Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

For fitness does the bike really matter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

For fitness does the bike really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-22, 10:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by Virtus
The only comfort issue I have on my hybrid is my arms start to really fatigue when I get to 45-50 minutes of "hard" riding. I put on a set of Ergon GP3 grips which helps but they're still wider than ideal I think.
I find a well set up drop bar bike a lot more comfortable. BUT the key is that it does have to be well set up. If's not just slapping a drop bar on a bike with a flat bar. When you do that, you'll be all stretched out and spend all your time on the tops.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-20-22, 11:14 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
The only comfort issue I have on my hybrid is my arms start to really fatigue when I get to 45-50 minutes of "hard" riding. I put on a set of Ergon GP3 grips which helps but they're still wider than ideal I think.
I can well imagine. I have almost no tolerance for straight bars. I own a couple, but use them as tools for additional leverage on hex key wrenches.

OTOH, North Road style touring bars with a long stem, grips, flat bar levers and wrapped forward of the brake levers are my preferred bar for riding SS on our trails. They give a better and more useful overall mix of seated and standing riding positions than drop bars. It ends up being a lot like the posture on a Jones bike. YMMV.

Otto
Old 02-20-22, 11:50 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by silverider
It all boils down to heart rate. For cardio workout take 220- your age. Approximately 70 - 80% of that number is your target range. Get a good fitness watch like an Apple or Fitbit and you'll know---whatever bike you're on....tht you are getting the best "fitness" workout.
This useless formula should be made illegal. For me it's about 25 bpm too low.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-20-22, 11:58 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3957 Post(s)
Liked 7,310 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You're looking at it all wrong. Re-write it as "Age = 220 - Max HR". So, in your case, you're 25 years younger!
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-20-22, 12:16 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You're looking at it all wrong. Re-write it as "Age = 220 - Max HR". So, in your case, you're 25 years younger!
I like it, I'm sold!
Old 02-20-22, 12:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by silverider
It all boils down to heart rate. For cardio workout take 220- your age. Approximately 70 - 80% of that number is your target range. Get a good fitness watch like an Apple or Fitbit and you'll know---whatever bike you're on....tht you are getting the best "fitness" workout.

No. And literally nothing to do with the thread.

The two year old cyclist has a really high target rate, btw.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-20-22 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-20-22, 12:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I think 220 is one of those numbers that "everybody knows" but actually have no basis in fact, like the number of glasses of water you should drink in a day.

​​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-20-22, 05:19 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
I take it there are not many hills where you live then.
No, pretty much none. The only climbing I do is up onto bridge decks, which are short and usually not very steep. I usually only get about 300-400m of climbing per 100km at most. Obviously if there were more hills here I might feel differently about the weight of my bike.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 02-21-22, 11:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by The Chemist
No, pretty much none. The only climbing I do is up onto bridge decks, which are short and usually not very steep. I usually only get about 300-400m of climbing per 100km at most. Obviously if there were more hills here I might feel differently about the weight of my bike.

Also if you have to carry the bike upstairs.
Old 02-21-22, 12:21 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
In this case a heavier bike would be better because it would give you a better workout while carrying it upstairs...I've carried my 28 pound bike up to the 12th floor of my high rise building where I live several times already. Some days I purposely skip the elevator and take the stairs just to get an extra workout.
Old 02-21-22, 12:33 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wolfchild
In this case a heavier bike would be better because it would give you a better workout while carrying it upstairs...I've carried my 28 pound bike up to the 12th floor of my high rise building where I live several times already. Some days I purposely skip the elevator and take the stairs just to get an extra workout.

Mazel tov. Personally, I just find the extra weight on the bike just makes it more awkward to carry on the stairs, the few additional pounds are not enough of a difference in workload as to get any weightlifting benefit.

Would tying a dead truck battery to the bike make it an even better workout?
Old 02-22-22, 03:33 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That too. I live on the 24th floor so I always take the elevator and never have to carry the bike, so that's not an issue for me at all.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 02-22-22, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Or, as The Older Boy just said, "Cut my pizza in 6 slices not 8. I can't eat 8 slices of pizza."
Total flashback to when I was in law school. I called to order a pizza for me and the GF. I had never ordered from the place so I asked how large a large pizza was. The woman on the phone told me 8 slices.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-22-22, 07:35 AM
Michellemayer

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
For most people, yes, the bike matters.

Yes, a half hour of effort on bike A is approximately equal to a half hour of similar effort on bike B, regardless of the bikes. The limiting factor is how often you are motivated to get out and ride. A slow, heavy, malfunctioning, bike, or a bike that is inappropriate for the type of ride, or a bike that is uncomfortable for the rider will leave the rider less likely to be motivated to go out next time.

For instance, if you are motivated by the feeling of high speed and carving highspeed downhill corners on a mountain road, a cruiser bike with soft 2.2" tires will not be very satisfying.
If you are motivated by the challenge of extreme technical terrain and rocky trails, a skinny tired road bike will not be satisfying.
If you are motivated by challenging yourself to ride long distances on mountain roads, a fat bike with 4.8" tires with steel studs will not be satisfying.
Finally, if you are motivated by a relaxing cruise and comfy upright position, a hardcore road racing bike will not be satisfying.

And the main result of being unsatisfied is that you are less likely to go out and ride again.

Of course, everyone is different, and some people are exercise junkies who delight in putting out massive efforts simply for the endorphins or 'exercise bliss' and the type of riding is irrelevant, but if that's not you, it's best to match your bike to the type of riding that will keep you motivated, and keep the bike in good condition so your aren't losing energy to square bearings and a rusty chain.

Please note this does not mean that you need an expensive or fancy bike, just a properly maintained bike suited for the type of riding you wish to do. An old 10 speed from the 1970s with good tires and properly maintained moving parts will be 99% as satisfying as a new $3000 carbon fibre road bike, and a full rigid vintage or single speed mountain bike provides a similar technical challenge to a full suspension mountain bike, if a bit slower.

Também acho que a bike é super importante.
Ótimo texto. Informaçơes muito importantes.
Parabéns!
Old 02-22-22, 09:18 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Michellemayer
Também acho que a bike é super importante.
Ótimo texto. Informaçơes muito importantes.
Parabéns!
Eu năo falo português entăo tive que usar o Google Translate, tanto para entender o que você escreveu, quanto para escrever essa resposta.
Old 02-23-22, 02:47 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
In my opinion, get a bike that you like and better yet, get a bike that you REALLY enjoy riding. I don't mean a bike that's smooth ride, light carbon fiber, responsive, cool looking and all of that stuff. Those things might be important, but for me, the most important thing is find a bike that I can't wait to ride every day!

I have two: a Wabi Special and a Kona Cinder Cone (slightly customized with high-end Shimano). I also have a third bike that's very cool, very fast but is not quite as smooth and not "easy" to ride. It's like an unforgiving sports car. I have to focus like a laser riding it. As a result, it doesn't get ridden much.
Old 02-26-22, 10:12 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 5,652 Times in 2,924 Posts
For fitness, all you need is a jump rope and 15 minutes a day. An excellent cardio, impact workout. Forget the bike since ropes are so low maintenance.

Old 02-28-22, 10:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
So many on the forum tell us they are "training". If that is true why not ride a rather inexpensive heavy bike. Why ride a light weight $10,000 bike?
Old 02-28-22, 10:32 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
So many on the forum tell us they are "training". If that is true why not ride a rather inexpensive heavy bike. Why ride a light weight $10,000 bike?
After seven pages, I don't think we need you to restate the original question.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-28-22, 10:34 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
A ‘bent rider would not fully understand this but I will try. I ride the bike I train on because my body is trained to that particular frame. Now, to address your progressive training issue...simple. I up the intensity in several different ways. Tires, wheels, HILLS, sprints etc etc etc.
Old 02-28-22, 10:41 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
A ‘bent rider would not fully understand this but I will try. I ride the bike I train on because my body is trained to that particular frame. Now, to address your progressive training issue...simple. I up the intensity in several different ways. Tires, wheels, HILLS, sprints etc etc etc.
On the contrary, a newbie bent rider learns that lesson instantly.

As an aside, I never worry about mine being stolen. Nobody could ride it.
Old 02-28-22, 10:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Why ride a light weight $10,000 bike?
Because we look sexier on $10k bikes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-28-22, 10:46 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Because one trains with a performance objective and the rider/machine is system. It could as simple as being able to climb with your old Pals on the C- ride. However, fitness is simply about watts and weight. That can be achieved on 50 pound stationary bike.
Old 02-28-22, 12:17 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'm going to throw a curveball at this one..........the TT bike. Folks always think it's a matter of "open wallet, go faster". Truth be told, without ever training on one, most folks can't hold the posture and sit up and eat wind. Or they cannot make the same power hunched over.

So, yeah, there is a fitness factor to bike choice when it comes to that specific bike. I'd guess there might be also for a recumbent.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-28-22, 12:17 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses; I didn't expect this to get as much attention as it has ha.

Just for a little background, I recently got an Instep bike trailer from a neighbor which I've been pulling my kids around the neighborhood on my old mountain bike. I got tired of the mountain bike "slog" so bought a Trek FX hybrid. I don't have much experience with road cycling but have started taking some solo fitness rides (nothing over an hour yet) and have really enjoyed it.

Just got me thinking if transitioning to a true road bike at some point in the future would provide any benefits I couldn't get on the FX; other than the obvious of being able to go faster/farther for a given ride time. I've got decent baseline fitness (I play hockey, row, and lift) but I'm far from a cyclists build at 220lbs. Also, my FX is red so I've got that going for me
if you are asking if you should buy another bike
there can only be one answer
in fact I think the main issue with your original post is
you only list four bikes, I can't imagine only having four bikes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.