Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Looking to rent a tandem bike.

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-23, 07:12 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

My child and I are pondering shifting from an Adam's trail-a-bike to an actual tandem. Since it will fit their build better and give them more control while riding. However, before I start to try to look seriously for a tandem we want to try it out in practice and see how we feel about it.

With that said, I have had a very hard time trying to find a rental agency that carries tandems at all. So for the eastern PA, NJ, and nearby areas is there any place that rents tandems that you know of?
Old 02-21-23, 07:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
If anyone would know of a “rental agency” it would probably be these folks:

https://tandemseast.com
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-22-23, 09:10 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I was looking into the Hase Pino years back. If memory serves, Mount Airy Bicycles rented similar style tandems. Not exactly close to you but the shop is close to the C&O Canal (dirt or gravel) and the Maryland Rail Trail (paved). Both are flat and a good place to practice. The Hase Pino is a good bike when the tandem pair is mismatched, the front cyclists sits recumbent and can coast when tired. It was rather pricey though, thus I did not buy one. I can't recall the name of the other namebrand that was similar to the Hase.

https://www.bike123.com/products/#tandem
Old 02-23-23, 06:07 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Try Perkiomen Bicycles in Schwenksville, PA, 19473. They have a Cannondale tandem to rent. They are right on the Perkiomen trail so you can ride about 10 miles north (but Spring
Mountain is a pretty difficult hill) or go 10 miles south then connect to the Schuylkill River Trail for another 100 miles. An excellent test ride location with no automobiles except for road crossings.

It’s rarely out for rent but call ahead anyway so they will go over it ahead of time and have it ready for you. I’ve no idea if the rear position will fit your child. Another reason to call ahead.

yup, the owner. Is a friend of mine.
Likes For Prowler: