Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help choosing replacement fender stays for Univega 3 speed?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-23, 09:25 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Hello-

I'm looking to replace the rusty fender stays on my Univega 3 speed but I'm nervous I'm going to order the wrong thing. I've measured the diameter to be ~5mm and they appear to be approximately 14" long. I'm seeing lots of options from Honjo on the Rene Herse site but I'm not sure if they're going to fit my fenders. They also seem quite expensive. I was wondering if anyone might have suggestions on finding stays that will fit and be more affordable. Thank you!

Old 07-30-23, 09:36 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Unless those are fully rusted through in spots, I can almost guarentee that they can be brought back from the dead relatively easily with aluminum foil or steel wool in short time. Others here are more practiced.

Sorry if this is irrelevant and you're just planning on replacing, but thought it would be worth mentioning since you talk about the cost of new ones.

Any bike co-ops near you? Or (very) cheap bikes on craigslist with fender stays in good condition?
Likes For Piff:
Old 07-30-23, 10:13 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
A really inexpensive solution is to buy steel rod at Home Depot or the like (1/8” I think, like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...1547/204273947), and bend and cut it yourself. Bending it around a form or wooden block is easy, and you can cut it to length with bolt cutters or a hacksaw. I’ve done that with custom fitted wooden fenders.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-31-23, 12:04 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Unless those are fully rusted through in spots, I can almost guarentee that they can be brought back from the dead relatively easily with aluminum foil or steel wool in short time. Others here are more practiced.

Sorry if this is irrelevant and you're just planning on replacing, but thought it would be worth mentioning since you talk about the cost of new ones.

Any bike co-ops near you? Or (very) cheap bikes on craigslist with fender stays in good condition?
You can definitely clean those with wd40 and aluminium foil. Cool bike by the way.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-31-23, 08:09 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
I agree with the others that you should try aluminum foil and wd40 first - costs almost nothing and usually works very very well.

I also want to say cool bike - forged dropouts on a 3 speed! And that chainguard is lovely!...
Likes For markk900:
Old 07-31-23, 08:31 AM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by Piff
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
You can definitely clean those with wd40 and aluminium foil. Cool bike by the way.
Originally Posted by markk900
I agree with the others that you should try aluminum foil and wd40 first - costs almost nothing and usually works very very well.
Thank you all for the suggestions. I did originally try removing the rust using the Quick-glo product which appeared to be successful but not long after the rust reappeared. I don't know if I needed to protect them afterward with a protective wax or wd40. It's a bike I'm giving to a friend so I'd like to come up with a solution that's more lasting. Perhaps I'll try the rod from Home Depot or sourcing stays from my bike co-op. Thanks again!
Old 07-31-23, 08:43 AM
nlerner

Another approach is to sand off the rust and then repaint with “chrome” spray paint:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-31-23, 08:56 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Fluid Film spray (or boiled linseed oil if you're trying to avoid petroleum products) are both effective rust inhibitors.
Likes For Piff:
Old 07-31-23, 09:12 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can get stainless welding rod long enough for a fender stay.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 07-31-23, 09:25 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

If you do wd40 it takes a while before rust returns. I understand looking for a more permanent solution.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 07-31-23, 09:35 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
I think your time is better spent reviving what you have rather than casting about and guessing at new stays for that bike.

I'd try de-rusting them and seeing what you have first. Based on the photos, I'm thinking there's not much good chrome left, but it's worth a try. I'd be inclined to throw those in a small tub of oxalic acid for an afternoon and see what happens. Maybe you get lucky and they're better than the photo indicates.

If the chrome is too far gone (and my guess is that it is, just going off your photos), I'd take a wire brush and strip them down to bare metal and then paint with your choice of spray. That Rustoleum chrome that Neal has shown above is a good choice for stays. I've used it before and it looks good on wire braces. Other options are black (matches almost everything) or even a matching blue paint if you can get a spot-on match. Braces tend to be a bit more forgiving than fenders or handlebars in terms of playing around with paint.
Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 07-31-23, 11:49 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Go to a local hardware store, Canadian Tire comes to mind, and buy a length of stainless steel rod in the diameter you want. Measure carefully, after making the curved bend and then flatten the ends of the rod. Drill an appropriate size hold in each end. File smooth all rough edges, polish with fine steel wool or wet and dry paper. The result looks great and will not rust for a very long time.

Or, though not at all sure, your rusty stays, like these from a late sixties Torpado...

