I personally don't like the idea of sharing a lane with one of them. On the other hand, I believe there is going to be a market for high powered portable EMPs.
Likes For Rick:
Old 10-12-23, 09:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
@LarrySellerz has a rep even among the drivers of cars with no drivers .....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-12-23, 09:55 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Great post as usual Larry, keep up the good work.

As autonomous cars continue to develop I expect that most cyclists will soon trust them more than we trust human drivers. No concerns with inattention and I do believe that self-driving technology will produce a decrease in accidents of all sorts once the technology matures. Going to take a while to get there, though. The video labeled "TeleGuidance" on Zoox's page (» The ‘full-stack’ behind autonomous driving (zoox.com)) talks positively about how their human operators can assist the car, but then shows the car passing a stopped box truck by crossing a double yellow without a lot of room to spare, causing a car coming the opposite direction to swerve into the bike lane.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 10-12-23, 10:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Larry never disappoints, dystopian hellscapes and what have you.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-12-23, 10:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Deranged local man "tests" head-on collision with a self driving car. Story at 11.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-12-23, 10:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I was limit testing one today and went into its lane and it didn’t even slow down to avoid the head on.
I wouldn't slow down either -- sounds like it's working properly.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-12-23, 10:56 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rsbob
Larry never disappoints, dystopian hellscapes and what have you.
Funny thing, "Dystopian Hellscape" is the name of our subdivision. We originally wanted to buy a house in "Dystopian Technocratic Hellscape", but it was more expensive and the lots were too small.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-12-23, 11:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts

...I have read about some complaints by SF fire and EMS, about their cars blocking emergency responses. But this is the first I've heard about their cars exploding.
Old 10-13-23, 12:06 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb

The video labeled "TeleGuidance" on Zoox's page (» The ‘full-stack’ behind autonomous driving (zoox.com)) talks positively about how their human operators can assist the car, but then shows the car passing a stopped box truck by crossing a double yellow without a lot of room to spare, causing a car coming the opposite direction to swerve into the bike lane.
Bit of backstory. Zoox is a Bezos special that’s bled billions of venture capital blood money, and now sucks on the governments teat using our campus to drive in circles and posture to the other self driving car companies.

it has been decided that autonomous vehicles are the future, and some believe they will be rolled out when the time comes even if the technology isn’t mature and the legal framework unable to handle them. Cyclists in Silicon Valley will be the beta testers and bear the burden of progress.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 10-13-23, 02:38 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I believe the ultimate goal of science is to get the human race to a place where they don't have to go outside or perform any type of physical activity or use their brain and their human senses and emotions. Just let robots and AI do everything...So yeah I don't support self-driving car's and I also don't support EVs.
Old 10-13-23, 02:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I believe the ultimate goal of science is to get the human race to a place where they don't have to go outside or perform any type of physical activity or use their brain and their human senses and emotions. Just let robots and AI do everything...So yeah I don't support self-driving car's and I also don't support EVs.
You have some strange beliefs. Maybe you should get out more?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-13-23, 03:39 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Do any of you who live in dystopian technocratic hellscapes encounter self driving cars regularly? The self driving cars at my work called Zoox have been acting wild lately, not slowing down for people. I was limit testing one today and went into its lane and it didn’t even slow down to avoid the head on. I just got a call from the head of security asking wtf I was doing, apparently the Zoox people decided to report it. Hopefully they deal with the problem instead of just whining that cyclists shouldn’t be riding towards them in their lane, cause I’m not allowed to test them anymore.

I live in one of the neighborhoods where waymo and cruise have been testing full driverless for a long time. I have ridden past / around / behind / crossed hundreds of them. they drive far better than the average or worst human drivers in my experience. they used to be very timid at four way stops, but at some point quite a while ago seem to have figured it out.

while I definitely take liberties with traffic laws while riding if I’m certain it’s not inconveniencing anyone or putting myself at risk, I don’t tend to play chicken with cars. so I couldn’t say what a cruise or waymo would do. I’m pretty sure it would just stop.
Old 10-13-23, 07:32 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Funny thing, "Dystopian Hellscape" is the name of our subdivision.
That would also make a great name for a hardcore punk band.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-13-23, 08:50 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Wisteria, hysteria, potato, potatoe....
Old 10-13-23, 08:53 AM
tomato coupe

I believe the ultimate goal of science is to get the human race to a place where they I don't have to go outside or perform any type of physical activity or use their brain and their human senses and emotions. Just let robots and AI do everything...So yeah I don't support self-driving car's and I also don't support EVs.
Sounds like a worthwhile goal.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-13-23, 09:04 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Don't feed it.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 10-13-23, 09:19 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 173 Posts
"Exploding" an interesting choice of verbs but anyway, I do see them when I go there, Confess I don't know why they chose SF in particular to...uh...road test given it's famously complicated to get around but I suppose if they can work there, they can work most places.

We're in any case a long way from significant addition of autonomous cars to the fleet, no matter what Tesla might think. It's far more complicated than the tech bros first imagined. It's a tossup whether they'll be preferable to the median driver skillset, the bigger cars/trucks/SUVs become the worse the driving, is my observation.

My robot car challenge is to have an all-robot fleet meet at a suburban arterial four-way intersection, where each direction features a double left-turn, a dedicated right turn lane, and three straight lanes, with the signals out. Having experienced this myself, I found it horrifying guessing when it was okay to proceed, how will 40 Roombas handle it?.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 10-13-23, 10:42 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,647 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
"Exploding" an interesting choice of verbs but anyway, I do see them when I go there, Confess I don't know why they chose SF in particular to...uh...road test given it's famously complicated to get around but I suppose if they can work there, they can work most places.

We're in any case a long way from significant addition of autonomous cars to the fleet, no matter what Tesla might think. It's far more complicated than the tech bros first imagined. It's a tossup whether they'll be preferable to the median driver skillset, the bigger cars/trucks/SUVs become the worse the driving, is my observation.

My robot car challenge is to have an all-robot fleet meet at a suburban arterial four-way intersection, where each direction features a double left-turn, a dedicated right turn lane, and three straight lanes, with the signals out. Having experienced this myself, I found it horrifying guessing when it was okay to proceed, how will 40 Roombas handle it?.
If they are anything like my Roomba, they will slam into each other about three times, turn 45 degrees and get stuck under the back of the sofa.

Old 10-13-23, 10:43 AM
kap 7

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Hardrock XC

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe self-driving e-bikes are next
Old 10-13-23, 10:45 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D

Quite efficiently, I'm sure
Old 10-13-23, 11:06 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Makes a lot of sense. If we move away from gasoline our robot overlords will see that as a weakness and the takeover will begin. EVs are a sign of our ultimate and certain demise.
Old 10-13-23, 11:26 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
One of the companies (I think Waymo) started using them in a few limited 'zones' of the Los Angeles area. I think in the City of Santa Monica and the West Hollywood area. There was a story on one of the MSM new programs about them with a reporter taking one across its service area and it seem to work OK at stoplights, left turn intersections and stopping at the right location. So far I haven't heard anything more about them. None in my area, so no first hand experience, but with all the crazy distracted drivers I see daily I'd think a driverless car might work well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.