Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help pic a first race-ish bike: 4 contenders

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 08:44 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

Looking for my first raceish-oriented bike. Will be used in some not-very-competitive triathlons and a lot of 50-80 mile road rides. Going to turn my Lynskey Sportive into a light touring / dynamo-powered rando rig once I have the new bike.

Bikes I'm considering are all in the $3400 to $3600 range:

· Bianchi Sprint Disc (because Dat Celeste color) with Rival eTap. Geo felt good when I took a short test ride. Also, I realized I dig wireless shifting. I also like SRAM because the power meters are cheaper and it's easier to find 165mm arms, but Shimano has advantages (I have some decent carbon wheels I can swap on with just a cassette change if I go DI2), so it's kind of a wash.

· Bianchi Aria Disc (if I can find one) -- basically the same geo as the Sprint, but slightly heavier, with aero tubing

· Giant TCR Advanced (almost spot-on identical geo to the Sprint) -- identical stack and reach with 105 Di2

· Felt AR Advanced (little shorter stack and reach than the Sprint). My racing friends say it's a "nicer" frame than the Sprint or TCR and it comes with decent wheels, but it's mechanical Ultegra shifting for the same price as the TCR with 105 Di2. I could also get the 105 mechanical version for $2400, swap on my Reynolds wheels, and spend the rest on a DI2 upgrade some day if the frame supports it (not sure if it does)
Old 08-29-23, 10:30 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Here: lighter, higher performing and $1k cheaper:

Giant TCR Advanced 2-Pro Compact Road Bike – Bicycle Warehouse
Old 08-29-23, 10:45 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Thanks. I've gotten used to hydraulic discs over the years, though, particularly since I started getting a bit of arthritis in my knuckles.
Old 08-29-23, 06:28 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Buying a bike you have ridden or had some prior experience on is prolly a good call, since you know what to expect...
Buying a bike, sight unseen, is always a crapshoot as to how the reality matches the expectations. It might be 'better' or might be worse, than expectations.
A lot depends on whether you're the type who finds things to 'like' about anything, or looks and finds things to dislike...
The numbers are a good start point, but most often they don't match the reality/expectation.
"love the one you're with"
Ride On
Yuri
not a suggestion for 'the one', it's something which totally rests on you.
specualtion is an internet 'mouse exercise tread wheel' or zwift...
Old 08-30-23, 11:31 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
If money is a concern and you want best bang for the buck, Giant is clearly your go to. Can't have a better price/quality ratio.

I've had several TCRs in my life and none of them let me down.

Ah, and.... Shimano > SRAM. If you can get 105 DI2, you'll be all set for a long time.
Old 09-26-23, 09:09 PM
Silver02M5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If you have solid past experience with a particular marque, and would stick with that marque. Changing brands is always a crapshoot, and you may not find out until it is too late.