Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Crazy Pedestrian this morning

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Crazy Pedestrian this morning

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-18, 09:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthrax
When I'm coming from behind and use my bell. I often see people "perk up" and turn their head behind them, noticing a bicycle coming.
So?

Likewise when I say "passing on your right". I'm not claiming bells are totally ineffective, I just think they're inherently inferior to explaining what you're doing as bells convey so little information. I really find the "phantom passer" very annoying.
Old 11-01-18, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

No,

If she had not confronted me there would be no confrontation nor would this thread exists.

It was because she went on about how "You expect me to hear that". You see the RIGHTS and no RESPONSIBILITIES.

And you just escalated the rhetoric here by ascribing her behavior to a "type of woman". Sorry, but I have lost all faith in your account of the story--I think you like to pick fights.
Old 11-01-18, 10:07 AM
steppinthrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
And you just escalated the rhetoric here by ascribing her behavior to a "type of woman". Sorry, but I have lost all faith in your account of the story--I think you like to pick fights.
Right,

What part of my story indicated that I picked a fight with her. You can think what you like....

There's no rhetoric here, No one here has blamed me for anything. More against the pedestrian for being unreasonable.

I could care less what faith you have in me or my story.....

Last edited by steppinthrax; 11-01-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Right,

What part of my story indicated that I picked a fight with her. You can think what you like....

There's no rhetoric here, No one here has blamed me for anything. More against the pedestrian for being unreasonable.

I could care less what faith you have in me or my story.....

Oh, please, no rhetoric?!

You: "Let's put it this way, this was the type of woman who feel she only has RIGHTS no RESPONSIBILITIES. If my bicycle had brushed against her, I'd be dealing with a lawsuit that my children's children will still be defending. While she sits in the courtroom arguing about mansplaining."

So you took this trivial anecdote and spun it into an attack on some cartoon version of feminism. Yeah, you go boy!

Oh, and as little as you care about my opinion, I care even less about yours.
Old 11-01-18, 10:41 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Old 11-01-18, 12:53 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The problem with that is I used my bell. (two rings). She said something like "you expect me to hear that"? I'm generally not good for argument on the fly, but if more time were given my comeback would be something like, "you have ears and awareness right".

Now we are going not only using a bell but also yelling. What's the next step. (1) Your Bell (2) Voice (3) Launch a boat flare **********
Use your bell. That's what's universally and instantly recognized as a cyclist approaching. Bell are also very directional so you even know what side they're on. Yelling is the worst type of warning because it has to be interpreted. If you're forced to yell do so early not when you're right on top of someone. I ring my bell at a distance and continue ringing it as I approach or until I get a response.
Originally Posted by jon c.
Road users are one thing. Sidewalk users operate under a different set of conventions. Bicycles are uninvited interlopers and have no standing in the social order.
Sidewalks are for pedestrians -- that cyclist may use (except where prohibited). Cyclist are to follow rules on the sidewalk just as they do on the road: When riding on the sidewalk cyclist yield to pedestrians.
Old 11-01-18, 12:58 PM
sirkaos

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Expert, Surley Karate Monkey 29er hard tail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is getting really entertaining. Pass the popcorn Joey....

When I hear the phrase" I don't care about your opinion", but responds to posts in just a few minutes, usually means something else... Lol
Old 11-01-18, 01:00 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by sirkaos
This is getting really entertaining. Pass the popcorn Joey....

Well worth the price of an Internet connection. Hope the mods don't get trigger happy.
Old 11-01-18, 01:44 PM
KraneXL

The reason that they're is so much division in these instances is because everybody has their unique opinion as to what is right or wrong based on their own experiences. What they should do is first determine if there's a law in place. If there is, then any opinions are irrelevant.

For example, when existing a driveway motorist are suppose to stop before they cross the sidewalk, but 9 out of 10 blow across the sidewalk and don't stop until they reach the road. That safety responsibly legally falls onto the motorist first, but its typically the pedestrian (or cyclist) that acts to avoid any incident for obvious reasons.
Old 11-01-18, 01:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by KraneXL
The reason that they're is so much division in these instances is because everybody has their unique opinion as to what is right or wrong based on their own experiences. What they should do is first determine if there's a law in place. If there is, then any opinions are irrelevant.

For example, when existing a driveway motorist are suppose to stop before they cross the sidewalk, but 9 out of 10 blow across the sidewalk and don't stop until they reach the road. That safety responsibly legally falls onto the motorist first, but its typically the pedestrian (or cyclist) that acts to avoid any incident for obvious reasons.
Every stop-sign in my city is planted in the ground BEFORE the sidewalk. So cars are supposed to stop at the SIDEWALK, look down the sidewalk and the road (if they can see it, often not), then creep up to the cross street and look up and down that before proceeding. I can tell you that other then me, ZERO motorists I have observed do this. Also, a red light in my city means STOP by law. Yet, one to three cars/trucks go through after the light is coal red. Speed LIMIT? Locals call that Speed MINIMUM. The limit is whatever you can get away with.

The good news about living in such a place? When in Rome, do as the Romans! Which is basically anything I feel like doing that has zero affect on other road users.
Old 11-01-18, 02:36 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Every stop-sign in my city is planted in the ground BEFORE the sidewalk. So cars are supposed to stop at the SIDEWALK, look down the sidewalk and the road (if they can see it, often not), then creep up to the cross street and look up and down that before proceeding. I can tell you that other then me, ZERO motorists I have observed do this. Also, a red light in my city means STOP by law. Yet, one to three cars/trucks go through after the light is coal red. Speed LIMIT? Locals call that Speed MINIMUM. The limit is whatever you can get away with.

The good news about living in such a place? When in Rome, do as the Romans! Which is basically anything I feel like doing that has zero affect on other road users.
All true but some "allowances" can be a lot more hazardous than others. A few miles per hour over the speed limit, big deal. But rolling through a crosswalk could kill or seriously injury a pedestrian crossing the street.

A red light ALWAYS means stop. But as you say few motorist actually know this and usually don't do so when they're allowed to turn right on red. I gently remind them by pointing WALK sign or crosswalk they've encroached onto.

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-01-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-01-18, 09:18 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Actually crazy pedestrians screaming and cursing is not that bad. There are more physically aggressive and violent ones:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/05/...-the-hospital/

On May 14 at around 4:30 p.m., Baker, 63, was biking up Eighth Avenue just north of the Port Authority Bus Terminal. A man walking toward him knocked Baker off his bike, sending him careening to the pavement and inflicting injuries that necessitated a three-day hospital stay.

As he made his way up the block, a man walking in the opposite direction in the bike lane stuck out his elbow, knocked Baker off his bike, and kept walking.

The impact of the fall caused serious injuries. Baker sustained a broken clavicle, two broken ribs, and a collapsed lung.
This cyclist could have died if his head hit the curb.
Old 11-01-18, 09:39 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by vol
Actually crazy pedestrians screaming and cursing is not that bad. There are more physically aggressive and violent ones:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2018/05/...-the-hospital/

This cyclist could have died if his head hit the curb.
Where are they going to put them, double decker roads and sidewalks? Who could have envisioned the type of growth we experience today? The only alternative is to "rob Peter to pay Paul, meaning some cars lanes have got to go.

Hopefully future cities and expansions will "get the memo" and double the space we now allow for growth over the next century.
Old 11-01-18, 11:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
How do you know that she was lonely?
Was she

or

Old 11-01-18, 11:33 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Nevermind.
Old 11-02-18, 05:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I commute to work daily.

It was around 6ish this morning. I primarily ride on the rode if possible, but I'm forced to enter the sidewalk to bypass several road barricades that I come across. During these hours in the city in this area it's pretty quiet.

Anyway I was heading down the road and was approaching a vehicle barricade. I veered my bike to the right to jump on the sidewalk. There's a break in the sidewalk where wheelchairs and "wheeled" vehicles can transition onto. Whenever I'm coming behind people I always ring my bell several times. Usually It gets their attention and they either look up from their phone or shift their body with confirmation that they are aware of a cycle presence. There was one lonely woman walking down this wide ass sidewalk and she went ballistic when I jumped on the curb. I had my headphones in so I didn't hear what she said, but she went off as I passed her. I'm assuming she just freaked out at the sudden "bang and pop" as I transition from the road to the curb.

