Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Rt.611 closed in Delaware Water Gap

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-23, 09:07 AM
car knocker
Bicyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Rr.611 closure in Delaware Water Gap,for cars,are walkers and bikers getting through?
Old 04-27-23, 12:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by car knocker
Rr.611 closure in Delaware Water Gap,for cars,are walkers and bikers getting through?
Which stretch is closed?
Old 04-27-23, 01:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
North of Portland. I imagine the rockslides are on the twisty part between the water gap and Delaware Water Gap.
"PennDOT on Jan. 10, 2023, announced Route 611 just north of Portland will be closed for an estimated seven months because of a Dec. 6, 2022, rockslide."
Don't know if it's accessible to bikes.
Old 04-27-23, 02:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by unterhausen
North of Portland. I imagine the rockslides are on the twisty part between the water gap and Delaware Water Gap.
"PennDOT on Jan. 10, 2023, announced Route 611 just north of Portland will be closed for an estimated seven months because of a Dec. 6, 2022, rockslide."
Don't know if it's accessible to bikes.
Holy crap! I wonder if ACA knows. That segment is on its Atlantic Coast route. I’ll check its website.

If the closure is lower down, there may be some workarounds. Going north, one might be able to climb Turkey Ridge out of Portland, make a right at the T onto Laurel Hill and then right onto National Park Dr. That will take you back down to 611. However, a relatively short portion is unpaved. And Turkey Ridge is a steep climb.

Fub fact: Portland is the home town of the guy who wrote “All I Want For Christmas is my Two Front Teeth.”
Old 04-27-23, 03:01 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I'd probably walk across the footbridge in Portland to NJ and then go to Blairstown, NJ and climb the ridge on Millbrook, rejoining ACA route at Millbrook Village unless one planned to sleep at the church in Water Gap, had one's heart set on that little bakery or needed a dispensary fix before crossing state lines
Old 04-28-23, 07:22 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I'd probably walk across the footbridge in Portland to NJ and then go to Blairstown, NJ and climb the ridge on Millbrook, rejoining ACA route at Millbrook Village unless one planned to sleep at the church in Water Gap, had one's heart set on that little bakery or needed a dispensary fix before crossing state lines
That’s another option, but it bypasses the campground in Worthington State Forest. Love that place. Saw a bear cub there in 2018.

FYI…Even if they are full they will make space for you if you are arriving by human power. Best to call ahead and let them know you are coming.
Old 05-28-23, 09:56 AM
car knocker
Bicyclist

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Last week we rode thru no problem after going around the concrete barriers. There was no construction going on and no obstructions on the roadway. Met a southbound bicyclist using the AC route map so apparently there has been no addendum added yet. Car free from Portland PA to the DWG is the way it should be,it's much too narrow a road to be sharing it with autos.

Last edited by car knocker; 05-28-23 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-29-23, 06:04 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by car knocker
Last week we rode thru no problem after going around the concrete barriers. There was no construction going on and no obstructions on the roadway. Met a southbound bicyclist using the AC route map so apparently there has been no addendum added yet. Car free from Portland PA to the DWG is the way it should be,it's much too narrow a road to be sharing it with autos.
Any proposed detour would likely show up in the temporary detours thread on the ACA forum. The map addenda are not updated that quickly. And both are often dependent upon riders communicating current conditions. I’ve done that a couple of times for both temporary road closures and things like service closures. The craziest one was in CO back in 2000. There was a store close to a campground that had burned to the ground a couple of days before. Fortunately, I had decided to go off route to a larger town to shop before riding to the campground.