Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Base tape not making full contact on rim at valve section.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 08:31 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Hi Guys,

So i got myself a used pair of Araya Super Aero tubular rims and had them built up with DA 7400 8 speed. Today I mounted some Vittorias and Conti Sprinter Gatorskins to see which I would prefer on them aesthetically. When mounting the tubulars I noticed that at the tire base tape does not contact the rim fully around the valve area. I have included some pictures here where it may be a little difficult to tell but if you look closely you can see the base tape approaching the valve region detaches from the rim. I dont think it is a complete detach, the more central portion of the base tape seems to still make contact. The issue seems to mostly be with the side sections of the base tape. Would this be an issue when riding? Will try to upload some clearer photos tom. I did use a brand new and a used tubular pumped up to about 90 psi. Do you think it could have anything to do with the rim damage near the valve section? Any input appreciated.

Also included some of the photos I took, feel free to tell me which combo of tire, rim you think looks best. Ignore the bar tape color as it will be changed to match whatever I combo I decide to run. I originally thought tan wall would be the best looking but because of how bright the white frame and bright bar tape is, that all black tire is looking super clean to me.

Araya Aero clinchers with tan wall

Aero 4's with black

Super Aero tubular tan wall

Super Aero tubular black
Old 01-14-24, 09:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,438 Times in 2,764 Posts
The rim does seem to be damaged but the glue may hold the tire w/o issue.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-14-24, 12:19 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
I like the looks of the Super Aero rims with tan wall tubulars.the most.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 01-14-24, 01:28 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
LeSexyFishorse There was another thread last week about tubulars not seating due to the valve stem. Here is a link,
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-question.html
Old 01-14-24, 02:19 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Doesn't that bump on the rim make the brakes surge?
Old 01-14-24, 02:39 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
No comment on the base tape, but I like the Aero 4 with black. The bike just looks sleeker to me with that combo.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 01-15-24, 02:37 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
LeSexyFishorse There was another thread last week about tubulars not seating due to the valve stem. Here is a link,
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-question.html
Thanks for this Dave! Did not see this thread. I shall try widening the hole for the valve stem slightly.

Originally Posted by Classtime
Doesn't that bump on the rim make the brakes surge?
Have not yet had a chance to try it, running my fingers over the bump makes it seem very slight though. Fingers crossed it doesnt feel like anything under braking.
Old 01-15-24, 02:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The rim is dented close to but not at the valve.
I think one will feel it under braking.
biggest issue will be under duress and modulation will suffer and possible control loss.

possible to improve the braking surface.
I would not worry about the base tape to rim contact but… that valve is short for an aero rim.
too short in my assessment at least one of the tires are.
Old 01-16-24, 02:58 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The rim is dented close to but not at the valve.
I think one will feel it under braking.
biggest issue will be under duress and modulation will suffer and possible control loss.

possible to improve the braking surface.
I would not worry about the base tape to rim contact but… that valve is short for an aero rim.
too short in my assessment at least one of the tires are.
I agree about the valves, I would not put a tubie with such a short valve on that rim. It should suit an old-school box-rim, like a Fiamme, Nisi, or most Mavics from the '60s and '70s, not to mention most other tubular or sprint rims of the day.

One thing I used to do with tubular rims back in my Chicago school days is to use a large vice-grip with a lot of leverage to very gently squeeze the rim at the protrusion due to the dent, and press it down just a bit (check your work every 10 seconds or so, to make sure you do not press the dent in! I never raced on such a fix (I never raced, lol!), but I never had one fail on a rider, either. That would eliminate the bump you would feel while braking.

If I recall, John Forester discussed such a cheap fix in his book, "Effective Cycling." I haven't seen anyone else say "it works!" but I think it does, if you are careful.

It's not perfect, but it should ride well if you are not an abusive rider. However tubulars being what they are, while they are hard to kill intentionally, accidents can happen.

Last edited by Road Fan; 01-16-24 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-16-24, 10:04 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I agree about the valves, I would not put a tubie with such a short valve on that rim. It should suit an old-school box-rim, like a Fiamme, Nisi, or most Mavics from the '60s and '70s, not to mention most other tubular or sprint rims of the day.

One thing I used to do with tubular rims back in my Chicago school days is to use a large vice-grip with a lot of leverage to very gently squeeze the rim at the protrusion due to the dent, and press it down just a bit (check your work every 10 seconds or so, to make sure you do not press the dent in! I never raced on such a fix (I never raced, lol!), but I never had one fail on a rider, either. That would eliminate the bump you would feel while braking.
Back in the days of steel rims, we used a tool to squeeze out minor dents at keep people riding. It worked surprisingly well.

I found one on Ebay at an exorbitant price: Bicycle Research Vintage Tire Seating Rim Ding Dent Saver Plier w/ THROW ADJUST | eBay

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-16-24, 11:02 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Yes, that's what I used my vise-gjrips for!
Old 01-17-24, 01:25 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,128 Times in 555 Posts
First, that’s a beautiful Zunow and I hope you enjoy the bike when it’s road-ready.

I agree with the concerns above re the rim dent. By the looks of it, I bet you’ll feel it during braking (a bit of an extra tug with each revolution). It could definitely affect your control on a tight, technical descent. I’ve smoothed out some rim blemishes with high-grit wet sandpaper but that may need more aggressive remediation. I’d opt for a bench vise with smooth wood blocks before a toothy vise grip, followed by sanding & polishing.

To your original question about the gaps around the valve…I wouldn’t be concerned about any safety issues. However, sometimes I’ve found that a tubular with such gaps creates an annoying sound if the gap causes any air bubbles or movement around the valve. This can sometimes be avoided by securely strapping the tire to the rim on the sides of the valve when gluing. I’ve got a Challenge tubular on one of my bikes that is making this sound and I plan to re-glue it in the near future.