Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's With All the Liars?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's With All the Liars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-23, 08:55 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Just got back from my third trip looking at bikes without buying the bike. Why? Because when I asked, "Is it 100% rideable as-is?", I got a "Yes" each time.
Sigh... How many times has it been explained to overexplained to people already? It is one of the best-known facts of life: about 75% of the people who advertise in classifieds do so exclusively out of loneliness. They are not planning to sell anything. They don't have a room to rent. They seek human interaction, nothing else.

These are the rules of the game. When you respond to ads in classifieds, you have to keep that in mind before you even begin. Otherwise, you will see "liars" everywhere.
Old 08-20-23, 09:28 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Sigh... How many times has it been explained to overexplained to people already? It is one of the best-known facts of life: about 75% of the people who advertise in classifieds do so exclusively out of loneliness. They are not planning to sell anything. They don't have a room to rent. They seek human interaction, nothing else.

These are the rules of the game. When you respond to ads in classifieds, you have to keep that in mind before you even begin. Otherwise, you will see "liars" everywhere.
Interesting data point. Hmm.
Old 08-20-23, 10:36 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts

Do you have any actual data to back that up? I have bought and sold a bunch of stuff using classified ads, starting way back in the day when "Classifieds" were actual small ads in newspapers. Have not found the phenomenon of which you speak.

Any actual data? Or are you as lonely person whop puts ads in papers to meet people?

You know, there has always been a section in the Classifieds, "People seeking people" and many varieties on that.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-20-23, 11:06 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I think we have discovered one of the causes of bike theft. If you steal a bike, at least you know what you are getting.
Old 08-20-23, 12:09 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts

Ive never heard that before but I wondered it. Ive never met someone selling on marketplace who didnt have something to sell. So what happens? You go there and instead of a bike for sale there is a table with playing cards and snacks?
Likes For BikePower:
Old 08-20-23, 12:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I never test ride any of the bikes I buy. ...
...+1. They're never set up the way I will eventually configure them, so a test ride tells me nothing.
And I don't have that much faith in the mechanical skills of a seller I just met, not to hurt me.
Old 08-20-23, 12:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I must be in the 25%. I would be happier if I could avoid these interactions.
Old 08-21-23, 03:05 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
Just got back from my third trip looking at bikes without buying the bike. Why? Because when I asked, "Is it 100% rideable as-is?", I got a "Yes" each time. I even specifically ask about the breaks working, wheels straight, derailleur working, gears shifting. Each time I get there, those things don't work. Last time he told me the bike was 18.5 inches. I get there and it's 16.5. IT HAD 16.5" ON A STICKER ON THE FRAME. Wow. I'm not mad or frustrated, I understand I can always go to a store and buy a new bike, but geez. I guess they think I won't test ride it? Or maybe they don't think.
OR more excitingly, they'd ride it like that. Your idea of rideable and theirs may not be the same.

I think every bike I've bought used has at least needed a servicing, occasionally a new tire and the story is almost always "I bought it, used it a few times and then it's been taking up space in the shed". No malice, just no interest.
Old 08-21-23, 07:05 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
OR more excitingly, they'd ride it like that. Your idea of rideable and theirs may not be the same.

I think every bike I've bought used has at least needed a servicing, occasionally a new tire and the story is almost always "I bought it, used it a few times and then it's been taking up space in the shed". No malice, just no interest.
I guess you didn't read the whole post. I specifically ask about whether the derailleurs work, brakes work, tires hold air. Pretty sure you need those things to ride it at all.
Old 08-21-23, 07:31 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
I must admit I get frustrated by buyers. BB7s aren't the most common of brakes around here (South Korea), but they're certainly not unknown, and you can use the pads for Juicy 5s or whatever as well, they're the same. I sold a bike with BB7s and the pads seemingly destroyed minds, but the buyer was going to the type of shop that deals in the local version of Walmart bikes and was being vibed away from the higher end MTB places that would actually have the pads. So I tell her she needs BB7 pads, but then some guy at a shop orders BB5 pads. I get her melting down on the phone screaming in frustration about how the BB7 pads don't fit and finally get her to send me a photo of the BB5 pads that the shop guy insists are BB7 pads. Just nonsense due to incompetence, language barriers and lack of understanding. Poor woman finally got new BB7 pads, and then worked out that the old pads were still just fine, she just hadn't been adjusting the pads for wear. I get these meltdowns because she thinks I have sold her a dud bike, when she just needed to watch a couple of YouTube videos or go to better shops.

Last edited by PDKL45; 08-21-23 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-22-23, 12:18 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
If you think folks lie when they sell their bikes, try buying a car, or a house.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 08-22-23, 03:36 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 607 Times in 364 Posts
I guess you didn't read the whole post. I specifically ask about whether the derailleurs work, brakes work, tires hold air. Pretty sure you need those things to ride it at all.
And to someone who isn't bike smart, they may work in that the gears change, the bike stops, and they put air in and it stayed inflated for the 5 seconds they were looking at.

