Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Litespeed failure

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Litespeed failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 09:19 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
While it 'might' be repairable I'd wonder on the cost of repair versus the age/wear and tear/etc. on a '90's frame.
I'd look into replacing the bike.
Old 12-28-23, 10:13 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Appears to me the bike has served Queen and Country. Onward to a replacement.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-28-23, 10:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
"Titanium is incompatible with fluorides, strong reducing acids, very strong caustic solutions, and anhydrous chlorine." So any cleaner with chlorine should not be used.

: Mike
No. Anhydrous chlorine is very different from cleaners with “chlorine” in them. The “chlorine” in cleaners is some salt of chlorine and has no effect on titanium. The other stuff on the list isn’t something that anyone will encounter outside of chemical plants.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-28-23, 10:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
Also noticed the crud under and rear of the fork crown. What's it consist of?
Some states in the Winter use calcium chloride. Chloride comes from chlorine. Riding in that environment and into early Spring, putting the bike away without cleaning can cause long term issues. Titanium isn't 'all cracked up to be'.
Again, no. According to this document from Titanium Metals Corporation:

Chlorine and chlorine compounds in aqueous solution are not corrosive toward titanium because of their strongly oxidizing natures. Titanium is unique among metals in handling these environments.
Additionally, while chloride ions does indeed come from reactions of chlorine with various other elements, that changes the properties of the chemical significantly. Chlorine is a deadly poison…mostly because it is highly reactive…but sodium chloride is an essential mineral for life.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-28-23, 10:35 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
At this point I have seen too many titanium and carbon failures to ever want a bike made from those materials. Guess I'll stick with my steel classics.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 12-28-23, 10:42 AM
purpurite

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Classic Ti, 1960 Frejus Supercorsa, 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, 2001 Cannondale F700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
At this point I have seen too many titanium and carbon failures to ever want a bike made from those materials. Guess I'll stick with my steel classics.
You must not live in the rust belt.
Likes For purpurite:
Old 12-28-23, 11:08 AM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
A warranty is a warranty, if the manufacturer doesn't see fit to honour theirs, they shouldn't offer it in the first place. I agree that that frame is now a wall hanger. Maybe Hambini would be interested in cutting it up and having a look?
Old 12-28-23, 11:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
It was very superficial. The OP's bike is 3/2.5, not 6/4. Litespeed used 6/4 on only some upper end models.

This thread is full of bad science and consumer philosophy, but these are the basic facts of this failure:
1. It was caused by a bad weld. Regardless of where the crack propagated to, it started at a contaminated weld point. It really doesn't matter what shape the crack is. Like galvanic corrosion on a carbon bike, the welds shouldn't do this and it is from a defect in construction.
2. Good titanium welds don't crack. The welds should be the strongest part of the bike. It doesn't matter how long it takes - a 49cm bike isn't stressed very much and sits more than it gets ridden. The same contaminated weld would have only lasted a powerful Cat1 racer riding a 60cm one season. These bikes are made of aircraft hydraulic tubing - do you think TWA would be okay with random cracks in their flight control systems?
3. Titanium used in bikes (3/2.5 or 6/4) is twice as flexible as steel. While steel bikes of normal construction will wear out with enough riding (usually the right chainstay near the BB goes first), titanium is very hard to wear out because the frame never flexes into the plastic deformation zone.
4. "Lifetime warranty" is not marketing - it was built into the cost of these not-inexpensive bikes. In the mid-90s the base level Litespeed bare frames were $1500, and a complete Catalyst bike was $3300 in 1996 with Ultegra and alloy rims. You paid for that lifetime warranty, and Litespeed would rather not have people talking about bad welds instead of good customer service.

