Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

3 x 8/9 speed front flat bar friction shifter

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-24, 09:45 PM
rsrogers

Bikes: 2023 Masi Giramondo | 2018 Specialized Diverge| 2019 Bianch Impulso Allroad GRX600| 2012 Trek 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Looking at one of these to replace my indexed Deore front 3X trigger shifter. I just like to have friction shifting on the front where it is so easy to trim the derailleur position. Does it matter to the front derailleur what speed my rear cassette and rear derailleur is? I would think not. I have a 10 speed on the back. Sunrace or Microshift sell these shifters as pairs usually and describes them as 3 x 8/9 flat bar friction shifters. Shouldn't I be able to replace my Deore front (left) shifter with one of these friction shifters?

Thanks!
Bob
Old 01-24-24, 10:04 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Yes. Or just find a used Deore or Suntour single on ebay.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-24-24, 10:06 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Yes, you should be able to do this. Friction shifters are more forgiving in terms of FD specs.

The cheapest one I remember is Sunrace SL-M10, you can buy the left one separately.
Likes For csport:
Old 01-25-24, 11:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by rsrogers
Does it matter to the front derailleur what speed my rear cassette and rear derailleur is?
I think it sometimes does. The width and shape of the FD cage is likely optimized for chain width and overall cassette width of the expected drivetrain. In practice, and especially if friction-shifted, you generally have pretty good latitude on what you can use as a FD.
Old 01-25-24, 11:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
The cheapest one I remember is Sunrace SL-M10, you can buy the left one separately.
Some also like to use a right side thumb shifter on the left, turned upside down, with the lever under the grip. In that manner, you get a similar "push to pull cable" action that you have with most trigger shifters.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 01-25-24, 01:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’ve been running a Suntour XCD4050 for a left shifter. It is enormous and works well.

For a flat bar on-road bicycle. I’ve wondered if a Retrofriction, or a Shimano spring assisted light action on a Paul’s thumbie, or equivalent, mount might be really slick.

I know Dura Ace 74XX and Ultegra 64xx had left downtube shift levers with spring assist. The old SL-422 had a spring and ratchet. The ratchet ring could be removed.

I don’t know if the bar end BS64, 77, 78, 79 have springs in the left shifter.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 01-27-24, 03:47 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
For a flat bar on-road bicycle. I’ve wondered if a Retrofriction, or a Shimano spring assisted light action on a Paul’s thumbie, or equivalent, mount might be really slick.
The Simplexes would, indeed, be slick, as they are the slickest friction shifter ever made by anyone.

Only problem is, for this application, that they take Campy-head cables, so you'd have to buy different shift cables for your front and rear shifters. Which would suck. It wouldn't suck a lot, but it would suck.

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 01-28-24, 01:05 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’ve run a Campy shifter cables with Shimano downtube shifters. I bought some to use with Ergos that never worked out. I didn’t want to toss them, so I figured way not use them.

The cable head might be smaller but it isn’t really going anywhere.

John
Old 01-28-24, 02:37 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The new Dia-Compe version of the old Suntour Power Shifter is available as a thumb shifter, not as silky smooth as the Simplex but was anything else that good?
Old 01-28-24, 06:41 PM
azgreg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by csport
Yes, you should be able to do this. Friction shifters are more forgiving in terms of FD specs.

I've used these on a number of bikes. They work very well.
Old 01-28-24, 08:25 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
The new Dia-Compe version of the old Suntour Power Shifter is available as a thumb shifter, not as silky smooth as the Simplex but was anything else that good?
I've had both the Simplex retrofrictions (later "teardrop style") and the Rivendell / Dia-Compe Silver 1 downtube levers. The Simplexes are smoother, having a slip clutch instead of the barely-perceptible micro-ratcheting action of the Silvers. (Which are a reproduction of the 1986 Suntour Sprint levers.)

I love them both. They're quite similar, and yet also rather different. The Simplexes are not only slightly smoother, but they're a bit lighter in lever effort when downshifting. I suspect this is a function of the small barrel... they pull less cable per angular movement of the lever. As you might expect, they're also noticeably slower-shifting. The biggest downside to the Simplexes is the mounting screws. They're flat-head, they're made of really soft metal, and they pretty much just suck... and, so far as I've ever been able to figure out, nothing else works, so if you bugger up the slots, you're pretty much hosed. Oh, and the compression from the screw pre-loads the clutch, and they work loose over time, so you'll have to periodically tighten them, and then, well...

The Riv / Dia-Compe Silver 2s use a bar-end / thumbshifter shape, with the micro-ratchet guts from the Sprint D/T levers. Suntour never made that. The PowerRatchet thumbshifters and BarCons used a similar mechanism, but it had bigger teeth in the ratchet.

If I had to bet (your) money on it, I'd bet the Silver 2s would work best. I'd think that either of the downtube levers would be so long as to be really awkward mounted on a swept-back handlebar.

--Shannon