Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek touring, 531 and Mafac canti's?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Trek touring, 531 and Mafac canti's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 06:05 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I don't know about those headlug modules or whatevers. I don't see any outward sign of non-genuine lugging on my 610, the 600 I formerly ride, the 620 I had, or the 720, so I can honestly say I'm clueless. I have trouble seeing how those lead to any sort of structural deficiency or misalignment, unless perhaps they invite a lower level of craftsmanship?
John D Thompson and a few others have posted in the past that the "lug" edges of the bulge-formed head tube/top lug/bottom lug one-piece unit have been known to act as stress raisers where cracks sometimes develop.
Old 02-16-24, 10:35 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I'm also never been crazy about those Cinelli 64's! On my Treks I like more modern compact bars, even without indexed shifting. I agree with Jah Heine that the more open curves of his rando and Maes bars are more comfortable, but modern compacts usually have a tight bend up near the tops and a large radius bend sweeping down through the hooks to flat drops. I have one bike with a 3T set (I think Aeronova?) in aluminum, and even on a pretty racy road bike it makes for a comfortable 50-mile ride. Latex tubulars did't hurt!

On that Cinelli the tops slope down, as in your picture, and without a tall Technomic I was bent down too much. With the Aeronova my hands were raised another few centimeters, and I also put it on a shorter stem.

If you can get the Nitto compact with a more uniform bend, something like the old Short and Shallow, you might like it.
Old 02-16-24, 10:43 AM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,082 Times in 522 Posts
Looks like its probably a scratch but kind of an awkward place for that, that isn't a crack under the downtube near the headtube is it?
Old 02-16-24, 01:26 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
I'm also never been crazy about those Cinelli 64's! On my Treks I like more modern compact bars, even without indexed shifting. I agree with Jah Heine that the more open curves of his rando and Maes bars are more comfortable, but modern compacts usually have a tight bend up near the tops and a large radius bend sweeping down through the hooks to flat drops. I have one bike with a 3T set (I think Aeronova?) in aluminum, and even on a pretty racy road bike it makes for a comfortable 50-mile ride. Latex tubulars did't hurt!

On that Cinelli the tops slope down, as in your picture, and without a tall Technomic I was bent down too much. With the Aeronova my hands were raised another few centimeters, and I also put it on a shorter stem.

If you can get the Nitto compact with a more uniform bend, something like the old Short and Shallow, you might like it.
I just installed Cinelli 64s and I agree. I normally switch back and forth from ramps to drops, but the ramps on these feel way too steep. Curious why Trek specced these on so many models.

​​​​​
Old 02-16-24, 02:25 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I don't think Trek put Cinelli bars them on very many at least not in the 80s. I recall a lot of Nitto bars. For a while everyone wanted Cinelli bars, and these were easier to ride (less drop) than the even more classic Cinelli 66 "Campion du Monde" (hope I got that right!). But the geometry of most, nearly all vintage Treks differed that of from Cinelli, Masi, et cetera.
Old 02-16-24, 03:46 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
I don't think Trek put Cinelli bars them on very many at least not in the 80s. I recall a lot of Nitto bars. For a while everyone wanted Cinelli bars, and these were easier to ride (less drop) than the even more classic Cinelli 66 "Campion du Monde" (hope I got that right!). But the geometry of most, nearly all vintage Treks differed that of from Cinelli, Masi, et cetera.
Interesting. I don't followTrek much at all after about 1984 but it seemed that all the high end Trek's had Cinelli 64 from the late 70s into the early 80s.
Old 02-16-24, 04:20 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I remember a lot of them had French bars on them too, like smaller than 25.4 clamp. I used to have one of those bars in OS and it had like a champagne colored anodizing but I could never find a stem to fit it.