Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Litespeed failure

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Litespeed failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 11:59 AM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by bOsscO
And to piggy-back off both of you, Naked Bikes are producing gorgeous Ti road bikes on an island in the PNW; https://www.nakedbicycles.com/road
Sam Wittingham is the frame builder. You may recognize his name as he holds several world cycling records; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Whittingham
Wow! Lovely frames.

Quadra Island is out there for sure.
Old 01-03-24, 12:13 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
One of the considerations in establishing the length of a warrenty is choosing the strength of the materials that will be used. Companies would obviously error on the side of strength to avoid the problems of a frame breaking. An example is the Chicago made Schwinn Paramounts (the ones before 1978 with chromed Nervex pro lugs). I’ve repaired/repainted them and the Reynolds markings on the tubes were 19/22. That is wire gauge and when translated is approximately 1.0/.7/1.0mm wall thickness. In other words the heaviest standard tubing Reynolds made at the time. That is perfect for a loaded touring bike or when a rider is 250 pounds or more but they ride like trucks compared to the lighter tubing I prefer to use when I make a frame for myself.

I vastly prefer the ride of frame that has a wall thickness of .7/.4/.7mm in the main tubes. I prefer the quality of that ride more than the titanium frames I’ve made. That is why I quite making ti frames. I recognize other opinions may differ and have preferences that vary from mine. This is why we don’t all choose the same color. I’m 5’ 8” (at least I was) and on the light side so my tubing preference for what works best for me would not work best for someone bigger. But that is the thing about making a custom steel frame. I can choose the diameter, wall thickness, tubing hardness and even where I place the butts to tune the frame to the ride quality i'm trying to achieve.

The problem with a frame made that light is that it is not as durable. It is much easier for bad things to happen when not “just riding along”. And steel rusts and if not properly addressed on a routine basis, can rust through in places like the underside of the chain stays. So establishing a warranty based on material choice can be tricky.

The OP’s wife is shorter and weighs a lot less than most. That is why I was suggesting a custom design might work best for her. What satisfies the accounts and lawyers might not her.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 01-03-24, 12:33 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,711 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by seagrade
True. But just as often the most ironic posts were never intended as such by the author…
Now that's ironic.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-03-24, 01:56 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Now that's ironic.
The forum has been seeing much-renewed interest in nicely-built Huffies, Varsities and such.
Was the sub-$100 build-off thread what kicked it off?

2024 is looking to be the most ironic year here to date.
Old 01-04-24, 11:06 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Hmm, I had no idea so much was going on in my backyard on Quadra.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 01-22-24, 06:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Circling back here to reboot this cluster, a couple more days and our buddy will be back.

Standby
Old 01-22-24, 08:15 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=tit...=v405-1&ia=web
Old 01-22-24, 08:30 PM
merziac

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/litespe...rranty.672374/
Old 01-22-24, 10:58 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The forum has been seeing much-renewed interest in nicely-built Huffies, Varsities and such.
One can only hope, since there is more to come

Old 01-28-24, 03:49 AM
merziac

Soooo, I'm back, again.

Couple of smaller examples of doing the right thing that Litespeed could learn from.

First one, Pedro's chain tool, original Tutto, never worked perfect but was ok.

Last couple of chains I did with it were hard to get back together, drive pin pushing off center.

No receipt or info where, when purchased.

A couple emails and some spare parts that didn't fix it and they sent me a new $149 Tutto II no charge and keep the spare parts and old one too.

They made good on "Lifetime Guaranty" when they didn't have too.

Next up, ORP horn/light made here in PDX, I did the Kickstart 12 years ago, the silicone strap broke, reached out to Tory, went to see him, he replaced it and gave me some other spare parts for later, also no charge.

Orp, Bob and Merz.

Last edited by merziac; 01-30-24 at 12:03 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-28-24, 03:05 PM
merziac

And another thing.

Quite awhile back I had a Lezyne tail light that intermittently won't turn off.

Reached out and they sent a new one, no charge, no questions asked and no receipt, pics or proof of purchase.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-28-24, 03:18 PM
merziac

Other bike industry vendors. 3

Litespeed 0 for this round.

Old 01-28-24, 03:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
not arguing that indeed there may indeed be a finite service life, the critical question is was at the time of the original sale a definition of “lifetime”? And of course, was it communicated in writing?

I have had good luck with minor products, a Cygnolite (sp) headlight had its switch cover go AWOL, I emailed to purchase a new pliable switch cover. They sent a service part straightaway gratis.

big ticket items are a problem especially with small firms. I see both sides, they may not have the capital reserves to support all the potential claims. It does and should give a consumer pause regarding a purchase.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-28-24, 04:06 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by repechage
not arguing that indeed there may indeed be a finite service life, the critical question is was at the time of the original sale a definition of “lifetime”? And of course, was it communicated in writing?

