Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Storm damage thread (closed/damaged roads)

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Storm damage thread (closed/damaged roads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 09:30 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by Pavol Stromcek
Just wondering if anyone has attempted to go through Wildcat Canyon recently and whether folks have encountered a work crew and if the crew let them through. I didn't want to risk getting to the bottom of Wildcat and encountering an unfriendly work crew on my ride this morning, so I went down the very circuitous and steep route through the El Toyonal neighborhood instead, which was the first time I've ever been through there. Not an especially pleasant ride (too curvy, narrow, and steep to be able to descend very fast), so I probably won't be pining to do that again. Hope Wildcat Canyon is repaired soon!
That stop near the bottom of El Toyonal can be a challenge. I regularly see riders coming off of Wildcat when I drive through. Not firsthand but they say it's not a problem.

Last edited by curbtender; 04-17-23 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-17-23, 11:20 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Hwy 84 is still closed at Portola. 84 is, I think, most riders preferred descent from 35 - wider and less technical than either OLH or Kings Mtn. It looks like it will be closed for quite some time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-17-23, 01:21 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Hwy 84 is still closed at Portola. 84 is, I think, most riders preferred descent from 35 - wider and less technical than either OLH or Kings Mtn. It looks like it will be closed for quite some time.

Yeah, that looks like more than a bunny-hop's worth. It also looks like months, not days or weeks, worth of fix. Maybe double-digit months.
Old 04-17-23, 05:04 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
So are drivers using OLH as the alternative? That road is barely wide enough for 2 bikes in places...put commuting traffic on it, and that's nightmare city!
Old 04-17-23, 05:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by cthenn
So are drivers using OLH as the alternative? That road is barely wide enough for 2 bikes in places...put commuting traffic on it, and that's nightmare city!
Dunno. I don't see a lot of cars at OLH and Portola, nor have I seen a lot of cars on Kings Mtn between 84 and Tripp, so maybe they're 1) not going there at all, or 2) taking 92, where I DO see a lot of traffic.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-17-23, 06:27 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts

Originally Posted by genejockey

Old 04-22-23, 08:53 AM
sanmateoclimber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I went up OLH on 4/8, and there are signs at the bottom cautioning cyclists against taking it. There's no road damage, and they certainly aren't discouraging motorists, so I assume they're just trying to reduce the bike traffic because of increased car traffic, given that 84 is out. And indeed there was more car traffic than normal, but nothing unmanageable at around noon on a Saturday. But maybe half a mile from the top they've installed a traffic light to make the road one-way, alternating directions, for the final handful of blind corners. The signs at that light very specifically spelled out something along the lines of "we are using cameras and we will definitely ticket cyclists who blow past this light." I had to wait like five or six minutes at that light, so it was fortunate that the guy who came up behind me was blasting some good Zeppelin tunes.

Anyway heads up that car traffic is increased on OLH, and presumably will be for however long it takes to get 84 repaired. I assume this applies to Kings Mountain too, though I haven't actually ridden it yet this spring (slow start to my season for various reasons.) And if you set out to put in a good PR effort on OLH, there is a good chance your dreams will be crushed by a red light just a couple minutes from glory.

