Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

VO gran cru double crank query

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 06:42 PM
shorthanded

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VO gran cru double crank query

anyone run into tight fits with this crank?

figured a randonneuring audience'd have more experience with this crank than other places-- so i'm asking here.

just got the gran cru rando crankset- LOVELY TA copy-- but i have a modern steel frame of not so fancy lineage-- and the stays are set for a 135mm rear hub. there's no pedal 'squashes' on the frame-- and so with the lovely 139mm Q.. sadly.. my cranks hit the stays! mmmrph.

anyhow-- reordered a 122mm bottom bracket (had a 118mm), that apparently ought to fit with a 3mm spacer.. an hoping it does! fingers crossed that 4mm does it. i suspect it'll be close, as i CAN get the cranks around the stays now.. but they do bump pretty hard when the crank bolts get tightened.

anybody else run into issues with this beautiful beast? i was SO excited to ride with a 46/30 over my previous 44/34.. but looks like i'm gonna wait another day while the bottom bracket heads out from annapolis.. and the weather's not complying anyhow..

thanks all-
Old 02-09-11, 03:52 PM
shorthanded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well.. as far as an update goes-- took delivery of a 122mm bottom bracket today, and sadly, under crank pressure even while pedaling sitting-- there's just enough flex either in the crank or in the frame to land me on my stays. it'll rotate fine and clear.. but under real working pressure, no dice. it clinks, and it drives me nuts.

so-- looks like despite my wish to drop the q tighter, i'm going to lose only 8mm. BUT-- it's still 8mm narrower than my previous compact- and i have better ring selection than i would otherwise.. so i can't complain too bitterly. i gotta say- the bike feels very different with a narrower stance, and i'm looking forward to getting it on the road without shearing paint off my stays :/

by way of review, so far-- this thing shifts WAY faster than i thought it was going to with a 16 tooth jump! i have a 105 front derraileur-- and it really does shift fantastically well-- and it pretty much offers me full range on a 9 speed cassette with a pretty solid chainline and no fussing. like it.

nobody else with experience with these cranks?
Old 02-09-11, 04:07 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Many years ago, I chamfered the ends of a Campag SR crankset to give a hair more clearance. The cranks were fine for a decade of use without failing.
Old 02-09-11, 04:12 PM
shorthanded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LWaB
Many years ago, I chamfered the ends of a Campag SR crankset to give a hair more clearance. The cranks were fine for a decade of use without failing.
y'know what LWaB-- i actually tried a bit--- but realized it would've been WAY more chamfering than i would've wanted to do. there's a good millimeter and a half of clearance NOW-- but with whatever's flexing-- it's STILL making pretty good purchase on the frame under torque, and i probably chamfered a mm or so off the backside of the crankarm. i don't think i COULD'NT go further.. but if i'm still hitting pretty good.. i think i could use the extra 2.5 mm's for sure.
Old 02-09-11, 05:23 PM
bobbycorno

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That bike must have some FAT chainstays! Or are the VO cranks just super thick?

I just installed a TA Cyclotouriste "subcompact" (28/46) double on my '84 Trek 610. 130mm OLD, 43cm chainstays, 175mm cranks, 115mm Shimano bb, 134mm Q and a good 5mm clearance between arms and stays. 'Course the stays are Reynolds 501, round-oval-round and tapered*. That must have something to do with it...

SP
Bend, OR

* No indents for crank clearance - the oval part is for tire and chainring clearance.

Last edited by bobbycorno; 02-09-11 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-09-11, 05:44 PM
shorthanded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno

I just installed a TA Cyclotouriste "subcompact" (28/46) double on my '84 Trek 610. 130mm OLD, 43cm chainstays, 175mm cranks, 115mm Shimano bb, 134mm Q and a good 5mm clearance between arms and stays. 'Course the stays are Reynolds 501, round-oval-round and tapered*. That must have something to do with it...

