Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This is why not to use white lithium grease

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-10, 10:37 PM
vladvm

Bikes: Bianchi, Specialized, Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Background

I repacked my headset with white lithium grease (spray on) two weeks ago. It says on the label waterproof. It says good for vehicles, home and bicycle use. I bought it from Canadian tire. Put it back together and the steering was perfect.

Then I head out for Sunday ride, little dusting of snow on the ground, it was -4C but no big deal. Went for a 50km ride.

The bike got a little dirty so I took a watering can and filled it with water and used it to rinse the crap off the bike and components. No pressure, just good old gravity, and water out the spout. Wiped the bike dry and hung it in the garage.

A week later, I decided to go out again on a Sunday ride, re-lubed the chain and components and I was good to go, went for a shorter ride since it was snowing a little, and bit windy, about 35km ride. I felt that the steering was a little off.

Got home and rinsed the bike again. Hung to dry.

So tonight I decided to bring in the bike and put on the trainer in basement. As I was carrying it down the steps, I noticed the fork remained pointed straight. The steering was tight!

Took the headset apart to see what was going on and his is what I saw.

See link https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/5250162...83267/sizes/m/
Old 12-14-10, 11:59 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vladvm
Background

I repacked my headset with white lithium grease (spray on) two weeks ago. It says on the label waterproof. It says good for vehicles, home and bicycle use. I bought it from Canadian tire. Put it back together and the steering was perfect.

Then I head out for Sunday ride, little dusting of snow on the ground, it was -4C but no big deal. Went for a 50km ride.

The bike got a little dirty so I took a watering can and filled it with water and used it to rinse the crap off the bike and components. No pressure, just good old gravity, and water out the spout. Wiped the bike dry and hung it in the garage.

A week later, I decided to go out again on a Sunday ride, re-lubed the chain and components and I was good to go, went for a shorter ride since it was snowing a little, and bit windy, about 35km ride. I felt that the steering was a little off.

Got home and rinsed the bike again. Hung to dry.

So tonight I decided to bring in the bike and put on the trainer in basement. As I was carrying it down the steps, I noticed the fork remained pointed straight. The steering was tight!

Took the headset apart to see what was going on and his is what I saw.

See link https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/5250162...83267/sizes/m/
Nah.. That's why you don't use spray on grease. The stuff evaporates to nothing! Regular grease (including white lithium) from out of a tub or tube doesn't have that problem.
Old 12-15-10, 12:05 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
After thorough cleaning, you'll want to really pack that bearing good with grease. A little grease should squish out when you put your fork back in the frame.

Make sure any seals are properly oriented also.

Say nay to spray.

Here's a video.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 12-15-10 at 12:24 AM.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-15-10, 08:21 AM
vladvm

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
Nah.. That's why you don't use spray on grease. The stuff evaporates to nothing! Regular grease (including white lithium) from out of a tub or tube doesn't have that problem.
You are probably right. The spray-on ones start bubbling and gets thick, but I guess there is not enough grease... it's just full of aerosol.

I did repack with proper bike bearing grease. All is good now.
Likes For vladvm:
Old 12-15-10, 08:22 AM
vladvm

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
After thorough cleaning, you'll want to really pack that bearing good with grease. A little grease should squish out when you put your fork back in the frame.

Make sure any seals are properly oriented also.

Say nay to spray.

Here's a video.
Yeah, I used proper bike bearing grease this time to repack the headset. I made sure it was oozing, and I just wiped the excess off.
Old 12-15-10, 12:11 PM
Bikewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using standard automotive (white lithium) grease for years. I rebuild and re-sell 10-12 bikes a year, and use it for all bearing applications. Never a problem.

Best grease I ever had they don't make any more; some sort of super-synthetic stuff I got at the Schwinn dealer. Only bad thing was it smelled awful! Looked like red toothpaste....
Old 12-15-10, 12:45 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I didn't even know they made 'spray on grease'. Perhaps I need to get out more.

Anyhow, I've used white lithium grease for years with no problems. These days however, my grease of choice is automotive wheel bearing grease from my local hardware.
Likes For Louis:
Old 12-15-10, 01:43 PM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
And so now you know, that all greases are not chemically or "weather" resistant.

What I usually use for grease if there's no instructions for anything specific is silicone grease, since it doesn't cause problems with swelling rubber or plastic, and won't harm paint or other decorative coatings.

Grease is a liquid lubricant base with a solid (powder) thickener added. With cheaper greases the liquid will run off over time, leaving only the chunky solid stuff that doesn't lubricate. Super-Lube is one brand of silicone grease that is particularly resistant to separating. https://www.super-lube.com/

Super-Lube already contains some Teflon powder--the lowest-friction material there is--but if you want you can buy your own Teflon powder and add as much as you want.
For that matter,,, Teflon powder can be added into just about any other lubricant you want, since it is essentially chemically inert and there's no danger of it reacting with other lubricants. ***
Spurlock tools (online) sells it. https://www.spurlocktools.com/id39.htm
~

***(two things you should NOT add teflon powder to is the crankcase oil of piston engines, or any machinery that incorporates a lubricant filter)
Likes For Doug5150:
Old 12-15-10, 02:19 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I've seen white grease get gummy with age. Some Shimano shifters came lubed with the stuff from the factory. When they stop working, time to take them apart & clean all traces out. Using moly-d grease for everything now. Too bad, the convenience of spray grease is nice.
Old 12-15-10, 03:01 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I work on trucks and there is a different grease for each different use on a truck. Currently we have 8 different types in the stores.