If anybody has or comes across any info about the repair timeframe for 84 I'm all ears. Same with Stage road-- I wasn't aware of that until I finally read through this thread just now and saw Terry's heartbreaker of a picture-- I love that stretch of road and need it back in my life!
Likes For sanmateoclimber:
Old 04-22-23, 11:21 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
FWIW, a dozen of us on loaded bikes (for credit-card touring) made it through Stage Road on April 3 with no problems. The way through is narrow (see the photo) and the drop-off severe, but concentrate on where you want to ride (not on what you want to avoid) and you will get through without problem. I'm pretty risk-averse, and I had no trouble doing it. If all else fails, walk that short section. The barricades are definitely not bike-proof and I don't think they were meant to be. (For those who have not seen the details, this slide out is just short of the top of the San Gregario (southern) side of the southernmost of the two climbs between San Gregorio and Pescadero. If you are riding north to south, you get a good view of the underside of he slide from the lower part of he climb. It's impressive.
Old 04-24-23, 08:24 PM
betabob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone have any recent updates on Redwood Road? As of last week there was still that imposing double fence/barrier on the Oakland side (Marciel gate), so not sure if any progress has been made towards fixing the slide and/or if cyclists have been able to get through that section pretty easily from the Castro Valley side.
Old 04-24-23, 09:56 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Originally Posted by sanmateoclimber
I went up OLH on 4/8, and there are signs at the bottom cautioning cyclists against taking it. There's no road damage, and they certainly aren't discouraging motorists, so I assume they're just trying to reduce the bike traffic because of increased car traffic, given that 84 is out. And indeed there was more car traffic than normal, but nothing unmanageable at around noon on a Saturday. But maybe half a mile from the top they've installed a traffic light to make the road one-way, alternating directions, for the final handful of blind corners. The signs at that light very specifically spelled out something along the lines of "we are using cameras and we will definitely ticket cyclists who blow past this light." I had to wait like five or six minutes at that light, so it was fortunate that the guy who came up behind me was blasting some good Zeppelin tunes.

Anyway heads up that car traffic is increased on OLH, and presumably will be for however long it takes to get 84 repaired. I assume this applies to Kings Mountain too, though I haven't actually ridden it yet this spring (slow start to my season for various reasons.) And if you set out to put in a good PR effort on OLH, there is a good chance your dreams will be crushed by a red light just a couple minutes from glory.

If anybody has or comes across any info about the repair timeframe for 84 I'm all ears. Same with Stage road-- I wasn't aware of that until I finally read through this thread just now and saw Terry's heartbreaker of a picture-- I love that stretch of road and need it back in my life!
Great post, thanks for the info! I don't ride over that way too often, but I really do love going over there. Guess I'll take some time off, not worth the long drive if I'm going to be on a narrow road with even more car traffic and a 5-minute traffic signal to deal with!
Old 04-25-23, 01:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Further Peninsula closures:
  • Sawyer Camp Trail is closed from the dam North to Burlingame indefinitely. Apparently the storms either cause or revealed instability in the subsoil under the trail in many places.
  • Ralston Trail is closed till July for PG&E work. So if you're riding from San Mateo, there only way to get to Canada Rd is via Crystal Springs.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-23-23, 04:57 PM
cthenn

Reviving this old thread, I'm wondering if anyone has been on Redwood Rd through CV lately, and how it is with the closures? Does it look like any work has been started? Still passable by bikes?
Old 06-23-23, 05:34 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
last I heard there is an 8ft fence that extends all the way down and across the metal guard rail on the CV side. The fence overhang the damaged area.(risky drop) The other side has similar 8ft fence, but you can get around.
Likes For spdntrxi:
Old 06-25-23, 10:29 AM
betabob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
With the recent rash of bike thefts in that area I’d be pretty nervous about riding that section of road anyway…
Old 06-26-23, 09:23 PM
cthenn

well that's actually why I asked. I would ride it from the CV side and turn around at the top.
Old 06-27-23, 11:29 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Rt 84 in is still closed at Portola. Supposedly, it will reopen with traffic controls (i.e. a one lane section with lights at each end) in late July, and fully reopen in October.

Unsurprisingly, with 84 closed, car traffic on Old La Honda and Kings Mountain roads has increased dramatically. I don't think I'll be conquering the Santa Cruz Mountains this year.

Old 06-27-23, 09:22 PM
cthenn

I always thought I'd hate to live on OLH, it's a goat path with zero visibility. Passing even 1 bike has to be difficult in a car.
Old 06-28-23, 08:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I always thought I'd hate to live on OLH, it's a goat path with zero visibility. Passing even 1 bike has to be difficult in a car.
When I started riding it 25 years ago, nobody descended on it because the surface was crap. The last few years, I see a lot more descenders, but also more vehicles in both directions. Yikes! And that's BEFORE the closure of 84!