Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is road bike weight limit determined by frame or rim and tires?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-24, 02:52 PM
jzr756

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

As the title. Did vintage road bikes have a weight limit back in the day? If so, does the weight limit apply to the frame or rim/tire combination? Either one, where would you find such a spec? @ my 230lbs. just curious. Also in reference to tires, I've heard tire size 20A tossed around.. Is 20A a tire size or something else?
Old 01-15-24, 02:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
All of fhe above can make a contribute

Pretty simple 32 spoke wheels will handle 230 lbs. I have been as high as 280 (225 now) and never had a problem with a good quality lugged steel frame and 32 spoke wheels

Old 01-15-24, 03:04 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
The Deacon's One Hoss Shay:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/4528...-h/45280-h.htm
Likes For tcs:
Old 01-15-24, 03:24 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Somewhere out there, someone has preserved a mid-1980's spec sheet from Columbus that specified the weight limits for their various tube sets (steel, of course). The only one I remember is their SL set, with a weight limit equivalent to about 180 lbs. I believe there was a size limit, too, with a recommendation that larger frames (58 cm and up?) be built with SP tubes rather than SL.

Seems low now, but almost of the people buying racing frames in those days were fit racers, probably averaging somewhat under 160 lbs. Even tall American racers tended to be slender enough to stay under the SL weight limit.
Old 01-15-24, 04:14 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I would say that rider skill and style has a lot to do with the weight limit for a particular bike or wheelset

are you skilled at dodging potholes ? Do you unweight over bumps ?

if the tubing says "limit 240 lb" and you weigh 239 does that mean it's OK ?

things to consider.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 01-15-24, 06:59 PM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
I would say that rider skill and style has a lot to do with the weight limit for a particular bike or wheelset

are you skilled at dodging potholes ? Do you unweight over bumps ?

if the tubing says "limit 240 lb" and you weigh 239 does that mean it's OK ?

things to consider.

/markp
Who doesn't unweight going over bumps? Simple arse preservation would make this instinctive, I would've thought...
Old 01-15-24, 08:20 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
The heavier the bike, the more it will carry. LOL Any SS or IGH can carry 350 lbs likely. They carry a passenger in Holland.
There was a size EA3 that is 590 mm. 1/4" more than a 650B/ 584. I switched one bike between these.
My custom tour bike with Rohloff14 laughs at 290 lbs.
Old 01-15-24, 08:51 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
Who doesn't unweight going over bumps? Simple arse preservation would make this instinctive, I would've thought...
The bicycle is still carrying the same amount of weight irrespective of where your rear happens to be at a specific moment.
Old 01-15-24, 09:04 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
By Lawyers
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-15-24, 11:27 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
By Lawyers
Especially considering that Trek, for example, says this for every mountain bike model they make

This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).
Carbon or aluminum, doesn’t matter. Somethin’ smells fishy here.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-16-24, 07:21 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
I think weight limits and the norms and standards necessary to have meaningful and comparable numbers is a fairly recent thing. I don't know how "vintage" you are talking about, but I seriously doubt that even if there was a weight limit given for a road bike from the 70s, that it would "mean" much. Without some certainty about how that number was arrived at, they don't mean much. Just the difference between a stationary and dynamic loading alone is critical.
Old 01-16-24, 08:20 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
The bicycle is still carrying the same amount of weight irrespective of where your rear happens to be at a specific moment.
I wan't commenting on the weight on the bike per se, just the impact on your arse. However, to address your comment, lifting one's arse converts your body weight from deadweight to sprung weight which is way easier on the bike. The weight on the bike doesn't change, but how the bike is allowed to move under that weight makes all the difference.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 01-16-24, 08:25 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
I wan't commenting on the weight on the bike per se, just the impact on your arse. However, to address your comment, lifting one's arse converts your body weight from deadweight to sprung weight which is way easier on the bike. The weight on the bike doesn't change, but how the bike is allowed to move under that weight makes all the difference.
Yes, I've seen frames destroyed because of this issue, particularly when the bike is on the small side and the seat is at max extension.
Old 01-16-24, 06:43 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Fortunately, my bike has a frangible link that breaks before the weight exceeds the machine's maximum load; me! Well before I get to a load that will break the bike, the load will break me, and I'll be lying there like an inverted turtle waiting desperately for help to get rightsideup again.
Old 01-16-24, 07:18 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
I have no clue about the answer to the original question. However, the premise of the question seems a little bit odd. I think that the frame/rims/tires should all support approximately the same weight. If one of those supports more weight than the others, then that component is overbuilt for the application.
Old 01-16-24, 09:55 PM
rogerm3d

