Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stem with steerer tube bolts towards the front?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-23, 11:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts

I haven't seen too many of these and I'm not aware of a special name but I need to find a stem that doesn't have the bolts located in the back for the steerer tube.

Local Jr's dad dropped off a used frameset and boxes of parts, I'd actually suggested the build group for this, but didn't notice that the stem recessed into the top tube leaving no space between the steerer tube and the frame for the typical stem with bolts in the back. Unfortunately the original owner of the frameset didn't include the stem, no idea why, and I can't find a listing for the company that made the frame, guessing chinese open mold from alibaba. I have a nice, German made adjustable stem that I can use to build the bike, and worst case could send the bike out with but I'd like to have something better looking and more in line with the bike's ascetics when it leaves. Any special name for this type of stem that I'm not aware of to make a search easier or suggestions of stems that would work?
Old 11-29-23, 12:07 AM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I haven't seen too many of these and I'm not aware of a special name but I need to find a stem that doesn't have the bolts located in the back for the steerer tube.

Local Jr's dad dropped off a used frameset and boxes of parts, I'd actually suggested the build group for this, but didn't notice that the stem recessed into the top tube leaving no space between the steerer tube and the frame for the typical stem with bolts in the back. Unfortunately the original owner of the frameset didn't include the stem, no idea why, and I can't find a listing for the company that made the frame, guessing chinese open mold from alibaba. I have a nice, German made adjustable stem that I can use to build the bike, and worst case could send the bike out with but I'd like to have something better looking and more in line with the bike's ascetics when it leaves. Any special name for this type of stem that I'm not aware of to make a search easier or suggestions of stems that would work?
Google “side clamp stem” and you should find a few
Old 11-29-23, 01:08 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Out of curiosity, I'd like to see a photo of what you're talking about.
Old 11-29-23, 02:09 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
So would I. Is it like Look’s integrated stem thing?
Old 11-29-23, 07:38 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Would an aero stem like this fit?
https://ciclicorsa.com/shop/vinci-integrated-stem/
Old 11-29-23, 11:13 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
You mean something like this:

https://www.sim.works/collections/st...nna-lee-s-stem
Old 11-29-23, 02:11 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
God that's an ugly stem.
Old 11-29-23, 02:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
God that's an ugly stem.
Agreed. I'm used to looking at sleek aluminum or carbon stems. That cromo stem is unsightly.

It works fine, though, undoubtedly. If it were on a bike of mine, I'd probably just use it.
Old 11-29-23, 10:27 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Originally Posted by Camilo
Out of curiosity, I'd like to see a photo of what you're talking about.
Originally Posted by choddo
So would I. Is it like Look’s integrated stem thing?

Originally Posted by joejack951
Would an aero stem like this fit?
https://ciclicorsa.com/shop/vinci-integrated-stem/
Slim chance, I have a Thomson which has a slim profile in the back similar to that where the bolts go through and it doesn't quite squeak it.

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Yes, but more fitting to a time trial bike.

Thanks for all the replies so far, unfortunately searching for side bolt stems produced only old fashioned styles like the above.
Searching for aero frame stems and then following 15 pages of results produced the following.

Kinda liking this one except I couldn't find an 80 or 90mm so it might be too short. Not really aero but it should fit and is a two bolt system so major bonuses there.

This one isn't carbon steerer friendly according to one of the reviews, I'm guessing it means its a form of pinch system like thomson used to use, I really like the clean look this kind of stem offers. I've ordered it to see how the system works since this bike has another odd feature, there's an aluminum sleeve shoved into the steerer tube. You can see in the pic above of the steerer tube the narrower section sticking up, this is aluminum and has an actual star nut hammered in it. This would reinforce the steerer from being crushed by a wedge system so this might work and comes in 90mm.

Hopefully the pics give a better idea of what I'm dealing with, and maybe someone has some further suggestions of what will work. It'll be a sweet build when done, specced it with 11sp ultegra throughout except DA bar end shifters. Profile design bars, brake levers, tape, and DT 1600 wheelset.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 11-30-23, 03:34 AM
choddo

Yeah it does look a bit like the Look 795 frame - though that doesn't have the stem quite so embedded. Wonder if theirs would fit? https://www.lookcycle.com/us-en/prod...-2021-frameset
Old 11-30-23, 01:42 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
That "SuperSIX" headset makes me wonder if this was a Cannondale frame, or did somebody else use their integrated headset design?

If I'm right about that, I'd bet that compatible, Cannondale-branded stems wouldn't be too hard to find. Slapping their name on every part they could and pushing really stupid answers to questions nobody was asking was pretty much their entire business model for about 10 years, after all.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 11-30-23, 04:26 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
I've seen a few frames like that, is there a point to raising the top tube like that?
Old 11-30-23, 04:41 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
I've seen a few frames like that, is there a point to raising the top tube like that?
makes it look like you’ve dropped the stem and gone super aero?
Old 11-30-23, 10:30 PM
Russ Roth

Yeah it does look a bit like the Look 795 frame - though that doesn't have the stem quite so embedded. Wonder if theirs would fit? https://www.lookcycle.com/us-en/prod...-2021-frameset
Good possibility.

Originally Posted by ShannonM
That "SuperSIX" headset makes me wonder if this was a Cannondale frame, or did somebody else use their integrated headset design?

If I'm right about that, I'd bet that compatible, Cannondale-branded stems wouldn't be too hard to find. Slapping their name on every part they could and pushing really stupid answers to questions nobody was asking was pretty much their entire business model for about 10 years, after all.
--Shannon
That'll give me something to narrow down on ebay. I was trying to remember if it was felt who had done something like this but c-dale might be the better search.

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Its would seem to be to move the airflow around the stem to around the frame. Being a specifically time trial/tri bike I'd guess that proper positioning is adjusted more with spacers under the arm rests than spacers under the stem.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 12-01-23, 02:48 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
The no longer made but available as used and NOS, the TTT Forge Ahead threadless stems use an internal clamping mechanism that tightens with one bolt on the left front side. I bought one when they were dirt cheap from planet bike .uk some years ago. When clamped the bolt is near, but not quite totally flush.

Old 12-01-23, 08:07 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
makes it look like you’ve dropped the stem and gone super aero?
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Its would seem to be to move the airflow around the stem to around the frame. Being a specifically time trial/tri bike I'd guess that proper positioning is adjusted more with spacers under the arm rests than spacers under the stem.
Introducing a frame weakness to slightly increase aerodynamics is an interesting trade.
Old 12-02-23, 08:48 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
The no longer made but available as used and NOS, the TTT Forge Ahead threadless stems use an internal clamping mechanism that tightens with one bolt on the left front side. I bought one when they were dirt cheap from planet bike .uk some years ago. When clamped the bolt is near, but not quite totally flush.

I like that. Real clean look and I assume the mechanism is wedged and pushes against the steerer tube, instead of clamping around the steerer tube. Do you know if that's recommended for a carbon steerer?
Old 12-02-23, 11:38 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
I wouldn't use any of these on a carbon steerer. The reason every other stem puts the binder bolts on the back is to facilitate an even split top-to-bottom. This ensures even pressure over maximum clamping area. The wedge systems localize the compression at the wedge itself, and the partial-split systems at the bottom.