30 years ago we had 2 types- Grease and Moli grease. Didn't matter which you used but the Moli grease was supposedly higher temp for wheel bearings.

I have only one grease in the bike shed though---and it does everything. That is called "Black Gold"---But it is green.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-15-10, 09:20 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikewer
I've been using standard automotive (white lithium) grease for years. I rebuild and re-sell 10-12 bikes a year, and use it for all bearing applications. Never a problem.

Best grease I ever had they don't make any more; some sort of super-synthetic stuff I got at the Schwinn dealer. Only bad thing was it smelled awful! Looked like red toothpaste....
Sounds like red flourocarbon (?flourosilicon maybe?), great stuff. It will not wash out of any clothing that touches it though. Years ago I was noticing a rumble in my stereo system and I tracked it down to the platter spindle on my Thorens turntable. I put a dab of that on there and 25 years later it is still rumble free.
Old 12-15-10, 11:21 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Always say no to spray on grease.
Old 12-16-10, 05:07 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts

Bullshot maybe? I used to have some of that, but I don't think it's available any more.
Old 12-16-10, 09:06 AM
echo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Friends don't let friends use spray on grease.
Likes For echo:
Old 12-26-10, 12:55 AM
EAA

Bikes: Fuji Nevada - winter/bad weather ... 80's Nishiki Prestige ... 80's Basso Gap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mystik (sp?) makes a red grease, supposed to be for "high pressure" applications, I used to use it on trucks/cars, don't remember a particularly bad smell though so probably not the same stuff. I think the stuff I use for bikes is called marine trailer wheel bearing grease or something similar, it's green in color and supposed to resist washing out of bearings which is the reason I use it. Really I think any decent grease would be ok if serviced regularly.
Old 12-26-10, 01:01 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150
And so now you know, that all greases are not chemically or "weather" resistant.

What I usually use for grease if there's no instructions for anything specific is silicone grease, since it doesn't cause problems with swelling rubber or plastic, and won't harm paint or other decorative coatings.

Grease is a liquid lubricant base with a solid (powder) thickener added. With cheaper greases the liquid will run off over time, leaving only the chunky solid stuff that doesn't lubricate. Super-Lube is one brand of silicone grease that is particularly resistant to separating. https://www.super-lube.com/

Super-Lube already contains some Teflon powder--the lowest-friction material there is--but if you want you can buy your own Teflon powder and add as much as you want.
For that matter,,, Teflon powder can be added into just about any other lubricant you want, since it is essentially chemically inert and there's no danger of it reacting with other lubricants. ***
Spurlock tools (online) sells it. https://www.spurlocktools.com/id39.htm
~

***(two things you should NOT add teflon powder to is the crankcase oil of piston engines, or any machinery that incorporates a lubricant filter)
Teflon is a biologically hazardous material and needs to be used with care... it does not react well with organic life forms and does not bio-degrade.
Old 12-26-10, 06:10 AM
Doug5150

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Teflon is a biologically hazardous material and needs to be used with care... it does not react well with organic life forms and does not bio-degrade.
Unfortunately the medical industry differs in opinion and makes a wide variety of implantable devices from it, as it is assumed to be essentially inert unless your body temperature exceeds 464Fº.
~
Likes For Doug5150:
Old 12-27-10, 09:11 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Phil Woods Waterproof grease has been my grease of choice for a couple decades now.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-27-10, 09:53 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
How do you pack something with grease that sprays?
Likes For Bat56:
Old 12-27-10, 10:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Boat Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease in a tub has been the stuff for decades for me.
Though Phil grease in Tubes are tidy.
Old 12-28-10, 07:37 AM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
First time I re-greased my hubs I used white lithium grease. Few weeks later I noticed my wheels turning slower when spun freely. At first I thought I tightened the cones too much, but messing around with it showed me that it wasn't the case. I opened the hubs and it turned out that the grease almost turned into a glue-like, kind of sludgy sugar-like substance.

WLG is definitely not made for bearings of any kind that require much action. Maybe it's good for door hinges.
Old 12-28-10, 10:53 AM
Doug5150

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have seen that if too much teflon powder is added to the Superlube grease, the grease "dries up" and becomes a pale-white doughy substance.... so now I am wondering about just getting some silicone oil and thickening it some with pure Teflon powder..... ?:|
~
Old 12-28-10, 10:58 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I didn't even know they made 'spray on grease'. Perhaps I need to get out more.
Yeah, it's mostly for hinges where it can soak in and hard to reach areas
Old 12-28-10, 03:11 PM
bobn

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The spray on stuff is good for a garage door. Spray the tracks and rollers. Doesn't seem to attract dirt. Occasional use. Once a year.
I would never use it on anything that gets a lot of use for long periods of time, ( bearings-machinery etc )or is exposed to the weather.
Old 12-30-10, 06:55 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use lithium grease as an anti-seize when assembling various fasteners on my bike: water bottle cage bolts, rear derailleur hanger bolt, etc. Been doing this for 5 or 6 years. So far, so good...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.