Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Generic Cat 5 Race Report

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 08:39 PM
EKO
Noob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I've been lurking around here for a while. Some good stuff (some not so good ). My cycling background went from commuting -> centuries -> racing. I've been racing since the middle of last summer. I did lots of training races with the local team and then did a crit that the team put on toward the end of summer. I ended up winning that one and had a blast, so I joined the team. Saturday was the first race of a busy season, so I figured I'd come out of the shadows. I got there with plenty of time to register/warm up and watched the 3/4 field. When it was time for the 5 field to line up, I only got one quick lap around the course and was thinking more of getting back to the start before the race started (everyone was lined up when I took off for my lap) than paying attention to the racing line or other important things.

So I get back to the start/finish just before the start. The field was ~20-30. I was the only one on my team. We get off to a decent pace, but slower than I was expecting. I just sat in for 3/4 of the first lap, but then I got impatient and decided to move up on the outside of turn 4. Then I ran out of road. I was leaning into the turn when I went off and dropped a few inches into the mud. From there my recollection is a little subjective. I low-sided and hit on my hip/shoulder. Toward the end I remember sliding on my head and thinking, "Damn, this must be trashing my helmet." Fortunately, I didn't take anyone else out. I get up and let the crowd know I wasn't too banged up (they were asking). A guy from the promoting team came over and helped me up. He helped me figure out which was was up and held the bike while I straightened out the bars. Since it was on the first lap, I could use a free lap. So I get back on and roll up to the start/finish.

I get back on as the peleton comes around again. The next lap was the prime lap, and I just sit in. My quick release on my rear brake was open, so I only had the front brake which made it a little touchy. We go around a few more times. Now it's the bell lap. I figure after all this, I need to make something happen. I see a hole and attack. By the time I tuck back down and look back, I've got maybe 75-100 yards of separation. I start questioning my decision at this point. Either I'm going to hold it off or finish DFL. By the time I get past my lucky turn and am coming up to the start/finish, I still have ~50 yards on the field. I try to sprint to the finish, but my legs weren't having it so I just stay in the saddle and hammer it to the line. Since this was a points race and I didn't contest the sprint lap, I placed second even though I finished first. Meh, I had fun.

Here's a pic I found of my rear wheel about 0.015s before touchdown. No one managed to get the actual wipeout on camera.

And here's one I found of the finish. Air scoop is fully deployed. Notice how my left side is a little askew.
https://www.photoshelter.com/c/kimmor...000t1DnyGsS9YA
Old 03-01-10, 09:21 PM
bassic wilson

Bikes: '89 Cannondale R700 ,'10 BH G5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a nice rally!