Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

modern cycling shoes and toeclips and cleats

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-11, 12:16 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts

So I have been just swapping my Look Keo compatible pedals from bike to bike. I have two sets so it hasn't been too much of a hassle. But this year I wanted to go more retro I guess and use real correct vintage pedals on my vintage bikes. After all I rode thousands of miles with clips and cleats so why not do it again? Then no more pedal swapping.

So I ordered a set of Look compatible cleats from Yellow Jersey that are supposed to screw into the Look holes on modern bike shoes and thought problem solved.

But problem not solved. Modern cycling shoes, Diadora Aerospeed comps in this case, have thick plastic or carbon soles and almost all have extensions on the sole at the toe to allow easier walking and prevent damage to modern cleats. But that seams to mean that they don't fit into vintage toe clips. See picture. Even with XXL toe clips they really don't fit into the end of the toe clip.

Plus the Yellow Jersey clips don't seem to be able to be positioned for correct placement of the ball of my foot over the pedal shaft no matter which way I mount them. And the cleat slot is way to tight for any vintage Campy pedal. I would have to file them out.

Are there others out there using modern cycling shoes with vintage pedals, clips and some kind of cleat?

70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 04-09-11, 02:21 PM
shorthanded

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've never, even in the 80's when you COULD buy clips and cleats, NOT bent my toe clips to fit my toes. they're just another thing you have to tweak to work right. just yank on the things until they fit your toes, and if that doesn't work-- just pinch the things with a pair of channel locks between some shim stock or plywood scraps and bend away.
Old 04-09-11, 03:47 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Originally Posted by shorthanded
i've never, even in the 80's when you COULD buy clips and cleats, NOT bent my toe clips to fit my toes. they're just another thing you have to tweak to work right. just yank on the things until they fit your toes, and if that doesn't work-- just pinch the things with a pair of channel locks between some shim stock or plywood scraps and bend away.
Yes I can do that but they are going to have to bend a LOT.
70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Old 04-09-11, 04:22 PM
shorthanded

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hm. well honestly-- the only modern shoes i've found that work alright ( or at least the 43's work alright for ME) is bontrager streets. they're pretty narrow toed, and somehow the strap drops between velcro straps. actually i looked for forever to find new modern shoes that worked, and finally gave in for some shimano a520s.. and i'm kinda glad i did.. but i did nurse an old pair of diamants along for a LONG time...

you could also try vittoria 1976es. or dromartis, which are super cool, but already mentioned. but they? yep. SUPER cool.
Old 04-09-11, 05:07 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Where in the US can you get the Dromarti stuff?
Old 04-09-11, 05:19 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I ride strictly with toe clips and straps and had the same issue. I've had success with "driving" or "motorsport" shoes. Adidas and Puma both make some.

Right now I rock Saucony track (running) shoes...there's like nothing to them, they have a very slim profile which is what you want for toe clips.
In cool weather I've got a pair of leather Hush Puppies that are awesome.

My best successes have been when I rode my bike to the shoe store and just brought it in with me and tried on shoes with my bike. It makes sense.
Old 04-09-11, 05:27 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
There must be something I'm missing here, but if you are using a clipless system, what is the point of the toe clips? Are we talking about a classic style clip-in pedal that doesn't work the same as modern pedals?
Old 04-09-11, 05:35 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12789 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Are we talking about a classic style clip-in pedal that doesn't work the same as modern pedals?
I think he's talking sloted cleats, not clipless cleats.
Old 04-09-11, 05:52 PM
Otis

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I had a worn out pair of modern Sidi's that the velcro straps no longer worked. I had my buddy at the shoe repair shop cut off the straps, punch lace holes and install eyelets. Then I used the Yellow Jersey cleat that's a slotted style but drilled for the 3-hole "Look" pattern. I figured this was as good as you could get a modern shoe altered to use with clips and straps. But I found that even without the velcro straps they are still way to thick, and nearly impossible to get into the pedal without reaching down and using your hand to hold the pedal. And with the rounded shape of the sole under the toe they do not really want to sit right on the pedal. I rode them a few times and then gave up. Back to the Detto's with no socks.
Old 04-09-11, 06:15 PM
THEJAPINO
Noob

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
MKS makes some 'deep' toe clips that have a larger toe section. It has a more boxy square profile compared to the toe clips in your pics.
Old 04-09-11, 06:52 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Originally Posted by Otis
I had a worn out pair of modern Sidi's that the velcro straps no longer worked. I had my buddy at the shoe repair shop cut off the straps, punch lace holes and install eyelets. Then I used the Yellow Jersey cleat that's a slotted style but drilled for the 3-hole "Look" pattern. I figured this was as good as you could get a modern shoe altered to use with clips and straps. But I found that even without the velcro straps they are still way to thick, and nearly impossible to get into the pedal without reaching down and using your hand to hold the pedal. And with the rounded shape of the sole under the toe they do not really want to sit right on the pedal. I rode them a few times and then gave up. Back to the Detto's with no socks.
Yes I am talking about old school slotted cleats.

I am coming to the conclusion that it really isn't going to work right, as Otis suggests. The Dromartis are fantastic but way expensive. Either find some vintage shoes or look at continuing to use modern pedals for actual riding. I don't think I can ride without the support of a real cycling shoe or something with a very stiff sole.

Old 04-09-11, 06:54 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12789 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
It won't be pretty but some plastic MTB clips are one option. If they fit my hiking boots OK, they should work fine for your thick-soled cycling shoes.

Maybe a shot at the Track Cycling or SS/FG subforums would find some slotted cleats experts that have other clip ideas.