Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Huffy + Campagnolo Super Record = The Ultimate C&V Sacrilege build

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 06:23 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
It's somewhere in the radioactive part of the periodic table.

Ah, but to do that, I need...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W07LxUfxJRU

-Kurt

I mean, I've got a free Huffy for you, and you probably have plenty of Campagnolo that you could rob from some of your other bikes (the nicer, more grail-like, the better)...

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 05-18-23, 07:47 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by sbarner
It took great effort, but I disassembled the headset from the Huffy I dismembered in the woods to get some measurements. I should have recorded the screeching it made as I unscrewed the top race with a pipe wrench. Even with a liberal soaking with Kroil, I worked up a sweat, as this thing has been out in the weather for over 30 years. Nothing at all was round, partly due to manufacturing and partly due to extreme abuse in bike-chucking competition, so these are approximates:

Stem O.D.: 20.6 mm
Steerer O.D. (unthreaded): 25.4 mm
Fork Race: 25.8 mm
Head Cup: 33.9 mm
Stack Height: 35 mm

I checked with a Super Record top nut and it threaded on beautifully, though I swear it puked on my fingers.

The threaded portion has a slot for the toothed washer that goes all the way through.

Assuming the LeGrande has the same dimensions, the bike shop's headset milling tools are safe from this job. You have shimming, not trimming in your future. I don't know of any shims made for the fork race, so you might have to have one made. Should be a pretty easy job on a lathe. The head cups will also need to be shimmed, but this has already been noted. The stack height could be your biggest issue. The Super Record spec is 42.2 mm. The bike I measured had about 4 mm of spacers and 7 mm of threads inside the top nut. If yours has more spacers and/or more thread in the nut, you might have enough for it to work. You could also leave out the 4 mm spacer from the Campy headset. If you get an NOS Super Record headset, you could then sell the original spacer on fleaBay for at least twice the value of the LeGrande as you got it.

There was plenty of head tube that could be trimmed back to make up any more you might need. A few minutes with an angle grinder should get you where you need to be. Just take your time so you don't burn the paint too bad. If the cup shims have a lip, you'll need to take a bit more off. Since your bike has an alloy stem, it would be interesting to find out its diameter. If it's the same size as this bike, a replacement in aluminum is going to be a rare find. I wouldn't trust that the steel in that steerer would be strong enough to ream out to 22.2, which would be a tough job, at any rate. You could solve several problems by replacing the fork with a carbon or aluminum one, and this might help you fix what must be impressive wheel flop, but then it might not be in the spirit of the project.

Or you could just leave the headset alone and focus on the rest of the project. It's not like its going to make any difference.

Originally Posted by sbarner
I SO saw that coming...

IT WAS YOU!!!

I went back to find that post and I just had to quote it here to give you props. And you even had the prophetic line 'a few minutes with an angle grinder...' hahaha NAILED IT man! I love it!

The only deviation I have from your entire statement is that I do think it matters. Because many a squinty-eyed enthusiast will come up to the head tube, look reeeeaal close and mutter quietly to themselves something along the lines of 'Does that really say Campagnolo next to a Huffy logo??...'

Why, yes, yes it does! How astute of you to notice

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 05-18-23 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-18-23, 09:23 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 3,768 Times in 1,846 Posts

Sorry, my Photoshop game in not in the same league with Tiger's
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 05-18-23, 09:26 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I mean, I've got a free Huffy for you, and you probably have plenty of Campagnolo that you could rob from some of your other bikes (the nicer, more grail-like, the better)...
Let's put it this way: I know the source I'll pilfer from

-Kurt

Old 05-18-23, 11:37 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Let's put it this way: I know the source I'll pilfer from

-Kurt

You can have all the Huffy parts you want/need, but you'll have to take them off the Paramount first.

Old 05-18-23, 11:54 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
I am very glad that AMCO is sufficiently proficient with an angle grinder as well as having the inclination and tools to check his progress and final result. Because of his diligence and patience, he did not prevail upon anyone with actual precision framebuilding tools to do in twenty minutes what took him many hours to accomplish. The thought of professional tools such as Park or Cyclo being sullied by use on a Huffy would be frowned upon. Heaven forbid even considering having a Campy tool set within the same zip code much less being brought into direct contact with such a frame.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 05-18-23, 11:56 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Okay, update for the night.

