Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Saddle Choice??

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Saddle Choice??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-12, 08:38 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Saddle Choice??

It seems no matter what bike I'm riding, my saddle is never comfortable enough. Anyone have any good suggestions on a decent saddle? I'm a lightweight guy riding a steel cyclocross bike. Mostly road riding for me. Thanks!
Old 05-20-12, 08:45 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
You may be like me.
I stand up alot and pedal.

Old 05-20-12, 08:52 PM
BikinPotter

Bikes: Marin MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What sort of discomfort do you have, if it's not too embarrassing to discuss your nether regions?
Old 05-20-12, 08:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
I get some irritation only the left side. Never on the right side.

Old 05-20-12, 09:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Personally, I like Brooks saddles.

But first, before you decide on a saddle, make sure you bicycle fits. If you have a bicycle that fits you well, you expand the selection of saddles that can work for you.
Old 05-20-12, 09:35 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IchbinJay
It seems no matter what bike I'm riding, my saddle is never comfortable enough. Anyone have any good suggestions on a decent saddle? I'm a lightweight guy riding a steel cyclocross bike. Mostly road riding for me. Thanks!
Hope you're not one of the many like me who endured a numbered of different saddles, including a B-17, for several years before switching
to a bent. Problems solved.
Old 05-20-12, 09:51 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have experience with a whole lot of different saddles, but I've found the Serfas RX is very comfortable for me. My rides are usually 15-30 miles, but I've done a 120 mile ride without much discomfort.
Old 05-20-12, 10:00 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Asking about specific models seems to makes sense at first, but everybody eventually has to find one by trial and error. Check your LBS for a box of "take off" saddles and start going through them, hit up all your buddies for any saddles hanging around in their closets, look in used bike shops for bargains- in short, try as many as you can. Hopefully you`ll find one that does it for you. In addition to the saddle itself, try messing with the height, tilt, and fore/aft adjustments, try different types of shorts and/or underware, maybe butt cream or powder.
Old 05-20-12, 10:02 PM
Ruby13

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse , M300 and Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assume you have a good pair of shorts or bibs and use a chamois cream. I've gone through a number of saddles on my mtb/hybrid and road bike. I have been using the standard Prologo that cannondale put on my Synapse but it was only good for about 20 miles and I started to stand a lot. Tried a number from my LBS including a cobb saddle that is more geared for triathalons and almost bought but kept looking. Recently picked up a Fizik Antares which is flat but gives in the middle and better padded than their other models. So far so good with my longest ride 40 miles and still comfy.
Old 05-20-12, 10:42 PM
keithm0
Grizzled Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon, Specialized Stumpjumper (hardtail), Kona Humuhumu, Co-Motion Nor'Wester

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a) Try a Selle An-Atomica saddle. They're awesome.

b) Irritation on one side may be due to a leg length difference. If that's the problem, it can be accommodated somewhat by rotating your saddle slightly (see https://www.selleanatomica.com/resour...structions.pdf). I had this very issue because my right leg is ~12mm shorter than my left. Rotating the saddle eliminated the irritation.
Old 05-21-12, 12:28 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Selle Anatomica. made to be a long distance saddle.. in USA

Or something like a Selle Italia turbo ,san Marco Rolls

Recently I bought a Fizik vitesse. but I'm a fat old man.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-23-12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-21-12, 06:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
For years I have intentionally had my saddle turned slightly to the left (when looking down at the saddle, turned slightly counterclockwise) but I have been doing that for so long that I do not recall what caused me to start doing that. It was a sore spot somewhere but I do not recall exactly what was sore.

Sore on only one side could mean one leg is longer than the other?
Old 05-21-12, 06:30 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I use to have that. I shimed my right shoe with 2mm of shims and that took care of it. Tilted pelvic.
Old 05-21-12, 07:06 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I use to have that. I shimed my right shoe with 2mm of shims and that took care of it. Tilted pelvic.
Interesting. My saddles are very comfortable, but I still get occasional saddle sores, particularly when putting in a lot of miles. The sores are always on the left side. How do you know which shoe to shim or how much? Is it just trial-and-error? Also, how do you shim if you use SPD pedals and cleats?

BTW, regarding choosing a saddle that fits, the best advice anyone can give you is to buy your saddle from a store with a wide selection that allows returns. Finding a saddle that fits is trial-and-error. I probably tried a dozen saddles before I found one that fit me perfect, and I've since bought about 5 of those saddles and installed them on all of my bikes. Proper set up is also important. Some saddles fit me best when perfectly level, others if slightly up-tilted in the front. Tilting the front down never works for me.

Last edited by tarwheel; 05-21-12 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 09:49 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Also, how do you shim if you use SPD pedals and cleats?
BikeFit.com and several other companies make shims that can be used to compensate for leg length discrepancies. Usually shims are inserted between the cleat and the shoe. Unfortunately, with SPD cleats you'll have the cleat protruding past the bottom of the shoe before too long. At that point, your choices seem to be shims placed inside the shoe or building up the sole of your shoe so that the cleat no longer protrudes. I've heard of people using DIY sole modifications or getting a local shoe repair shop to help out. Don't know that either is ideal.
Old 05-21-12, 03:37 PM
George

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Interesting. My saddles are very comfortable, but I still get occasional saddle sores, particularly when putting in a lot of miles. The sores are always on the left side. How do you know which shoe to shim or how much? Is it just trial-and-error? Also, how do you shim if you use SPD pedals and cleats?

BTW, regarding choosing a saddle that fits, the best advice anyone can give you is to buy your saddle from a store with a wide selection that allows returns. Finding a saddle that fits is trial-and-error. I probably tried a dozen saddles before I found one that fit me perfect, and I've since bought about 5 of those saddles and installed them on all of my bikes. Proper set up is also important. Some saddles fit me best when perfectly level, others if slightly up-tilted in the front. Tilting the front down never works for me.
I used the plastic from a ice cream container for my mountain bike shoes and cut them the same size as the cleat. I used 2 shims on that, but I know I could use another one. If I did that I would need a little longer shoe. I bought the other ones for my Look pedals and the LBS. I forgot that 10 wheels doesn't use cleats and they do sell inserts for inside your shoes as well.

To find out which side you need the shims. I layed on the floor and had my wife pull on my legs and she seen that my right side was longer than my left. Keeping my legs straight, doing a situp, my legs were the same length. That means that I have a tilted pelvic. I had to shim my right shoe to kick my butt over to the left. That way it quits rubbing on the saddle. Just for good luck I moved my cleat on my right shoe forward about 2mm.

I got tired of the plastic saddles and I just put a Brooks Swallow on my bike and that also helps.
Old 05-21-12, 03:43 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I currently have a cheap Orbea OEM saddle that's surprisingly small and stiff. I also ride with chamois shorts. The discomfort seems to be mostly on my sit bones. I do have the saddle a bit low because of an achilles injury.
Old 05-21-12, 03:51 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I run Brooks saddles almost exclusively, but that is after 40+ years of riding experience and they work for me, usually right out of the box.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-21-12, 04:03 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I run Brooks saddles almost exclusively, but that is after 40+ years of riding experience and they work for me, usually right out of the box.

Aaron
This is good to know. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Which model would you recommend?
Old 05-21-12, 04:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
All my Brooks saddles are B17s, but my favourite right now is my green B17 with titanium rails. I've been riding B17s since 2004.
Old 05-21-12, 05:44 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
This is good to know. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger. Which model would you recommend?
Depends on the style of bike and your size. I prefer the sprung saddles. I use B66/67 on my upright bikes, city bikes and folders. I use the Brooks Flyer on my drop bar and touring bikes. It is the B17 top with a sprung frame. Next time I am going to try the B17 Imperial. I am a bit over 200# so the sprung saddles work well for my needs.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-21-12, 08:26 PM
TheReal Houdini

Bikes: Cervelo P3 (retired), Habanero Road, Novara Safari, Batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go read the Brooks website. If your handle bars are a few inches below your seat, get one of the Road/MTB models. Otherwise it's the B17. Unless you are riding really upright (odd on a cross bike), in which case, go for one of the City/Heavy duty models.

Suspended leather saddles are a whole other world, a previously unimaginable level of comfort.
Old 05-21-12, 08:32 PM
George

Posting and asking that question on this forum, I would think you would need the B 17. Shop around and you can get a pretty good price on one. If you don't like it you can sell it pretty easy on e-bay. Good luck.
Old 05-21-12, 09:11 PM
Shifty
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by keithm0
a) Try a Selle An-Atomica saddle. They're awesome.

b) Irritation on one side may be due to a leg length difference. If that's the problem, it can be accommodated somewhat by rotating your saddle slightly (see https://www.selleanatomica.com/resour...structions.pdf). I had this very issue because my right leg is ~12mm shorter than my left. Rotating the saddle eliminated the irritation.
Yes, the Selle Anatomica is the best!! It is worth every penny I spent for mine. The first ride after installing mine was a full century, NO discomfort, it was like I had been riding it for years. If you are looking for the most comfortable saddle, this is it, well worth the investment.
Old 05-21-12, 10:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 1,390 Posts
The OP doesn't say how much he rides or the exact nature of the discomfort, other than that it involves sit bones and he has his saddle set lower than normal.

Possible to post photos of the Orbea saddle? Orbea put many different saddles on their bikes, most of them of high quality. It's very possible that the saddle is too narrow for you. Bike shops will measure your sit bone width for you. That is a good place to start.

It's also possible that you just haven't ridden enough. It takes months to achieve real comfort on a bike saddle. Sit bone discomfort is almost always just a lack of hours on a bike.

Sometimes people will get sit bone abrasion, which means that they are rocking their hips when they pedal. This is usually because the saddle is too high, but I suppose it could also happen if one were not flexing the knees and ankles normally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.