I have had good luck with minor products, a Cygnolite (sp) headlight had its switch cover go AWOL, I emailed to purchase a new pliable switch cover. They sent a service part straightaway gratis.

big ticket items are a problem especially with small firms. I see both sides, they may not have the capital reserves to support all the potential claims. It does and should give a consumer pause regarding a purchase.
Exactly this, the average and often even the very savvy consumer sees "Lifetime Guaranty" and thinks its all good high water mark only to find out how narrow it can be when something goes wrong.

In Litespeeds case it is clearly a smoke and mirrors, bait and switch IMO.

Simple as that to me, they have taken advantage of theirs customers good trusting nature more often than not.

So they should quit using it as a hook or get it far more right so its much less of a problem for their loyal buyers.

Old 01-28-24, 04:43 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
The current warranty for Craftsman Tools reads as follows: "If the product fails to perform for any reason, we will replace it. No proof of purchase required." Sounds great right? The only problem is that they will only replace it with the exact same item. Here's the catch, they don't make the exact same models anymore, so the old screw driver you busted won't be replaced because they don't make that one anymore. They won't give you a similar one because it's well, different! Ask me how I found this out. There is a way to wiggle out of any guarantee if they want to!
Old 01-28-24, 04:57 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
The current warranty for Craftsman Tools reads as follows: "If the product fails to perform for any reason, we will replace it. No proof of purchase required." Sounds great right? The only problem is that they will only replace it with the exact same item. Here's the catch, they don't make the exact same models anymore, so the old screw driver you busted won't be replaced because they don't make that one anymore. They won't give you a similar one because it's well, different! Ask me how I found this out. There is a way to wiggle out of any guarantee if they want to!
Yep, all in a days work.

That guaranty may be why Craftsman has become a foot note, they haven't been good tools for a long time and I got plenty of good use from them at home.

Just don't ever try to make a living with them.

Many/most folks know the Craftsman story by now, they haven't been a premiere brand for decades, Litespeed on the other hand sells itself as just that but doesn't prove that like they should and regularly pulls the technical card when they should just step up, do the right thing and take care of the customer that put their faith and $$$$$$ in a false sense of quality.

Shame on them, maybe they modeled their guaranty after Craftsman.
Old 01-29-24, 09:22 AM
dphi 

Bikes: Motorola Merckx, '72 Paramount, '72 PX-10, CF Hill

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Yeah, on the second page of that thread somebody posted the archived link of their warranty at the time (2001) and it read quite differently than the current warranty language, which Litespeed used to justify not honoring it. There was also no language in the warranty stating that terms may be changed in the future.
Old 01-30-24, 11:07 AM
pah

Bikes: 84 Colnago Super, early 70's cinelli supercorsa pista, Cyclops Pista, specialized team stumpjumper, Klein Quantum II

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Thanx for those links, quite a pictures of a failure in the same location. I would bet that they have never once honored their lifetime warranty, especially since the company changed owners.
Likes For pah:
Old 01-30-24, 12:14 PM
pah

Bikes: 84 Colnago Super, early 70's cinelli supercorsa pista, Cyclops Pista, specialized team stumpjumper, Klein Quantum II

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Facebook ad

So an ad for litespeed popped up on my feed today so of course I had to reply….

Last edited by pah; 01-30-24 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 01-30-24, 04:23 PM
aland2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
A sleeve and epoxy should fix it.
Old 01-30-24, 09:23 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Here are some insights from a top (perhaps, the top) BMX frame builder about titanium and even steel frames. He talks about the forces in BMX. We also have to keep in mind that even road bikes experience potholes, and getting torqued by the rider when sprinting or climbing. This part of the discussion starts at the 20 minute mark, however, the whole video is interesting, at least to me, as it establishes who Mike Laird is (I had no idea), how he came into frame building and how he became one of the top BMX custom frame builders. In case you skip the first 20 minutes, he built frames for Olympic Champion BMX riders.

Old 01-30-24, 10:44 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Other bike industry vendors. 3

Litespeed 0 for this round.

An expensive chain tool, a tail light, and a horn/light. Probably costing about $50, $5, and $20 to manufacture. I wish it were possible to name items replaced under warranty, no receipt on hand, no questions asked, that cost a small business as much to manufacture and market as a titanium bike frame costs Litespeed, but I can't think of any.

As I pointed out much earlier in this thread, Schwinn pioneered the lifetime frame warranty to promote their then-new electro-forged frames. Before long, if a company had any hope of competing in the U.S. bike market, they had to (reluctantly, no doubt) follow suit. Great for Schwinn (for a while), difficult for smaller companies whose business depends on selling high-end, lightweight bikes.

Finally, sure, I'd be annoyed if my 25-year-old Litespeed suffered what looks like an open-and-shut warranty-worthy failure, but I'd understand that my not having held on to the receipt would be on me.

From Lightspeed's point of view, the original purchaser paid for the warranty - that's one of the reasons you buy a new bike. The only way I can demonstrate that I was the original purchaser would be for me to produce the receipt. If I can't do that and go on to bad-mouth Litespeed on the internet (which the OP hasn't done, you'll notice), that's just part of the cost of doing business for Litespeed. They've stayed afloat for several decades, so the way they do business has been working for them.
Likes For Trakhak: