Search
Notices
Southern California Regional Rides and Events Southern California

Fun/dumb/unusual rides in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-23, 10:29 AM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts
Fun/dumb/unusual rides in SoCal?

I left SoCal (Long Beach) for Washington State for several years, and now I'm happy to be home (in Oceanside). Better tacos, warmer Oceans, 12 months of riding, and people who feel like home. And even the summers here in North County are pretty mild, so--winning.

But I do miss some of the fun, not-run-of-the-mill riding up in the PNW that really helped miz up the road/trail routine. Bike polo, SSCX with costumes and beer, mountain bike biathlon, bike jousting at the Dead Baby Downhill--whatever. I know we don't really have the mud for CX, and biathlon is probably a nightmare of liability (though I did see a mountain bike / archery biathlon once), but I feel like I might be missing some things down here. Any rides / resources I should check out?

Alternately, anyone interesting in setting something up? I feel like "Do x on y bike while also z" can yield some interesting results.
Old 10-24-23, 02:12 PM
facewizard

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 2012 Trek Earl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I recommend checking out the "Infrastructure LA" rides. They do some highly interesting routes based around urban infrastructure projects--examples include tours of bridges, flood tunnels, gated communities, superfund sites, etc. The few events I've done with them have been amazing. They also occasionally do rides south of LA closer to where you're based--they once did a 40+ mile tour of Irvine's urban infrastructure.

I haven't posted enough here to be allowed to post a link, but they have a google group you can subscribe to if you search "infrastructure LA google group." I hear they also have a Strava group you could use to keep track of their events.
Old 10-30-23, 01:23 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,750 Times in 1,841 Posts
A bit too far from you, but this group in Van Nuys definitely meets the criteria of "Fun/dumb/unusual"
Atomic Cycles
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...680151675.html