Unfortunately just a few yards after passing her I came to a pedestrian cross sign, she did as well. This is one of those long ass signs that I'm always forced to stay.

Just a little more background, In my city I'm legally allowed to ride on the sidewalk.

Anyway she very angrily came to me and stated "Did you know what you did to me? this was the dialog the pursued.

Woman: Did you know what you did to me?
Me: What, what happened to you?
Woman: You came from there and almost hit me?
Me: I made my bell.
(She had a hispanic accent and honestly I couldn't understand her correctly. At this point I'm infuriated since I don't feel I did anything wrong and she was an idiot for not having basic situational awareness. Then she tries to accuse me for hitting her.)
Woman: And you expect me to hear that? #@$$#$#$ You *******.. #@$#@$ You #@$#@$
Me: F--- You ***** (At this point she starts walking the opposite direction and our distance grows)
(At this point we are probably a block apart as I've already crossed the crosswalk).
Woman: #@$#@$@$#@$
Me: ***** (yelled from across the block)
Woman: #@$#@$#@$# (yelled again from across blocks)

IDK she seemed to want to somehow claim that I physically hit her with my bike when that was never the case. I need to start back on wearing my GoPro.
I just reread the OP. He actually loudly passed a pedestrian on a sidewalk just so he could wait a little longer at a stoplight that was "a few yards" from where he passed her (he had the confrontation because the pedestrian caught up to him at the light). He actually had no good reason to pass her at that point, and I definitely wouldn't do that in the circumstances. I take to the sidewalk very reluctantly, and pass pedestrians on them only if they're indicating it's ok. Sidewalks just aren't paths or roads, and are not designed for faster biking to mix with walking.

BTW, isn't it rather ironic that the OP mentions he couldn't hear the pedestrian yelling because of his headphones, then complains because the pedestrian is "the type of woman" who doesn't exercise her responsibility to listen?

Last edited by livedarklions; 11-02-18 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-02-18, 08:06 AM
steppinthrax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL

I checked online for laws in my city. I have checked before during my process of purchasing a bike etc. I can tell you that they are not very detailed. They go over passing, dooring and how a cyclist can "divide a lane". There's a 3 foot passing rule for vehicles but it's not specific with people. I was much more than 3 feet from her anyway.
Old 11-02-18, 08:16 AM
steppinthrax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Naw, more like this.

Old 11-04-18, 04:21 PM
thatgirl1
late bloomer

Bikes: azor omafiets, lemond zurich, raleigh tourist(s), taleigh twenty

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only person who would much rather have a human voice call out than a bell ring? I hate bells--they vary so much in volume that they're really difficult to locate behind you, and they really don't tell you what the rider is doing.

I use a fairly loud "passing on your left". Completely nonambiguous, very easy to say. Just saying "left" confuses people who don't know the drill.
I agree. Pedestrians don’t like being “belled” at in the way a cyclist doesn’t like a car honking at them; I spend equal time wearing both hats, so my sympathies go in both directions,

And as one is manning, according to law, a vehicle, it is the responsibility to, when coming upon a pedestrian or other cyclist, not to assume they understand what we want by ringing a bell; you use your voice to announce your intention. That’s simple courtesy, and what we owe our fellow cyclists, lest we want to be thought of as rude.

Technically speaking, a sidewalk is a pedestrian conveyance. I’m not sure what sort of “city” allows sidewalk cycling (it would earn you a ticket in Nee York, without exception), but it’s still, foremost, a pedestrian conveyance; so if you ride on ome—“legally” or not—pedestrians deserve better courtesy than a “get out of my way” bell.

