Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage touring bikes: which ones have internal routing for dynamo wiring?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 05:04 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 288 Posts

Hey gang,

Looking to get a vintage bike/frame that has a fork that will allow internal wiring of a front dynamo hub... any ideas? I can't stand the sight of the wires wrapped around the fork (I know, issues...). Or, am I better off trying to find a new off-the-shelf steel bike frame? I tried checking the Velo Orange, Surly and Kona sites but can't figure out which frames will allow this... I saw a thread here about a vintage Koga Miyata bike that would work, but that would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-23, 05:09 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
You can frequently sneak the thin 2-conductor BuMM wires through vent holes in the fork. If you have the light mounted to a conductive surface, you can even typically "get away" with one wire, provided the hub grounds to the axle.

Using vent holes (which I will admit: can be super frustrating) opens you up to pretty much every bike outside of the fancy-schmancy stuff where the builder was showing off, and silver-brazed the vents closed.
Old 04-24-23, 05:19 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Pretty much no bike will have internal fork wiring from-factory.

Specialized Expedition had internal wiring, along with a couple of Koga-Miyata touring bikes from the '80s. Also many French randonneuses.

The trouble with all these is, they were built for "bottle" dynamos or under-bb dynamos, which won't run wiring down a fork blade.

On most all bikes that do have internal wiring, the wire is just running through plain holes, sometimes reinforced with a grommet or other such thing. It's not complicated to do this yourself, just very tedious. Even René Herse did his wiring like this. The wires are reinforced with braided sheath where they go in and out of the frame, and that's it. The only old builder I know of who used internal conduits is Jack Taylor, and then only on a very few frames.

I have threaded wires through a multitude of forks. Mostly Nishiki tourers (usually super easy), Miyatas and Univegas, a Huffy-era Raleigh, Schwinn Voyageur SP, as well as a Trek or two. You push a derailleur cable through from the top. Put a curved end on it, and either glue or solder the end to make sure it doesn't fray while you're pushing it inside. You push it all the way through to the bottom of the fork, then turn it until the curved end pokes through the vent hole near the dropout. Might take a couple tries to get the curved end right. It's got to be curved enough to poke out, but not so curved that it forms a U-loop inside the fork. Then solder the actual lighting wire onto the cable and use the cable to pull the wire through. It is often possible, except when it isn't. This will depend on the fork crown and pre-drilled vent holes.

Once I built a fork with an internal conduit. It was a HUGE pain to build. Would not recommend, not for the faint of heart. That said, it is super slick. The ne plus ultra of dynamo wiring.

With patience, you can be most of the way there by threading your own fork, if you find one with a hollow crown, with holes all the way through, and that is not super snaggy inside.

I favor a single-conductor wire over the two-conductor. Shimano hubs ground to the axle. Sanyo I think as well. SP and Schmidt do not, but you can ground them, like Peter Weigle did here:

I did this to my Schmidt and have had no trouble with single-conductor wiring. Cases where it might not work include plastique headsets such as the Stronglight B10.

Last edited by scarlson; 04-24-23 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For scarlson:
Old 04-24-23, 05:35 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
I've never tried to feed a dynamo wire through a fork--seems quite challenging! However, I have glued the wire in multiple places to the inside of the fork blade using silicon adhesive (so easily removable). You can pretty much make the wire invisible unless one were really looking for it.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-25-23, 11:18 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by scarlson
Pretty much no bike will have internal fork wiring from-factory.

Specialized Expedition had internal wiring, along with a couple of Koga-Miyata touring bikes from the '80s. Also many French randonneuses.

The trouble with all these is, they were built for "bottle" dynamos or under-bb dynamos, which won't run wiring down a fork blade.

On most all bikes that do have internal wiring, the wire is just running through plain holes, sometimes reinforced with a grommet or other such thing. It's not complicated to do this yourself, just very tedious. Even René Herse did his wiring like this. The wires are reinforced with braided sheath where they go in and out of the frame, and that's it. The only old builder I know of who used internal conduits is Jack Taylor, and then only on a very few frames.