SP
Bend, OR

* No indents for crank clearance - the oval part is for tire and chainring clearance.
it DOES have some fat chainstays! no indents, barely ovalized, and a 132.5mm hub spacing in the back (for 130's or 135's).. it's a newish masi 4130 frame, which looks suspiciously like a surly in many ways. but yeah.. big and fat

the crankarms are definitely NOT super fat- and are really pretty thin... but i think this frame is just 'modern' and built for a triple with a 127mm bottom bracket... the old one on it was external.

i'm envious of yer 134 q though.. daggone! i felt like i was knocking my knees together at 141! my old road bike's pretty narrow-- but i haven't ridden it much in the last few years. amazing how much different it feels to shave 15mm off your stance.!
Old 02-09-11, 10:02 PM
Holden McNeil
Bicycle Hoarder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought this crank (50% for their mis-ordered chrome finish model) and installed it on my Nashbar X Cross frame (which is known to have a tight fit). Running mine with a 110 bottom bracket. The crank arms are close (say 4mm) but not enough to hit the stays. As a matter of fact, I liked the cranks so much I bought another set just to have for a future build!! The only complaint I have is that the caps for the crank arm bolts have hex cutouts which will eventually lead to road grime settling in the crank bolt area.
Old 02-10-11, 10:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I'm guessing your crank arms are relatively long? Shorter ones might solve the problem.

You might also post your problem in C&V; several of the regular posters there have bought this crank.
Old 02-10-11, 05:55 PM
shorthanded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here she is installed. phew... 3 bottom brackets is a charm- the 127 i put on is JUST right-- never a klink on the stays, but still pretty doggone close.

meanwhiles rhm-- youre right-- the shorter crankarms WOULD make a difference-- but sadly, they only offer them in 170 and 175. i used to ride 172.5s, and these are 175s.. but all worked out, and i still shaved 8mm off my stance.. so i can't complain too badly.

the 46 feels a little bigger than i'm typically used to-- but nothing too bad. the 30/25 feels like i dropped my chain compared to my previous 34 but it DEFINITELY a nice bailout for the regions hills. we have a few out here.

so far so good-- can't wait to get out and ride on saturday-- we're in for near 50 and sun.. so i'll be out, for sure.
Old 03-31-11, 02:39 PM
BikerThomas

Bikes: Just got a Masi Rando w/ a Brooks and STIs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Shorthanded,

I just bought a Masi Rando '09 myself and was thinking about putting on the same crankset.

How is the grand cru working out for you? Do you like it? What would you recommend (in terms of BB, etc) to someone else with the same frame for chainstay clearance?

Thanks!
Thomas
Old 03-31-11, 04:21 PM
shorthanded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikerThomas
Hi Shorthanded,

I just bought a Masi Rando '09 myself and was thinking about putting on the same crankset.

How is the grand cru working out for you? Do you like it? What would you recommend (in terms of BB, etc) to someone else with the same frame for chainstay clearance?

Thanks!
Thomas
hey thomas-

i love the thing. the gearing is great- the quality on the thing has been fantastic, and the ramped large ring shifts super well despite the 16 tooth jump. as a bottom bracket though-- i needed to use a 127.5 on my 56cm frame to get it to work for clearance. that's as low as i could go-- a 122 still hit the stays with a 175 crankarm. it might work with a 170-- but it doesn't buy much room-- those stays are FAT and untapered!

re
Old 04-01-11, 09:06 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
If you really want that super low tread, you can just indent the stays yourself. I build frames as a hobby and indenting the tubing - even on a frame that's already been painted - is very simple and can be done with a homemade "tool" (really just a short length of aluminum rod and a bench vise.)

But I'm personally done with my quest for ultra-low tread. I find that anything narrower than TA/VO crank with a 122 mm spindle feels weird. So if I was in your shoes I'd simply use the set-up you've got now.
Old 04-02-11, 05:32 AM
shorthanded

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
If you really want that super low tread, you can just indent the stays yourself. I build frames as a hobby and indenting the tubing - even on a frame that's already been painted - is very simple and can be done with a homemade "tool" (really just a short length of aluminum rod and a bench vise.)

But I'm personally done with my quest for ultra-low tread. I find that anything narrower than TA/VO crank with a 122 mm spindle feels weird. So if I was in your shoes I'd simply use the set-up you've got now.

oh nah-- i think if i go any narrower than i have now, i'd knock knees on the top tube!

this is about perfect at 140mm- which feels way better than the 156 i used to have.. and even THAT wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of triples.
Old 04-14-11, 07:54 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno

SP
Bend, OR

Haha, either you or I are a little off on our measurements. I'm running the same crankset (but with 46/26) on a Shimano 115mm JIS BB, and my Q measured at 136.6mm. I suppose one of us has the tapers on a little tighter, or they've been removed a few more times, but that's kind of weird nonetheless to have a 2.6mm discrepency. The same crankset on an ISO 118mm spindle gives me 135mm Q.