Polished up nicely with some soapy water and a tooth brush, followed by a rubbing with crumpled up aluminum foil and topped of with a coat of Mother's cleaning wax. Still looks pretty darn good to this day...

The fenders, however, were beyond the rub with something and hope for the best stage...

Simply put, the oxidized chrome surface was beyond normal repair. Paint seemed the best option and the results speak for themselves. So I grabbed my paint stuff and painted...

Turned out pretty good, not perfect fender supports and all...

And, for what it is worth, I tend to like painted fenders, as can be seen on this old Legnano...
Old 07-31-23, 12:03 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by randyjawa
Go to a local hardware store, Canadian Tire comes to mind, and buy a length of stainless steel rod in the diameter you want. Measure carefully, after making the curved bend and then flatten the ends of the rod. Drill an appropriate size hold in each end. File smooth all rough edges, polish with fine steel wool or wet and dry paper. The result looks great and will not rust for a very long time.

Or, though not at all sure, your rusty stays, like these from a late sixties Torpado...

Polished up nicely with some soapy water and a tooth brush, followed by a rubbing with crumpled up aluminum foil and topped of with a coat of Mother's cleaning wax. Still looks pretty darn good to this day...

The fenders, however, were beyond the rub with something and hope for the best stage...

Simply put, the oxidized chrome surface was beyond normal repair. Paint seemed the best option and the results speak for themselves. So I grabbed my paint stuff and painted...

Turned out pretty good, not perfect fender supports and all...

And, for what it is worth, I tend to like painted fenders, as can be seen on this old Legnano...
Both are beautiful
Old 08-03-23, 09:36 AM
univega.duder

Wow - fantastic job on the painted fenders. Those came out great! Also thanks for the suggestion for stainless wire from the hardware store. Do you have any suggestions for recreating the bend in the fender? I wondering if should bend it around the existing fender or try and find a baseball bat or piece of pipe with similar diameter to help guide the curve.
Old 08-03-23, 08:11 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by univega.duder
Wow - fantastic job on the painted fenders. Those came out great! Also thanks for the suggestion for stainless wire from the hardware store. Do you have any suggestions for recreating the bend in the fender? I wondering if should bend it around the existing fender or try and find a baseball bat or piece of pipe with similar diameter to help guide the curve.
Trace the arc of the fender, and grab a piece of PVC pipe that has the same diameter (you remember your geometry and trig, right?!). [Lightly] notch the wire with a file/punch in the middle, and place it on the form you are using. Bend, and then cut to size. The notch you made will serve to help you center the stay in the mounting hardware on the fender. Use 4/5mm p-clamps (these may be sold as wire guides in a hardware store, but unlikely to find the 'right' ones outside of a marine store) to mount the stays to the braze-ons. You can bend eyelets onto the stay, but it will be exceedingly difficult without a bending jig to hold the end of the wire.

You can buy aluminum/brass/stainless steel rod from Zoro or Grainger. 3/16" if in the USA, or 4/5mm is usually a safe bet.
Old 08-04-23, 09:39 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
I have the material and forms to bend fender stays if I wanted, but it's just easier for me to buy them. Velo Orange sells a pair in aluminum for $16.50
Old 08-04-23, 05:49 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
A really inexpensive solution is to buy steel rod at Home Depot or the like (1/8” I think, like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...1547/204273947), and bend and cut it yourself. Bending it around a form or wooden block is easy, and you can cut it to length with bolt cutters or a hacksaw. I’ve done that with custom fitted wooden fenders.
He'll need to form eyes at the dropout end; unless he uses aluminium stamping the ends flat and drilling a hole is not really an option for hand-work, so he'll need to bend the rod into a tight circle.
This is do-able, you need a vice and some skill.
Old 08-04-23, 09:06 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by oneclick
He'll need to form eyes at the dropout end; unless he uses aluminium stamping the ends flat and drilling a hole is not really an option for hand-work, so he'll need to bend the rod into a tight circle.
This is do-able, you need a vice and some skill.
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...-r-clip-4-pack
Old 08-27-23, 01:43 PM
univega.duder

Velo Orange was out of the fender attaching hardware so I ended up buying some Honjo fender stays and hardware. They were a little more expensive than I wanted but seem to be high quality and were easy enough to install. I also installed a new Public saddle with springs - it's certainly less rusty than the Deluxe Sport saddle but doesn't have the same vintage appeal. Perhaps I'l order a new seat post and work on cleaning up the rusty fender reflector. Thanks again for all the help!

Last edited by univega.duder; 08-28-23 at 11:23 AM.
Likes For univega.duder: