Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Peanut butter and saturated fats

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Peanut butter and saturated fats

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24, 12:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I believe that not all cyclists get enough protein in their diet.

We active cyclists need more protein than the RDA, not more than the "average American".

Whether the "average American" gets more or less than the RDA is not important. I am not "average"; nobody is "average". I have to be mindful to get enough protein (and total calories) daily. Except for yogurt (quality source of protein and calcium), I eat vegan. I am not unique.
For the most part I'm just pointing out that what you quoted in your previous post isn't any great amount of protein.

The recommended protein requirement for a recreational cyclist is still 1.2-1.4 g/kg/day, the same as any other endurance athlete.
And even if you go back to your post #7 where you listed a max recommendation of 2 g/kg/day, it's still likely less than the amount of protein that many eat today that don't even do any exercise whatsoever. Although IIRC, 2 g/kg/day is or was the recommended amount for endurance athletes. So if you are recommending more than that, then how much more?

I'm also not sure why you find it hard to meet the daily requirement as a vegetarian. Quite a few nutritious vegetables, beans, peas and such have protein. But one pitfall I read when I went ovo-pescatarian is that some people rely to heavy on pasta and other nutritionally barren choices to use as filler.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-13-24 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-17-24, 12:15 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
OP... "Food for thought" regarding peanuts and peanut butter... Consider buying organic:
https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...o-buy-organic/
4. Peanuts
Peanuts are actually not a nut, but a member of the legume family, which also includes peas, beans and lentils. Unlike tree nuts, peanuts are grown underground, according to the National Peanut Board. This makes them especially susceptible to mold and fungi from moist soil, as well as increased exposure to pesticides that get absorbed into the soil.
Old 04-17-24, 02:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

We active cyclists need more protein than the RDA, not more than the "average American".

Whether the "average American" gets more or less than the RDA is not important. I am not "average"; nobody is "average". I have to be mindful to get enough protein (and total calories) daily. Except for yogurt (quality source of protein and calcium), I eat vegan. I am not unique.
For the most part I'm just pointing out that what you quoted in your previous post isn't any great amount of protein.

​​​​​​​The recommended protein requirement for a recreational cyclist is still 1.2-1.4 g/kg/day, the same as any other endurance athlete.
And even if you go back to your post #7 where you listed a max recommendation of 2 g/kg/day, it's still likely less than the amount of protein that many eat today that don't even do any exercise whatsoever. Although IIRC, 2 g/kg/day is or was the recommended amount for endurance athletes. So if you are recommending more than that, then how much more?

I'm also not sure why you find it hard to meet the daily requirement as a vegetarian. Quite a few nutritious vegetables, beans, peas and such have protein. But one pitfall I read when I went ovo-pescatarian is that some people rely to heavy on pasta and other nutritionally barren choices to use as filler.
I might have to recant on this.

I haven't tracked my food in quite a while, but since posting this I've been tracking my meals and food some. And it seems I might not be getting enough protein as I thought I was.
Old 04-17-24, 02:14 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
I eat peanut butter and eggs sandwiched between two pieces of juicy steak.

Like anything...Moderation. And genetics plays a role as well.
Old 04-18-24, 06:53 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts

Being vegan certainly puts you in a place where protein requirements are more challenging.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 04-25-24, 02:54 AM
Ssj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
To answer the original question, I eat almond butter instead of peanut butter. Healthier.

about protein, I target 2g/kg body weight consumed evenly through the day. That’s usually 3 meals and a snack.

about fat, I target 1.3g/kg body weight.

the rest of my target calories for the day are from carbs.
Old 04-26-24, 08:23 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
More recent research has shown statins do not significantly increase lifespan and can have detrimental side effects. Please do your homework before going on statins.
Much less expensive to get medical advice from the internet than seeing a licensed doctor.
Old 04-26-24, 12:18 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Much less expensive to get medical advice from the internet than seeing a licensed doctor.
Yea, it's genius level to get all your information from one source. What do you think the chances of being prescribed a drug by someone trained to prescribe drugs from the drug companies is? Nobody asked you to take a stranger's advice from the internet smart guy, just to educate yourself about all options before making a critical decision.