I have threaded wires through a multitude of forks. Mostly Nishiki tourers (usually super easy), Miyatas and Univegas, a Huffy-era Raleigh, Schwinn Voyageur SP, as well as a Trek or two. You push a derailleur cable through from the top. Put a curved end on it, and either glue or solder the end to make sure it doesn't fray while you're pushing it inside. You push it all the way through to the bottom of the fork, then turn it until the curved end pokes through the vent hole near the dropout. Might take a couple tries to get the curved end right. It's got to be curved enough to poke out, but not so curved that it forms a U-loop inside the fork. Then solder the actual lighting wire onto the cable and use the cable to pull the wire through. It is often possible, except when it isn't. This will depend on the fork crown and pre-drilled vent holes.

Once I built a fork with an internal conduit. It was a HUGE pain to build. Would not recommend, not for the faint of heart. That said, it is super slick. The ne plus ultra of dynamo wiring.

With patience, you can be most of the way there by threading your own fork, if you find one with a hollow crown, with holes all the way through, and that is not super snaggy inside.

I favor a single-conductor wire over the two-conductor. Shimano hubs ground to the axle. Sanyo I think as well. SP and Schmidt do not, but you can ground them, like Peter Weigle did here:

I did this to my Schmidt and have had no trouble with single-conductor wiring. Cases where it might not work include plastique headsets such as the Stronglight B10.
Thanks! Definitely sounds above my pay grade, but looks good.
Old 04-25-23, 11:18 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by nlerner
I've never tried to feed a dynamo wire through a fork--seems quite challenging! However, I have glued the wire in multiple places to the inside of the fork blade using silicon adhesive (so easily removable). You can pretty much make the wire invisible unless one were really looking for it.
I like this idea. Thank you...
Old 04-25-23, 12:01 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts

R. Herse head wire

Thought this might be of interest, found it while surfing around a few weeks ago.
Old 04-25-23, 12:57 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Hey gang,

Looking to get a vintage bike/frame that has a fork that will allow internal wiring of a front dynamo hub... any ideas? I can't stand the sight of the wires wrapped around the fork (I know, issues...). Or, am I better off trying to find a new off-the-shelf steel bike frame? I tried checking the Velo Orange, Surly and Kona sites but can't figure out which frames will allow this... I saw a thread here about a vintage Koga Miyata bike that would work, but that would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Thanks in advance!
Some friends have drilled their forks and/or utilized existing lower fork drain or braze on "ports", with magnets to help guide the wire.

My '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15 had internal wire routing from the bb to the top of the downtube. Exit hole was pretty basic. Wishful thinking, but would love to see Son partner with SKF to offer a high quality square taper bb dynamo.
Old 04-25-23, 01:26 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
I like this idea. Thank you...
Look at some of the industrial supply places. You can get large heat shrink tubing in clear. You could either shrink bands of clear to hold the wire or slip over the whole fork leg and shrink it. Not sure how well that would hold up to abrasion would be my concern.
Likes For etherhuffer:
Old 04-25-23, 01:39 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by ctak
My '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15 had internal wire routing from the bb to the top of the downtube. Exit hole was pretty basic. Wishful thinking, but would love to see Son partner with SKF to offer a high quality square taper bb dynamo.
A BB dynamo that uses the rider's pedaling to generate electricity has never been done, to my knowledge. It would be interesting to know if it is possible, given the diametric constraints and (comparatively) slow rpm.

The Pro Tour is built for one of those under-BB dynamos that clamps between the chainstays, flicks on with a lever, and runs on the tire's tread. I always liked them, they seemed a bit more weatherproof than the sidewall bottle units. My childhood setup (thanks dad!) was one of those, but mounted on the front rack to run on the front tire, right next to the headlight. The tail light was a battery operated blinky. The "fancy" halogen headlight was pretty amazing compared to anything battery operated, at least that we could afford, back in those days.

Of course the modern hubs and LEDs are the 8th wonder of the world, in comparison to what we had then.
Old 04-26-23, 08:06 AM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 983 Posts
Nuts. I've been wondering about doing this and I now might be over the edge...

Likes For ascherer:
Old 04-27-23, 04:18 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I tried various ways to get a 2-conductor Busch & Muller wire through the fork of my Pro Tour, but couldn't ever manage. I could get it to enter each side, but never snake it through. Eventually I siliconed some small aluminum hobby tubing to the bottom of the fork blade after bending it to match the curve of the fork. I put one under the downtube, too. I run the cable through that tubing. The other part is under my plastic rear fender with silicone dabs and real aluminum duct tape for protection.

I did that 9 years ago, and it's holding up great. That also includes 2 transatlantic moves. As with all things experience, I'd probably be better with my silicone technique if I tried a couple times.
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 04-27-23, 06:30 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
My ‘82 Chris Pauley Tierra has wire guides brazed to the fork blade. I’d still use silicone to secure the wires.

Chris Pauley Tierra, dynamo wire guide
Old 04-27-23, 06:45 PM
bear_a_bug 

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
I tried various ways to get a 2-conductor Busch & Muller wire through the fork of my Pro Tour, but couldn't ever manage. I could get it to enter each side, but never snake it through. Eventually I siliconed some small aluminum hobby tubing to the bottom of the fork blade after bending it to match the curve of the fork. I put one under the downtube, too. I run the cable through that tubing. The other part is under my plastic rear fender with silicone dabs and real aluminum duct tape for protection.

I did that 9 years ago, and it's holding up great. That also includes 2 transatlantic moves. As with all things experience, I'd probably be better with my silicone technique if I tried a couple times.
Another wire fishing attempt (sounds like a scam) I've used was to unravel a single wire from the braid of a brake cable wire. The single strand is just stiff enough that you can put a nice hook on the end of your fishing wire and get a bit more control. I then snake the wire through the tubes, pop it out the other side, solder on my electrical wire, and carefully pull the wire back out the way it came. Worked for me after some painful hours trying to get wire through a fork leg. Might work for others.
Old 04-27-23, 08:12 PM
ChairmanMeow

Bikes: '83 Specialized Expedition, '76(?) Austro Daimler Superleicht, '95 & '97 Santa Cruz Tazmons, '86 Miyata Ridge Runner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As others have said, vintage tourers may have internal routing for a BB dynamo, but not for a hub dynamo. My Miyata 1000 has two sets of vent holes on the fork blade - one at the top and one at the bottom. As suggested by others, you could probably route a thin wire through those holes. My Specialized Expedition only has one set of holes (I think), so it wouldn't work on that bike - you'd have to make sure the bike you get has the double vent holes.
Old 04-27-23, 10:12 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by ChairmanMeow
As others have said, vintage tourers may have internal routing for a BB dynamo, but not for a hub dynamo. My Miyata 1000 has two sets of vent holes on the fork blade - one at the top and one at the bottom. As suggested by others, you could probably route a thin wire through those holes. My Specialized Expedition only has one set of holes (I think), so it wouldn't work on that bike - you'd have to make sure the bike you get has the double vent holes.
Yeah, I just worked on an early '80s Expedition. It has a solid fork crown so you can't snake through it. I ended up brazing on little guides made of very small diameter tubing.
Old 04-28-23, 04:19 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
A BB dynamo that uses the rider's pedaling to generate electricity has never been done, to my knowledge. It would be interesting to know if it is possible, given the diametric constraints and (comparatively) slow rpm.

The Pro Tour is built for one of those under-BB dynamos that clamps between the chainstays, flicks on with a lever, and runs on the tire's tread. I always liked them, they seemed a bit more weatherproof than the sidewall bottle units. My childhood setup (thanks dad!) was one of those, but mounted on the front rack to run on the front tire, right next to the headlight. The tail light was a battery operated blinky. The "fancy" halogen headlight was pretty amazing compared to anything battery operated, at least that we could afford, back in those days.

Of course the modern hubs and LEDs are the 8th wonder of the world, in comparison to what we had then.
I revisited the world of bb dynamos a year or so ago. It wasn't as good as I remember. Better than a sidewall for sure but nowhere near as good as a hub. Good memories though.
Old 04-28-23, 08:51 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by bear_a_bug
Another wire fishing attempt (sounds like a scam) I've used was to unravel a single wire from the braid of a brake cable wire. The single strand is just stiff enough that you can put a nice hook on the end of your fishing wire and get a bit more control. I then snake the wire through the tubes, pop it out the other side, solder on my electrical wire, and carefully pull the wire back out the way it came. Worked for me after some painful hours trying to get wire through a fork leg. Might work for others.
The 'needle threader' method works well, too. Make a needle threader from the same strand of cable, stick it through the hole, and get another strand through from the other direction. Pull out, attach your wire to your new fish line, and pull through.

I needed 2-3 attempts to get the wire through in one piece. Using SON coax, it barely fit through the hole, and was one of the most frustrating things I've ever done; it took 2 tries to get it through the second vent. I gave up for sneaking the wire through the frame itself, and just used two-conductor BuMM wire...which fit in the crimped edge of the fender, anyway.