I didn't want to go out to the garage and work on the Le Grande. I just wanted to stay in where it's nice and warm and eat Cracklin' Oat Bran. I did for a little but, but then breathed a sign of exasperation 'Yaaaay time to work on the Le Grande...yet again!'.

I think we got the FD cable guide mainly sorted. It took 10x as long as I thought it would, with way more effort than I ever thought I'd need to dish out. No wonder I'm always so tired these days!

I hadn't really run a cable in it yet, just sort of eyeballed it and figured it wouldn't work as is. I wasn't too wrong -

With about 1-2mm to spare between the cable and the seat tube, you can see we are off about 3/8" or more from the FD.

Making contact with the FD, we also make contact with the seat tube. No buenoissimo!

So I picked up this stainless steel tube to use as a guide extension, and I was a bit worried the ID might not work, so based on the dimensions and the steel gauge, I did a bunch of calculations and came to the conclusion that it should work.

Good news...it did!

So now it was time to get it in shape. For that, let's make a pattern!

Okay, so now we have our basic form. We will use this to bend the tube into the general shape to match the curve of the lower cable guide. Now, we work a lot in copper and anytime you are bending soft copper, you want it supported from either the inside or outside, so that when you bend it, it won't ovalize. I wanted to do both, and the first this was to fill the inside with something so that while bending, the tube couldn't pinch down on itself. I had the shift cable, but that wouldn't do much good, because if it pinched down onto that and then stopped, that is the size I need to run in there so I'd be stuck.

The next thing to try is brake cable, which is thicker. If it closed down on that, I'd still probably be left with enough tolerances inside the tube to pass a shift cable through it.

Would it work?

Actually, it did!

It filled up darn near all the inside of that tube, which was perfect. Since I also wanted to support the tube on the outside, I filed a little support channel down into my form-

And 'Bends Away!!!'

Lookin' good.

Old 05-19-23, 12:03 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Now, next up was fine tuning the length and the bends and seeing if we could actually get shifts out of this thing.

Well, that entering trajectory will not do!

Ahh...better!

It was looking good, so we cut to length, faced the cut end, and chamfered the entry and exit points -

So...will it shift???

Yes indeed!

Because just the tube resting in the slot and up against the frame is not very solid, we will need to secure it a little better. The tube is just a bit too large to ride up in the channel of the cable guide where the cable would normally rest. So we mark things up and prep for some epoxy -

Old 05-19-23, 12:21 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Tube is now secured onto the guide. It was then taped, left to cure about 30 min, and then the tape was removed and the marker lines all cleaned up. It is resting now for curing.

This is not the only way it will be secured. Earlier in the thread someone had posted a picture of a tool that they or their dad made with wraps of something, and some epoxy. We are going to do the same to a couple spots on this guy, to give it a more mechanical connection. I will probably use just a tiny bit of copper wire due to 1) bling and two 2) I can get some. Also, see that little tab on the bottom of the guide? On a normal (not ridiculous dumpster bike) that little tab likely rests up against the bottom bracket shell to space it correctly. On our bike, nothing spaces correctly, including this guide, so that little tab does nothing. It is feeling sad and depressed and left out. Well, no more! We will bend it up and use it for a mechanical connection for the bottom of the tube.

While this cable guide setup isn't necessarily ideal, neither is having a boat anchor as a frame in your bike project, so we are going to roll with it. It's got that nice little 'C-a-m-p-a-g-n-o-l-o' roll mark so it can still contribute a little bit of shock value. I'll live with it, for now. I could come up with some other solutions, but the brain power required would overload my circuits at this point. After the bike ride, I'll have more time to think about it. The addition of the tube gets us shifting, so as long as we secure it, we are good.

While I was at it, I thought I would clean up the clamp area, as it was bothering me how dirty it was. Well, this little adapter piece, which I had every intention of removing, basically melted into the paint haha, so it was going NOWHERE. Since I didn't want to scratch the paint getting it off or worse, rip up paint with it, I just decided to leave it on and work around it. While at first I thought it sucked, it actually will help me locate the right location again for the cable guide. I'm okay with it.

Cleaning the paint aroundit also kinda sucked, so an old toothbrush worked great with some polishing compound.

I actually cleaned up most of the bottom bracket and feathered the paint in where I touched it up from the brazing via wet sanding and polishing. What is really weird is the colors don't totally match down there now. I got it looking okay, but you can see the color transition if you look. I wonder if that is heat from the brazing that changed the slightly older paint a different shade (and by 'slightly older paint' I mean by a week). Oh well. I'll probably end up redoing the whole thing if I come up with a different cable guide solution.

I didn't get any more pictures of cleanup as my phone died, but I'm glad it is looking better. I need to pick up some goof off for some sticker residue. I feel like a zombie.

Time for bed!

Oh! One last thing! I got a notification that the last piece of my cycling gear arrived. No sneak peaks until ride day, but you are gonna like it. I didn't even know such things existed, really completes the whole ensemble.

Next up, either the brake adapter or the RD hanger.

EDIT: Oh, and if you can't tell, I definitely misplaced the Campy bolt and washer for the FD cable clamp. Hmmmmmm

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 05-19-23 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-19-23, 12:31 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by stoneageyosh
The thought of professional tools such as Park or Cyclo being sullied by use on a Huffy would be frowned upon.

Excellent. Say no more! Enough of a reason right there!

Eventually I would like to face the headtube just cause, and I'm curious to see how close I got.

Old 05-19-23, 05:29 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Okay, update for the night.

I didn't want to go out to the garage and work on the Le Grande. I just wanted to stay in where it's nice and warm and smoke Cracklin' Oat Bran...
fixed it for you.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 05-19-23, 12:25 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts
Excellent. Say no more! Enough of a reason right there!

Eventually I would like to face the headtube just cause, and I'm curious to see how close I got.
You could check the head tube races for squareness to the tube and parallel to each other if you really have to know. Reaming and facing does depend somewhat on how it is done, even with the best hand tools. Having seen even Campy facing, reaming and BB tools misused with resultant tool damage there is no guarantee of accurate results unless the user is properly trained. Don’t want to go off on a major rant here so, the end.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 05-19-23, 02:03 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by stoneageyosh
You could check the head tube races for squareness to the tube and parallel to each other if you really have to know. Reaming and facing does depend somewhat on how it is done, even with the best hand tools. Having seen even Campy facing, reaming and BB tools misused with resultant tool damage there is no guarantee of accurate results unless the user is properly trained. Don’t want to go off on a major rant here so, the end.

Good thing it won't happen any time soon, as I still haven't found anyone local willing to dirty their name on the project

Gonna try to work more on the RD hanger today. Tomorrow is a bit of a work day (not for the bike), so Sunday could be an option to jump back in the mud. I keep thinking that next weekend is the big weekend. It's not, but it is doing some good thinking like that, since it is keeping me on my toes.

Also going to try to cut down the seatube overhang since I need to get that seat lower by about 2 whole inches. Probably going to re-drill the seatpost as well. I will get a detail post on the seatpost probably sometime early next week.

Old 05-20-23, 10:23 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 221 Posts
[QUOTE=AdventureManCO;22894814]Okay, update for the night.

I didn't want to go out to the garage and work on the Le Grande. I just wanted to stay in where it's nice and warm and eat Cracklin' Oat Bran. I did for a little but, but then breathed a sign of exasperation 'Yaaaay time to work on the Le Grande...yet again!'.

I think we got the FD cable guide mainly sorted. It took 10x as long as I thought it would, with way more effort than I ever thought I'd need to dish out. No wonder I'm always so tired these days!

I hadn't really run a cable in it yet, just sort of eyeballed it and figured it wouldn't work as is. I wasn't too wrong -

With about 1-2mm to spare between the cable and the seat tube, you can see we are off about 3/8" or more from the FD.

Making contact with the FD, we also make contact with the seat tube. No ……

*WAIT! The goal has been to make the bike lighter, right? So if you had taken a 2” price of housing, slipped over the cable, the seat tube would have been protected, and you wouldn’t have added the weight of the stainless tube. I know this works as I have a bike with braze on guides that has the same problem you encountered. Took me 30 seconds to fix. I think you should do it again with my lighter fix.
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 05-20-23, 12:34 PM
gilesa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Tiger's fix eliminates a sharp bend in the cable where it left the guide, caused by the guide being too far forward. But that tube really should have been titanium, or beryllium-lithium alloy, for extra lightness. No materials are too exotic for this machine.
Likes For gilesa:
Old 05-20-23, 01:10 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gilesa
Tiger's fix eliminates a sharp bend in the cable where it left the guide, caused by the guide being too far forward. But that tube really should have been titanium, or beryllium-lithium alloy, for extra lightness. No materials are too exotic for this machine.
Wasn't gonna burst AMCOs bubble, but you can buy aluminum "fuel line" for RCs in aluminum
Likes For wschruba:
Old 05-20-23, 01:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
Wasn't gonna burst AMCOs bubble, but you can buy aluminum "fuel line" for RCs in aluminum
IMO, with the movement of the cable when shifting between chainrings, I would expect aluminum tubing to fatigue and fail where it exists the Campy clamp. A more durable - or more flexible - material seems like a better choice.
Old 05-20-23, 02:10 PM
gilesa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
The tube might be flared at the exit by mounting it in a drill chuck before bending and forcing the point of a lubricated nail into it while it rotates. A sort of metal spinning operation. But the lithium may catch fire, so a Campagnolo nail with superior surface finish should be used.

But that does not address the possibility of fatigue failure where the tube leaves the guide. Perhaps a hand-crafted CF tube formed around a greased brake cable? Obviously that will be a Phase 2 component.

Last edited by gilesa; 05-20-23 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add drivel
Likes For gilesa:
Old 05-20-23, 05:10 PM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 221 Posts
Or AMCO could simply bend the arm of the FD to make a smoother line. But then AMCO would then stand for Abusing Many Campy Objects
Likes For Mr. Spadoni:
Old 05-20-23, 06:53 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

See folks? The power of collective Huffy engineering is what turns this Le Junk into a bundle of joy.

Good points were made, and I'll have some time with which to address the FD guide conundrum. I think we will be in business for now, and then off to other more pressing matters.

I was working all day today (just got home in fact) so no work on the Le Grande has commenced. And probably none will, at least tonight. I have a feeling there might be a riot at Le Grande HQ if that were to happen Maybe tomorrow.

Points to address:

1. Cutting seat tube shorter
2. Modifying seatpost to get seatpost lower
3. Slimming down seatpost clamp and polishing
4. Reinforcing FD cable guide

More to come for sure. I won't be able to work on the bike tonight, but I sure will be available for all complaints and general heckling for anyone who wishes to contribute!

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 05-20-23 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-21-23, 05:34 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
More to come for sure. I won't be able to work on the bike tonight, but I sure will be available for all complaints and general heckling for anyone who wishes to contribute!
Cut the seat tube flush with the top tube and braze on some seatlug ear clamps

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-21-23, 08:45 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Cut the seat tube flush with the top tube and braze on some seatlug ear clamps

-Kurt
Well, at least someone took me up on the offer

I really have no reason to keep posting until I do more on the bike, but the seat tube/seatpost/clamp stuff should be easy enough to knock off the list, and also reinforcing the cable guide. I'll throw the chainstay guide in some Evaporust today and clean it up to prep it.

I hope that I'll be able to get this thing together to at least ride it a few miles before taking on a mainly unsupported, dozens-of-miles ride to iron out all the issues.

Also got wind that another component showed up in the mail, so we'll check that today. Gonna be a chill (but hopefully productive) day at Le Grande HQ!

Old 05-21-23, 09:03 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Abusing Many Campy Objects
I'm okay with that

Absurd Man Concocting Obscenities?

Amazing Mechanic Creating Obfuscations?

And, Making Cruddy Offenses?

Old 05-21-23, 10:08 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 3,768 Times in 1,846 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
Or AMCO could simply bend the arm of the FD to make a smoother line. But then AMCO would then stand for Abusing Many Campy Objects
I know you have already picked out a jersey but @Mr. Spadoni might be on to something?

Likes For SoCaled:
Old 05-21-23, 10:10 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by SoCaled
I know you have already picked out a jersey but @Mr. Spadoni might be on to something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.