If Lightspeed makes excuses and won't honor the warranty, find another one. I have bought many of this era Ti frames and bikes for bargain prices because I ride a 50cm and those smaller sizes always go for less. Recently I picked up a Douglas Ti bike complete for $500.
You know TWA went out of business decades ago, right?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-28-23, 11:51 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Similarly anecdotally, I’ve seen tons of steel frame failures and also tons of intact, hard-ridden carbon and TI frames. Perhaps there are other factors than just frame material to consider?
Likes For bboy314:
Old 12-28-23, 11:56 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by genejockey
You know TWA went out of business decades ago, right?
TWA might have been so lax in the Icahn era… a once proud airline.

what I find amazing is that even today, airliners are allowed to fly with inop systems, such as thrust reversers…
‘My sister doing an enroute guided the pilot to call up a different aircraft, they were heading to Burbank, short runway, they were going to be “heavy” also.
suggested divert to Ontario as the runway was thousands of feet longer.
He took the hint, even with a fully operational aircraft, the pilot was not up on the latest approach guidelines, high then drop in fast due to noise.
they made a late touchdown, going too fast, E ticket braking, exited the runway at the last turnout, just before the breakable concrete designed to keep the aircraft from crossing Hollywood Way.
had they been on the original plane, would have made the evening news.
Old 12-28-23, 12:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
TWA might have been so lax in the Icahn era… a once proud airline.

what I find amazing is that even today, airliners are allowed to fly with inop systems, such as thrust reversers…
‘My sister doing an enroute guided the pilot to call up a different aircraft, they were heading to Burbank, short runway, they were going to be “heavy” also.
suggested divert to Ontario as the runway was thousands of feet longer.
He took the hint, even with a fully operational aircraft, the pilot was not up on the latest approach guidelines, high then drop in fast due to noise.
they made a late touchdown, going too fast, E ticket braking, exited the runway at the last turnout, just before the breakable concrete designed to keep the aircraft from crossing Hollywood Way.
had they been on the original plane, would have made the evening news.
Having been on commercial airplanes landing at BUR more times than I can possibly recall, “E-Ticket braking” seems to be standard operating procedure.
Old 12-28-23, 12:47 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Having been on commercial airplanes landing at BUR more times than I can possibly recall, “E-Ticket braking” seems to be standard operating procedure.
Nice segue! Titanium bike frame to BUR (Burbank). ie. Skunkworks, SR-71, U-2
Old 12-28-23, 01:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
While it 'might' be repairable I'd wonder on the cost of repair versus the age/wear and tear/etc. on a '90's frame.
I'd look into replacing the bike.
Flip side. A repair might require 4 oz of titanium and a bunch of ecologically cheap labor. Landfilling that frame and getting a "new" one might mean that another 2 pounds of titanium are mined, smelted, formed, cut and welded. That frame did fail at the most stressed part of the frame. Yes, where the most attention should be applied when welding, not "nobody is going to see my stacked dimes here". But if a substantial repair can be made, it is a decent bet that the frame could go on to many more good miles of life. Or that the next failure is at a place of simple fix. And one of the beauties of ti frames is that the fix is so easy to make look good. Brush out with the appropriate emery cloth. Done.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-28-23, 02:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Loving this thread for all the common BF reasons. Its like 3 separate threads on the same topic were merged.
- Warranty is denied, but a ton of responses say to warranty the frame.
- A small cosmetic imperfection from plastic rubbing is asked about and answered, then asked about again.
- The same people are suggested over and over like its the first time the name is mentioned, making it seem like people didnt even read the thread before responding.
- Random claims of chemical corrosion made an appearance.
- The claim that with documented damage like this to titanium and carbon, steel is preferred also made an appearance. Good thing steel frames havent broken yet.**

OP- that is super frustrating to see as a viewer, I cant imagine as the owner. You look at it and think 'it wasnt abused, what happened?!'. Hopefully it at least got a lot of use before the temporary retirement.
Old 12-28-23, 06:06 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
I missed in the OP that the warranty was denied. Because of the lack of receipt? Would your credit card company have the purchase? (I have credit card accounts that old.)
Old 12-29-23, 06:27 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
On the general issue of warranty limits this recently happened:

I was walking along a local beach and found a Zippo buried in a pile of seaweed.
It had been lost quite some time.
I mailed it to them.
They sent it back, "...too corroded to fix - here's a new one."
Likes For oneclick:
Old 12-29-23, 07:23 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The current high-end steels, such as Reynolds 953 and the Columbus equivalents, used in astronomically priced frames are harder and stronger than the previous premium steel formulations, a.k.a. more brittle.
I don't believe this is correct. What I found when last I had a frame made we looked at the ductility of Reynolds 953 vs Reynolds 853 and it had a much higher elongation % than 853 therefor is less "brittle" as elongation is a measure of ductility in metals, the plastic deformation it can take prior to failure.
Old 12-29-23, 10:33 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick

I was walking along a local beach and found a Zippo buried in a pile of seaweed.
I mailed it to them.
That's impressive!
Some companies really do emphasize that sort of customer service. I've had good results with my Victorinox (a.k.a. Swiss Army) knives that have scissors. The spring design has a tight bend and will eventually break. I've had three cases where I've contacted them and asked for replacement springs. They've always sent out new ones, and I've been able to push out the old one and install the new one. It's nice to be able to keep a 20 year old knife fully functional!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-29-23, 10:50 AM
pbekkerh
Likes special bikes

Bikes: Solio 1910, Colnago Sprint 1986, Nehan TT 1989, Bianchi Mercatone Uno 1999, Boreas Aër Roadbike 2003, Canondale six13 2004, Ghost SE7000 MTB 2009, Bike Friday Tikit Hyperfold 2011, PlanetX Excocet II 2014 White Fatbike 2021,

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick

I mailed it to them.
MeToo. I got a new internal for my Zippo and a new Knife for 1 broken tool.
Old 12-29-23, 10:52 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Lynskey has some real deals right now if so inclined. Frames start at $1,050 and 20% off retail prices.
Old 12-29-23, 11:05 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Lynskey has some real deals right now if so inclined. Frames start at $1,050 and 20% off retail prices.
two unrelated folk had trouble with new ones just prior the pandemic. They both got refunds but the tear down, then rebuild costs on different frames were a bite.
Old 12-29-23, 11:07 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
The guy in the Snap-on truck replaced the internal gear on my 40 year old 3/8 ratchet even though I'd broken it using a cheater pipe on the handle.
Old 12-29-23, 11:54 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
Nice segue! Titanium bike frame to BUR (Burbank). ie. Skunkworks, SR-71, U-2
@Brett, there was the "Mouse House" too, how bout that ? I worked there. No comment.

I have a titanium / carbon Serotta that is a very fine bike however I worry about the bonding as this frame is now 20+ years old.

Ultimately just about anything can fail and the failures are more common and sooner if light weight takes precedence over reliability as a design consideration.

Which isn't going to make me avoid lightweight bikes, but maybe inspect them more carefully ? There are lots of reports of frame failures in carbon frames and handlebars.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 12-29-23 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-29-23, 12:28 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
@Brett, there was the "Mouse House" too, how bout that ? I worked there. No comment.

My favorite genre of aviation…ohhh, only if we could chat. I could listen for all the time it took to hear it all….

—turning wrenches on stuff that flies since 1987

p.s. Did you ever get to meet Kelly?
Old 12-29-23, 12:30 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
To pah the OP, I've been a custom framebuilder for almost 50 years. That includes being a fitter to know how to design a custom frame off of their position. During that time almost half my customers were women. What I can tell you from looking at the picture of her setup on her beloved Litespeed is that her racing position on that bike is not what she will now find optimum over 25 years later - especially if she has back issues. Most women in the middle of their life would prefer having their handlebars at least as high as their saddle. The Dura Ace stem on her bike can not be raised high enough. The amount of drop she has now is way more than most could tolerate. Take this opportunity to improve her bicycle. I recommend finding a fitter with an adjustable fitting bicycle that can find what position works best for her now and will for the next 10 years. And once you know her position you can find the frame that matches that position and will work best for her now and in the future. It will be a challenge but a good challenge.

The Lynski brothers that started Litespeed sold the business and waited 5 years until they could start their own ti frame business again. I wouldn't waste any time, emotional effort or money trying to fix her old frame. If for some reason you went that route I would recommend sending it to the ti business the Lynski brothers now own. But why waste the money on something that isn't optimum anymore? I can tell you there are real complications to making a frame for small women. I don't want to get into the weeds on solutions if that isn't the route you want to go. If Cycling is important to her, get what works best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.