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Every item on a bike that is loaded has it's own limits. My current mountain bike's frame is quite strong, probably wouldn't have any issues with a 200LB+ rider, but the wheels on the bike have a much lower weight limit. On the other end I had a road bike with really strong wheels but the frame was very light/flexible. My current road bike has a stiff frame and strong wheels but very light/flexible bars/stem so that is the weakest point
In the vintage era some items like SL tubing had semi official weight limits, but generally speaking there wasn't single big database of weight limits. Shops and riders with experience would often be holders of that knowledge just from what they had experience with worked with, broken. Most of my experience with that shop/rider knowledge had three levels: safe weight, it's light and flexy weight, and you will brake it weight. Depending on how you were riding you would make sacrifices in the weight. For touring you don't have room for failure, but for racing the weight advantage might be a risk you are willing to take (the reason you see all the vintage era drillium bikes for example)
Old 01-17-24, 04:32 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I would say both, particularly if you're talking about high performance "racing" stuff.
"You can have Strong, Light, or Cheap; Pick two" as the saying goes, but there's a point where minimizing weight will compromise absolute strength, regardless of cost.

Based on anecdotal evidence from here, and the cycling community at large; I'd say that entry level to mid range bikes tend to have lower quality wheels, and less optimized frames (overbuilt) so you see more wheel failures.

A higher end, high performance bike generally gets stronger, stiffer wheels, but that usually goes together with a lighter, more weight -optimized frame with less "reserve capacity" than a more budget bike. Couple that with the more strenuous use that the rider of such a bike is more likely to engage in and you're more likely to encounter frame damage, ironically, than an inexpensive bike (though pretty rare)
Old 01-17-24, 05:01 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I would say both, particularly if you're talking about high performance "racing" stuff.
"You can have Strong, Light, or Cheap; Pick two" as the saying goes, but there's a point where minimizing weight will compromise absolute strength, regardless of cost.
That's equivalent to "You can have cake, pie, or ice cream; pick two!" The choice is usually presented as "Strong, light, cheap; pick two."
Old 01-17-24, 05:11 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Based on anecdotal evidence from here, and the cycling community at large; I'd say that entry level to mid range bikes tend to have lower quality wheels, and less optimized frames (overbuilt) so you see more wheel failures.

A higher end, high performance bike generally gets stronger, stiffer wheels, but that usually goes together with a lighter, more weight -optimized frame with less "reserve capacity" than a more budget bike. Couple that with the more strenuous use that the rider of such a bike is more likely to engage in and you're more likely to encounter frame damage, ironically, than an inexpensive bike (though pretty rare)
Put another way, beginners break wheels. Experts crack their frames. Interesting stuff.
Old 01-17-24, 05:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Unless you're bunnyhopping.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-17-24, 06:23 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by genejockey
Unless you're bunnyhopping.
Bunnies pay the price for temporary levitation time in increased force with which they hit the ground when landing -
Old 01-17-24, 06:40 PM
Alan K

Even a less than high end wheel can do much better if they are maintained - periodic check to ensure that they are true and have even tension on spokes. Beginners usually do not check or adjust things for a variety of reasons, including not having confidence in their ability to do it correctly on their own. [I am thinking of one of my nieces.]
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-17-24, 06:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Bunnies pay the price for temporary levitation time in increased force with which they hit the ground when landing -
It's gentler than the expansion joints I'm hopping!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-17-24, 06:56 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Put another way, beginners break wheels. Experts crack their frames. Interesting stuff.
To put it this way; a super light carbon racing frame is still plenty strong, but it doesn’t have the “reserve capacity” of a less expensive alloy “sport” bike. You’re also more likely to be subjecting a race bike to more high performance, high stress use; you would be more likely to do something that would damage the frame, not that it actually happens more often

In practice though, with regards to the OP, it’s usually the wheels that are the weakest link; especially for less expensive bikes and heavier or less mechanically sympathetic riders.
Old 01-20-24, 10:10 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Somewhere out there, someone has preserved a mid-1980's spec sheet from Columbus that specified the weight limits for their various tube sets (steel, of course). The only one I remember is their SL set, with a weight limit equivalent to about 180 lbs. I believe there was a size limit, too, with a recommendation that larger frames (58 cm and up?) be built with SP tubes rather than SL.

Seems low now, but almost of the people buying racing frames in those days were fit racers, probably averaging somewhat under 160 lbs. Even tall American racers tended to be slender enough to stay under the SL weight limit.
Um, no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.