And her “Hispanic accent?” Not sure what that contributes to the story, save for what you feel is somehow salient to your “point.” But given your own lacking grammatical command—and poorly-rationalized behavior—you probably should have back-pocketed that nonsense.
Old 11-04-18, 04:24 PM
thatgirl1
late bloomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just reread the OP. He actually loudly passed a pedestrian on a sidewalk just so he could wait a little longer at a stoplight that was "a few yards" from where he passed her (he had the confrontation because the pedestrian caught up to him at the light). He actually had no good reason to pass her at that point, and I definitely wouldn't do that in the circumstances. I take to the sidewalk very reluctantly, and pass pedestrians on them only if they're indicating it's ok. Sidewalks just aren't paths or roads, and are not designed for faster biking to mix with walking.

BTW, isn't it rather ironic that the OP mentions he couldn't hear the pedestrian yelling because of his headphones, then complains because the pedestrian is "the type of woman" who doesn't exercise her responsibility to listen?
Seriously! And let’s talk about how insane it is to ride with headphones. Is this the Daisy Buchanan school of cycling, I.e., “They’ll look out for me!”
Old 11-04-18, 07:07 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by mr_bill

The Lone Ranger wasn’t alone.

-mr. bill
But he never had to go to the box canyon to look for rustlers and get beaten up every episode.
Old 11-04-18, 07:08 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Naw, more like this.

Yeah, but that kind of pouty is just so cute.
Old 11-05-18, 01:33 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by thatgirl1
...pedestrians deserve better courtesy than a “get out of my way” bell.
My bell clearly states to pedestrians: "I AM HERE...Please don't jump IN MY WAY". My voice is for when pedestrians are blocking the entire path/road/sidewalk "Why do I have to BEG you for my space?"
Old 11-05-18, 01:58 PM
Groundhog2

Bikes: Trek Cruiser 7 speed axle, Specialized Hybrid, and Gary Fisher Mendotta .

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You also need to get the blasted ear plugs out of your ears while biking REGARDLESS of other factors. And I do not see where the road-rage you participated in did you (or her) any good.

Last edited by Groundhog2; 11-05-18 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-05-18, 02:09 PM
thatgirl1
late bloomer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
My bell clearly states to pedestrians: "I AM HERE...Please don't jump IN MY WAY". My voice is for when pedestrians are blocking the entire path/road/sidewalk "Why do I have to BEG you for my space?"
Ah, screaming caps—the mark of the reasonable in any forum.

Your first mistake is assuming it’s your (sorry—I don’t employ screaming caps for emphasis) space. At best, it’s a shared resource, but because you don’t want to take the trouble to ride around the barriers of the road—that’s built for vehicles, which bicycles are—you decided you belong on the sidewalk. It’s not a conclusion most cyclists reach, not only because it’s illegal in most places, but because, as functional riders, we learn to anticipate such hazards—and to deal with them rather more directly. I’m not sure why you don’t learn to work with them, but just because you choose not to is not rationale for believing the sidewalk is automatically yours to dominate.

And the idea of “dominating” brings me to a second point: that of the way you choose to communicate—or not communicate. Wearing headphones is a de facto manner of communicating a willingness not to engage, and for the reasonable, hearing who and what are around you, and negotiating by exchange when one party has shut off his hearing makes that negotiation moot. You admit you didn’t hear the pedestrian in this case; next time it may be someone in a car who you’d probably assume should be looking out for you when you swerve or otherwise don’t signal your intentions. A car won’t hear your damned bell.

You assumed that belling and yelling at a pedestrian who had “possession” of the sidewalk prior to you is sufficient to negotiating her moving to let you barrel through. Most pedestrians would find that unreasonable. Why? Because sidewalks are built principally for them; otherwise, you’d be negotiating around them in the road, or on the shoulder of one.

What you communicated could hardly be construed as “begging,” but asking and thanking someone more vulnerable than you would probably have elicited the right of way you wanted; but by no means were you entitled to it—not even by the so-called “law” you claim exists.

Whatever municipality you’re referring to in this case probably has bicycle use of the sidewalks spelled out, including what courtesies need be applied when sharing the conveyance with pedestrians. Your flawed rationale would never hold up in a court of law, so you should probably avail yourself of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.