Or are you saying the brakes did nothing, you couldn't change any gears and the tyres wouldn't inflate at all? Because whilst I've seen an awful lot of bikes I'd want to fix before using, I haven't seen many that bad.
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 08-22-23, 07:47 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
People on this forum should have enough knowledge and understanding about bikes to not have to rely on the seller’s representation at all.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-22-23, 08:28 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
got a wheel set off eBay... advertised with tires I've been meaning to try. Wheelset comes and no tires to be found ? Message the seller..nothing..let another day pass by and message again..nothing. Open a case on eBay after the 3rd day of no response and I get oh I removed them so the sealant would not dry out. I'm thinking ok so why not throw them back in the box?

Seller is going to send tires now, but I fully expect them to have pin holes in them or something.
Old 08-22-23, 08:56 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts

Hmmm, that didn't occur to me.
So I should restore a ladies bike and advertise that ?

(just to be clear - that's a joke)
Old 08-22-23, 09:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
And to someone who isn't bike smart....
Originally Posted by smd4
People on this forum should have enough knowledge and understanding about bikes to not have to rely on the seller’s representation at all.
This seems to be the root of OP's frustration. With any item, buying and selling for a profit is a hard row to hoe w/o a knowledge base. Got to be able to sort the promising from the junk.and resolve minor issues like tires and cables w/o drama.
Old 08-22-23, 04:34 PM
RoadWearier

Did you even read the original post? Geez.
Old 08-22-23, 04:35 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
This seems to be the root of OP's frustration. With any item, buying and selling for a profit is a hard row to hoe w/o a knowledge base. Got to be able to sort the promising from the junk.and resolve minor issues like tires and cables w/o drama.
The biggest problem in the used turnover game is finding people who will sell their used items at the items actual fair market value, determined primarily by the actual present condition of the item.

Most people bulk at it, want too much followed by any excuse they can think of to justify it.

I have learned to deal with most of these people by finding a compromise we can both live with. But it takes a lot of diplomacy and reasoning.
Old 08-22-23, 04:41 PM
smd4

Did you even read the original post? Geez.
Yeah. I read it. You asked dumb questions that the sellers may or may not have had a clue about, when you should have been making those judgments yourself as a presumably knowledgeable cyclist. Then you determined they were liars. Geez.

I admit that maybe you’re not as knowledgeable as I assume, and needed to rely on the answers of strangers.
Old 08-22-23, 04:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 1,046 Posts
...maybe they don't think.
Yep... It's called artificial intelligence...
Old 08-22-23, 05:01 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
If you learned how to overhaul a bike, this wouldn't be an issue. I never test ride any of the bikes I buy. I do my research beforehand and thoroughly look them over before purchase.

Sorry that makes no sense. Why wouldn't you test ride it? How does researching take the place of test riding the specific bike? That makes no sense. A thorough look isn't going to replace a test ride either. But hey whatever makes you happy
Likes For RoadWearier:
Old 08-22-23, 05:04 PM
RoadWearier

Yeah. I read it. You asked dumb questions that the sellers may or may not have had a clue about, when you should have been making those judgments yourself as a presumably knowledgeable cyclist. Then you determined they were liars. Geez.

I admit that maybe you’re not as knowledgeable as I assume, and needed to rely on the answers of strangers.
How is "do the brakes work?" a dumb question? How is "do the derailleurs work?" A dumb question. You are a complete moron. Don't waste bandwidth with your stupidity.
Old 08-22-23, 05:13 PM
smd4

How is "do the brakes work?" a dumb question? How is "do the derailleurs work?" A dumb question. You are a complete moron. Don't waste bandwidth with your stupidity.
Are you kidding? I’m gonna trust some schmoe’s ascertation of brake function? Who does that??Some people don’t even know what a derailleur is. And to them, they squeeze the brake lever and think that’s sufficient.

Do yourself a favor and learn not to believe what sellers tell you, and learn enough about bikes to be able to judge them yourself when you see them.

Last edited by smd4; 08-22-23 at 05:19 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-22-23, 05:20 PM
RoadWearier

Are you kidding? I’m gonna trust some schmoe’s ascertation of brake function? Who does that??Some people don’t even know what a derailleur is. And to them, they squeeze the brake lever and think that’s sufficient.

Do yourself a favor and learn not to believe what sellers tell you, and learn enough about bikes to be able to judge them yourself when you see them.
​​​​Uh...I did. that's why I didn't buy them. Are you really that dense? Guess so.
Old 08-22-23, 05:21 PM
smd4

​​​​Uh...I did. that's why I didn't buy them. Are you really that dense? Guess so.
Then what’s the problem??
Likes For smd4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.